Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Iang87 wrote: »
    Not sure about best ever but in my top 3 I'd have scholes in there but how can that be possible because i'm a liverpool fan.

Honestly you and the guy who said it first are the only 2 I've ever seen make reference to Giggs being the best footballer in the premiership ever.

Time for a poll....

Giggs has made a valuable contribution to every singe United title winning season, especially post Christmas when the league is won like for example..

-2003, scored the equalizer in title decider at Arsenal
    -2007, scored the equalizer away to Fulham
    -2008. scored the second goal to beat Wigan, winning the league.
    -2009, scored the winner at Upton Park were United have a terrible record
    -2011, moved to Centre Midfield, phenomenal performances in the last 10 - 15 matches of the season with Fletcher out injured..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

bullvine wrote: »
    Time for a poll....

Giggs has made a valuable contribution to every singe United title winning season, especially post Christmas when the league is won like for example..

-2003, scored the equalizer in title decider at Arsenal
    -2007, scored the equalizer away to Fulham
    -2008. scored the second goal to beat Wigan, winning the league.
    -2009, scored the winner at Upton Park were United have a terrible record
    -2011, moved to Centre Midfield, phenomenal performances in the last 10 - 15 matches of the season with Fletcher out injured..

You're joking surely, Sarcasm doesnt travel across the internet well but you must be joking. West ham, wigan, fulham, replacing darren fletcher. Christ

You're joking surely, Sarcasm doesnt travel across the internet well but you must be joking. West ham, wigan, fulham, replacing darren fletcher. Christ

-He scored vital goals against Wigan and Fulham away from home, what so hard to understand about that, I said he made vital contributions which would involve scoring key goals.
    -United have beaten West Ham around twice at Upton Park in 20 years!
    -The same Fletcher who was in the PFA team of the year the previous season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Greatest footballer in the premiership? Really,

yeah, really - huhh

I'm amazed anyone would have giggs ahead of scholes as United's greatest ever premier league player that's before you even consider other teams. Either way people are clearly deluded or trolling so I'll just stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Playing at 40 and the most league titles for a player, dominated the left wing for years and has done well centrally, yeh I would say that makes him the best.

He's the best only on consistency and titles won. Certainly nowhere near the best in terms of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm a United fan and I wouldn't even rate him as their best player in the PL era.

Scholes, Keane, Cantona, Ronaldo (for many one of the best of all-time. Think about it) all ahead of him in my opinion.

Longevity of career shouldn't be considered when analysing a player's greatness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Haters gonna hate.

1460154_662754883744991_325086498_n.jpg

Either way people are clearly deluded or trolling so I'll just stop

speaking for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Henry is the premier leagues greatest player.

Yes I'm biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

zerks wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate.

Who's hating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Amazing the way he has escaped the hate that John Terry and Ashley Cole have considered he was shagging his brother's wife. Great player yes, but a despicable individual. Was disappointed when I heard that news as he was one of the more likeable professional players, but now I despise the man as a person. What a scummy thing to have done. Completely tarnished his legacy, for me anyway.

Who's hating?

:o
    :P

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

THFC wrote: »
    Amazing the way he has escaped the hate that John Terry and Ashley Cole have considered he was shagging his brother's wife. Great player yes, but a despicable individual. Was disappointed when I heard that news as he was one of the more likeable professional players, but now I despise the man as a person. What a scummy thing to have done. Completely tarnished his legacy, for me anyway.

on the pitch there is no denying his achievements.

off the pitch there is no hiding from his mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I'm amazed anyone would have giggs ahead of scholes as United's greatest ever premier league player that's before you even consider other teams. Either way people are clearly deluded or trolling so I'll just stop

The same Scholes who didn't start in many games for club and country? Overrated player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Longevity of career shouldn't be considered when analysing a player's greatness

What a silly thing to say, of course it should be considered. You can argue all you want about how much of a factor longevity should be considered and that's fair enough but to say it shouldn't be a factor at all when judging how great a player has been is ridiculous.

Agueroooo wrote: »

Mistake is a very generous term for what he did.

