Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle night club closed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

What town is this night club in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annemorris

does anyone no was the castle open in the 80s or what year did it open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

AFAIK it has been opened since the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

If memory serves, there were roller discos in the Castle in the early 80's - Sunday afternoons I believe.

Also, there were night time discos there around the same time and you went upstairs to the 'balcony' for the basket of chicken and chips at 11:30pm - sth to do with licensing laws IIRC.

Weren't they great craic??:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annemorris

thanks ya it was good craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

TheChevron wrote: »
    AFAIK it has been opened since the 70's.

The very first time I went to the Castle was 1971 to see the Horslips (God I feel ancient :o) It had been open a few years at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

paulaa wrote: »
    The very first time I went to the Castle was 1971 to see the Horslips (God I feel ancient :o) It had been open a few years at that time

Built on the garden of the castle c. 1961-63. Originally known as the Castle Ballroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

klong wrote: »
    Built on the garden of the castle c. 1961-63. Originally known as the Castle Ballroom.

I think for a while it was used as a parish hall too.
    Do you , or anyone, know if there are any photos in existence of the gardens around the castle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

The Athenaeum would have acted as the parish hall; the Castle Ballroom was built by the Athenaeum committee at the time.

Yes ,there are photos of the garden. Mainly taken inside the gardens, so there would be a fairly limited view of what was there.. They were half an acre in size. Might be one or two of the garden taken from the castle.

Advertisement