Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a parked domain

Options
  • 18-02-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I own a few sites, and for one, I own the .org and the .com versions of the site.

Any ideas how I can get the .net for it? It's currently owned and has been renewed until the 31st of Dec this year. Currently it's just parked. How would I go about buying it and would it be expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's probably listed with one of the domain name brokers, such as Sedo or BuyDomains (there are others)

With Sedo, for example, you can simply make an offer via their site and the seller won't know who you are ie. your name email etc., aren't visible to them.

The other option is to get Sedo or one of the others to attempt an acquisition for you.

In terms of price - it will depend a lot on the domain name itself. If it's something quite obscure then the price would be a lot lower than something keyword rich

So you'd pay a lot more for something like forumsoftware.com than you would for ilikeforumsoftwarecositr0cksmyw0rld.com (just a silly example)

Generally speaking the price of a .com is going to be a lot higher than that of any other extension.

Pricing on domains vary a LOT. You can get names for a little over registration fee through to hundreds, thousands and even millions of euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭stephenpalmer

Wouldn't bother with .net I own a couple of these.. they rarely sell for much..

Why are you buying this for you own website or to sell on the domain later?

A lot of people own domains (including my self) there parked and the revenue from them can barely cover the cost of the yearly registration.. so even if you offered the seller $10 they might be inclined to take it. All depends really on the seller.. you can generally tell by the layout of the parked domain, which company is providing the parking.. well in most cases

Eg bottom left corner would have provided by sedo or provided by godaddy..

Here is one of my parked domains that are also up for auction and i'm using Sedo. Actually just removed link.. as red warning at top of forum lol Best of luck with them anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I think he is looking to buy the .net to protect his brand or site. As for buying a domain off someone for 10 dollars i would find that very unlikely as it really depends on the keywords in the name of the domain and its estimated value. People always renew domains that arent getting much traffic in the hopes that someone will eventually need it and thats when the money comes in.

Advertisement