But yes, agree completely. Fantastic player, but complimenting him is something I'd rather not because of his behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Agueroooo wrote: »

Going out, getting drunk and kissing/sleeping with a randomer is a mistake.

Having a full blown affair with your brothers wife is disgusting. I've no idea how he still has such a good name compared to others.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Mistake is a very generous term for what he did.

But yes, agree completely. Fantastic player, but complimenting him is something I'd rather not because of his behaviour.

Look I am no fan of Ryan Giggs the man, but I can appreciate what a great career he has had.

besides we all make mistakes - probably not the best word to use, but you catch my drift.

As a previous poster said, its Giggs longevity and consistency that probably makes most people call him the greatest.

However, in 20 years he was never once in my opinion been the best player in the United team nor the first name on the team sheet unlike Cantona, Keane and Ronaldo have been.

There's a great article by James Lawton in today's Indo about it. Check it out.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    speaking for yourself

So you'll honestly stand over the statement that Ryan giggs is the greatest footballer the premiership ever seen.

Your head is up your hole if you think that, I'm not knocking giggs and didn't really at any stage but he's simply not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Going out, getting drunk and kissing/sleeping with a randomer is a mistake.

Having a full blown affair with your brothers wife is disgusting. I've no idea how he still has such a good name compared to others.

Look its not like he done anything illegal, immoral yes but its not like he killed someone. People have affairs all the time in the real world and anyone outside those directly affected rarely bat an eyelid. Its nobodys business other than his own. People love to take the moral high ground when it suits.

Anyway, He is a great athlete and footballer and deserves the majority of the accolades he receives. However he is no way the greatest footballer the PL has ever seen. He's played with a few players who i would rate much higher and against a lot more.

As people have already said, Giggs wouldn't even get in the best United midfield of his era. Let alone the best player in the leagues history, Jesus.

So you'll honestly stand over the statement that Ryan giggs is the greatest footballer the premiership ever seen.

Your head is up your hole if you think that, I'm not knocking giggs and didn't really at any stage but he's simply not

certainly sounds like your knocking giggs in your patronising snipes - i said i didn't rate him as a person , but over the course of the Premiership he has been the best player in my mind. you may not agree , and that fine , but less of the ****in personal ****

certainly sounds like your knocking giggs in your patronising snipes - i said i didn't rate him as a person , but over the course of the Premiership he has been the best player in my mind. you may not agree , and that fine , but less of the ****in personal ****

What personal **** and where did I snipe.Its beyond me how you can think he's been the best player you'be ever seen in the premier league. Did you stop watching in 95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What personal **** and where did I snipe.Its beyond me how you can think he's been the best player you'be ever seen in the premier league. Did you stop watching in 95

I think he means this kind of talk. You can converse in a less aggressive manner in the future.

Did you stop watching in 95

i said consistent player of the premiership -

Kilnsman had one great year , does that make him great ?
    Rooney , Cantona, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Henry. Keane all had good seasons, even Ginola had a couple of good seasons, but Giggs has done it now for 20 years , sure not the best year in year out - but he has been exceptional every season, and in most games i have seen him play . Lets agree to disagree.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think he means this kind of talk. You can converse in a less aggressive manner in the future.

I feel the first point is valid given the nature of what he said and felt the second point was valid as its the only way he could logically think what he said

yeah, really - huhh

No you said this after I put a question mark on your initial post. So you started with the attitude let alone a ridiculous point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rooney , Cantona, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Henry. Keane all had good seasons, even Ginola had a couple of good seasons, but Giggs has done it now for 20 years , sure not the best year in year out - but he has been exceptional every season, and in most games i have seen him play . Lets agree to disagree.

He just hasn't though

• Advertisement

You're putting far too much on the 20 years. I don't watch united week in but could someone tell me how often in the past10 years you would call him first choice.

Not being smart I genuinely am just not sure but I'd guess 3 maybe

Rooney , Cantona, Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Henry. Keane all had good seasons, even Ginola had a couple of good seasons, but Giggs has done it now for 20 years

I'd have all those players over Giggs. As or most consistent, I'd have Lampard over Giggs.

