Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop and TV

• 18-02-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have a Samsung flat screen TV and a Latop

I have successfully connected the Laptop to the TV via a standard monitor cable ( the one you would use to connect your laptop to a Dell monitor ) so all fine here

So I want to use the Laptop and tv combo to watch things online

As I said the picture is fine

Only problem now is thay the sound only come through the laptop

What cable would I need to make the sound from the Laptop come through the TV speakers ?

Would it just be 1 3.5mm jack on both ends and plug to headphone jack on PC and headphone jack on TV ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

I use a HDMI cable to do the same thing and sound comes from TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭obi604

fabricator wrote: »
    I use a HDMI cable to do the same thing and sound comes from TV.

Is a HDMI cable for sound only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

Nope, does picture aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

I have an older samsung(about 3-4 years old) and next to the vga connector on the back of the tv is a 3.5mm input for sound from a pc/laptop. I've connected my own laptop and sisters netbook to the tv this way, so if that is available on your tv then yes a 3.5 to 3.5 audio cable will do the job.

lambchops wrote: »
    I have an older samsung(about 3-4 years old) and next to the vga connector on the back of the tv is a 3.5mm input for sound from a pc/laptop. I've connected my own laptop and sisters netbook to the tv this way, so if that is available on your tv then yes a 3.5 to 3.5 audio cable will do the job.

Thanks for reply, I have that 3.5mm headphone jack too on my samsung TV next to the VGA connector.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Is a HDMI cable for sound only ?

Is the DHMI cable you have like this : http://cgi.ebay.ie/1-8m-6ft-VGA-HDMI-Cable-Notebook-Laptop-PC-TV-/400196168684?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5d2d8cebec

or like this : http://cgi.ebay.ie/1-3b-5m-GOLD-HDMI-Cable-Lead-1080p-TV-laptop-xbox-ps3-/370414463190?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item563e6c28d6

Hello again,this 3.5mm connection on the TV, does it have a picture of headphones beside it ?

Hello again,this 3.5mm connection on the TV, does it have a picture of headphones beside it ?

There's no headphones next to it. It should just say "audio in" and it'll be right next to where you have the cable for the video feed from the laptop connected. It should be similar to the pic below, which is from the back of a samsung.

http://www.ln46b750-lcd.com/res/img/334906592440dt1.jpg

Just on a side note hdmi will only be of any use to you if you have a hdmi output on the laptop. Otherwise your going about the it the right way.

thanks again, I have 2 ports on the back of my tv and I think the 2 of them are 3.5mm jacks. One of the jacks has a headphone symbol picture next to it. The other says PC / DVI audio in. I presume I should use the PC / DVI audio in jack.

And yeah, checked me laptop and there is no hdmi port so will have to go with above solution

• Advertisement

thanks again, I have 2 ports on the back of my tv and I think the 2 of them are 3.5mm jacks. One of the jacks has a headphone symbol picture next to it. The other says PC / DVI audio in. I presume I should use the PC / DVI audio in jack.

And yeah, checked me laptop and there is no hdmi port so will have to go with above solution

PC / DVI audio in is the one you want. Just plug one end of a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable into the headphone jack on the laptop and the other end into the PC / DVI audio in and that'll sort your audio problems.

sound, thanks for all the help

Anyone know of there is such a thing as a converter to convert a HDMI ended cable to USB, so I could use a HSMI cable and plug it in to USB port on laptop via this converter

If so, any idea of the cost ? rough estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

Hi,

I also want to connect laptop (dell inspiron 1300 - quite old) to tv (sony quite new). Can I just use the vga-hdmi cable as explained above? will this do sound and vision?

thanks

Advertisement