Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Paul Scholes Appreciation thread.

• 18-02-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Seeing as some players only need to have few decent games to have a thread, I think a thread for one of the greatest players of all time is long overdue. Take a bow Paul Scholes.

One of the finest passers, unreal vision and shooters to ever grace green grass. His tackling was a bit off from time to time;) but otherwise this lad had it all.

Zidane said that Scholes was his toughest opponent and Xavi only recently said that this chap was his Role Model, I think I need not say anymore.

As the t-shirt says.
    Get Up
    Go to work
    Play the game
    Get Showered
    Go Home
    That's Paul Scholes.

schol_2462346.jpg

paul-scholes-trophy.jpg

paul_scholes_wideweb__470x295,0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

His tackling is god awful

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He actually brings his kids to school in between getting up and going to work!

That's a true legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

FYP

Haters Gonna Hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Now I want just one more season...... Fast foward to next season and I'll probably be repeating myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Love the man, will be a sad day when he stops playing, which will be sooner or later, but he was the best midfielder I've seen play at a match, and that includes Roy Keane, Xavi, Iniesta, Zizu and many more.

"Club legend" is only true for few players and one of them is Paul Scholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Woulda been more apt if Xavi6 started this thread. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He has no football agent which is one of the things I really admire about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sadly i think this season will be his last at United.

Top player who like Giggs adapted his style as he got older.
    Few have passed a ball like him at Old Trafford.

Will never forget this goal..top drawer
    Scholes v Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The man is a role model, such a quality player.
    Love how he shuns the limelight, so quiet and unassuming.
    Can't remember the last interview he gave...

Always remember the story in Keanos book, when scholes, becks , neville etc were all given a bonus in the early days...but the players decided to do a lottery for it all.
    Neville , becks and the other young guns didn't want to as it was a lot of money for them at the time.
    But Scholes and Butt threw their money in the pot anyways....so the rest of the team just gave them the lot instead of drawing for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a professional player, the tops. As a tackler well....

One forgets how his career might have ended when his vision thing happened, by the time he recovered that could have been the end of him in the top flight game (so fast can teams change these days) but he came back good as new (apart from the tackling thing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Can't wait for Bamboozling's post in this thread.

The best player to ever play in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Seeing as some players only need to have few decent games to have a thread
    Haters Gonna Hate

Abso-fucking-lutely. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mike65 wrote: »
    As a tackler well....

Someone will have to remind me of a player who spent time out injured from a Scholes tackle. Honestly can't think of a bad injury he's caused.

Absolute legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thread is useless without vids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think I need not say anymore.

Yes, you need not have started a thread on the matter either.

He was one of the best footballers of his generation and anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Paul Scholes.
    Is without doubt.
    The greatest footballer/player.
    To have played for Manchester United.
    In the 30 or so years i have loved the club.
    Stick your Cantona love tards.
    This Ginger shíte tackler was as sublime as our club could ever have.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

If you've nothing to contribute then stay out of the thread. Back seat modding, off-topic posting & threadspoiling will all be infracted from this point out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Which thread will get more posts - Scholes or Giggs?
    Maybe we should start a thread on it?

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Scholes > Giggs tbh. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

d22ontour wrote: »
    Scholes > Giggs tbh. ;)

I'd find it hard to call to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Best english player i have seen in my lifetime.

I'd find it hard to call to be fair.
    I wouldn't.
    The guy had such a technique unparalleled for an English footballer to possess, it's quite outstanding to think to think England could produce such a player.
    What's even funnier is they actually wanted to drop him to play a midfield of Gerrard and Lampard...I guess we all know they got that scenario wrong on epic proportions, eh ? ;)

d22ontour wrote: »
    I wouldn't.
    The guy had such a technique unparalleled for an English footballer to possess, it's quite outstanding to think to think England could produce such a player.
    I would agree.... England produced a player who couldn't tackle for shít;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Incredible player & professional. Would love to have had a player/person of his quality playing for my team during his hay days!

signed, Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

mars bar wrote: »
    He actually brings his kids to school in between getting up and going to work!

That's a true legend!

or most premiership footballers with kids and in their 30's

they dont all go round spitroasting young ones

quality player, but was there any need for the thread?

how could anyone disagree :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Either way, this thread will quietly try to make it's way onto page 3 or 4, hoping everyone is watching the Giggs thread, then sneak out of the forum while nobody's looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Like many have said...such a great player. An absolute pleasure watching him through the years. Also such a professional and a private man which is honorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

from one of Utd's greatest ever, Bobby Charlton, before Utd won the European Cup in '08.

one of my favourite quotes ever about a rival player.
    "I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football," said Charlton. "It's Paul Scholes.

"Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich.

"Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley.

"When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to comeout of his every pore. He's always on the ball, always turning on goal.

"He's always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill."

"I'm so pleased for Paul," said Charlton. "After what happened when he missed the Bayern Munich final, he deserves to be in Moscow more than anyone.

"He loves the club, he loves his family and is a true professional.

It would be fitting for him to win the European Cup after the fantastic career he has had."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Either way, this thread will quietly try to make it's way onto page 3 or 4, hoping everyone is watching the Giggs thread, then sneak out of the forum while nobody's looking.

I like to believe (naieve) that football is appreciated by all fans, Scholes is the epitome of a proper footballer. Give him the ball regardless of how many players around him and he wont lose it, he wont make a mazy run for goal but will lay it off and move into a new position always wanting it and never losing it. Players like him make "football" happen.......scholes....fap fap fap

Swear to jaysis its hard to believe he is english AND a ginger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I set up this thread not to get a load of thanks or to get as many posts on the player as possible, or to get on peoples noses (never been my style, never will), I did this to show people who admired a player who was dedicated to playing the game without the baggage that so any players like to come with in todays game.

I just felt a guy who tries to be as truly professional deserves a special mention, ya im United fan maybe slight biased, thats all if you dont like or believe me thats your tough.

Anyway someone wanted videos so hear some just to admire his passing, control and few decent goals.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Coming from an avid arsenal fan i think scholes is one of the best in the game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

He scores goals galore, he scores goals.
    He scores goals galore, he scores goals.
    He scores goals galore,he scores goals.
    Paul Scholes, he scores goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Legend, some unforgettable goals in that vid above. I'd forgotten about that one v Tunisia, cracker. He scores goals indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Meh, hes no Xavi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Since everyone is posting videos...

3 years on and I still laugh at John O Shea's reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any chance of an appreciation thread prefix for us that don't want to see all these. Don't mind that there is one for any player but its getting a bit silly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

great player, him and giggsy... what was he doing with that handball though! rememebr seeing it live and thinking wtf

Advertisement