No you said this after I put a question mark on your initial post. So you started with the attitude let alone a ridiculous point

so who then is your favourite all time player for the premiership ? one name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Henry for me and I'm a united fan

He was out of this world

Favourite is Gerrard. Not saying he's the best though

Favourite is Gerrard. Not saying he's the best though

well I could equally sneer at Gerrard , but I'll be polite - he is a decent player and a much better person than giggs ever will be - butt remember opinions are just that. Good luck.

well I could equally sneer at Gerrard , but I'll be polite - he is a decent player and a much better person than giggs ever will be - butt remember opinions are just that. Good luck.

Sneer cos he's my favourite, sneer away. You called giggs the best thats what i sneered at.

It feels like i'm arguing with 3 people

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

While I don't I despise the guy by any means, I'd more inclined to agree with most of THFC's post. If you're a football fan, it was somewhat disappointing to hear what he was getting up too a couple of years ago or whenever that story about the affair with his brother's missus came out. No doubting talent and longevity though.
    zerks wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate.

Surprised you didn't post some Red Cafe inspired anti-LFC picture, though you probably meant haters as in Liverpool supporters anyway given your generalisations and admitted pure hatred in the past :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

you're having a laugh, yeah?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jul/21/steven-gerrard-court-trial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He didnt :confused:

While we are on that subject yes what he did was as low a thing you could do to your brother. Maybe the lowest without a prison sentence involved. Totally agree there.

But he did not escape the hate.

You're just looking for drama.

He didnt :confused:

While we are on that subject yes what he did was as low a thing you could do to your brother. Maybe the lowest without a prison sentence involved. Totally agree there.

But he did not escape the hate.

You're just looking for drama.

Giggs doesn't get half the hate Cole & Terry gets, especially Terry. Considering what Giggs did was the worst.

Giggs doesn't get half the hate Cole & Terry gets, especially Terry. Considering what Giggs did was the worst.

Show me this hate Terry gets?

Show me this hate Terry gets?

Are you serious? Terry gets hate everywhere, If you don't know then you've been living under a rock. No point explaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not a Man United fan but Giggs isn't your best player of all time, he just gets talked about more because of that longevity. Ronaldo won ye titles on his own, he was double the player Giggs has ever been.

Keane, Schmichael, Scholes, Vidic, Van Nistelrooy all had bigger and more important impacts than Giggs imo.

Of course, he has still been an absolutely fantastic servant for Man United and a great player

Are you serious? Terry gets hate everywhere, If you don't know then you've been living under a rock. No point explaining.

He really does not. You need to stop being Drama Queen about this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Not a Man United fan but Giggs isn't your best player of all time, he just gets talked about more because of that longevity. Ronaldo won ye titles on his own, he was double the player Giggs has ever been.

Keane, Schmichael, Scholes, Vidic, Van Nistelrooy all had bigger and more important impacts than Giggs imo.

Of course, he has still been an absolutely fantastic servant for Man United and a great player
    Ronaldo will never be held in the same esteem as Giggs. Scholes is the only one you mentioned that will go down close to the legendary status he will have at the club.
    Not the best player in regards ability (not far off either) but blows them out of the water when it comes to who will be better remembered in 20-30 years down the line for what they did for United.

Couldn't give a flying f**k about his private life either. I'm only concerned with what he does for Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ronaldo will never be held in the same esteem as Giggs. Scholes is the only one you mentioned that will go down close to the legendary status he will have at the club.
    Not the best player in regards ability (not far off either) but blows them out of the water when it comes to who will be better remembered in 20-30 years down the line for what they did for United.

Couldn't give a flying f**k about his private life either. I'm only concerned with what he does for Manchester United.

maybe not because he left but no denying who is the more special player. Ronaldo won United titles, I'm not sure Giggs ever had the same impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    maybe not because he left but no denying who is the more special player. Ronaldo won United titles, I'm not sure Giggs ever had the same impact
    As I went on to allude to when I mentioned ability. Ronaldo won't ever be close to Giggs in the legendary status at United.

bedrock#1 wrote: »

maybe its me, but a bit of a dust up in bar , is still better than riding your brothers wife - certainly in my mind , and I have been defending Giggs here, all day from various snipes about his playing ability, which I still hold to be totally outstanding..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
Advertisement