Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 weeks in Central America... What to do?! :)

• 18-02-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I dunno wether I would have been better off posting this in the main travel forum but this forum seems to be the specific forum to post my request so here goes....

I'm flying into Mexico City on the 18th of March and will be joined by a friend three days later.

I was just talking to her and we kinda figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some kind of itinerary so we'd have a rough plan as so to make the most of our five weeks out there as we have to be in Panama City on the 26th April to catch our flight to Lima, Peru.

So basically I'm asking people who've been there before what are the things to do in Central America? Which countries are a must-visit? Which are the countries that you'd advise to give a miss? Any tips whatsoever would be much appreciated and would be a great help!

Cheers!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Hi,

just saw this thread and I'm also looking for info on Mexico. (Flying into Cancun and have 2 weeks in Mexico, flying back from Mexico city).

Wondering if anyone has been or if they've any recommendations on where\what to do there.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭UngratefulWhelp

I was in southern Mexico for two weeks a couple of years ago. Flew into Cancun - and got the hell straight out of it. I speak Spanish, so I was using local buses to get around, but buying tickets shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

First went to Valladolid, which is very close to Chichen Itza, the best-known Mayan site. There are also underground caverns called cenotes there, which are great. The town itself ain't up to much though.

Then we went to Merida, which is a reasonably pleasant, if unremarkable city. From there, we went to Palenque, where there were more ruins and we stayed in a jungle hostel and lastly to San Cristobal de las Casas, which is in Zapatista territory. San Cristobal is quite backpacker-y and welcoming, but we took a trip up to a village outside the town and there was a different atmosphere.

Basically, the locals are not all that keen on foreigners. We'd read that they don't like being photographed, least of all their religious ceremonies, which are kind of animist/Christian. One guy saw a (switched off) camera in my wife's hand and went ballistic. We had to go through all the shots on it to prove we weren't filming on the sly.

However, that was the only incident of any kind. People there are very friendly generally speaking and it's quite safe. We spent the last few days at Isla Mujeres, which is beautiful. I'd highly recommend the place - it was very cheap too, although we were there at the height of the swine flu panic and there were few other tourists.

Advertisement