Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodquay symbols above doors

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Treadhead wrote: »
    As a kid I used to think it meant there was a Garda living in the house... sure were a lot of Gards in woodquay! ;)

I believed that it was a Guard lived there as well! I didn't think Guards still lived there, but I thought that a guard must have lived there at some point and the tile was still there....

I use the past tense "believed" as I learned reading this thread over the last 3 minutes that this is incorrect...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I heard it had something to do with the Eucharistic Congress in 1932. Perhaps that's when the houses were built.
    My mother was born in 1932, and says that when she and her classmates made their Communion a few years later, they were given medals with the same crest, because their birth year coincided with the Eucharistic Congress. So she figured that any houses with the same plaque must have been built in 1932. (She was not brought up in Galway though, so wouldn't remember the area at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

im fairly sure that these symbols are an indication that heroin may be purchased from the home owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

eagle10 wrote: »
    afaik they are blue plaques that at a glance look like little garda symbols.

They read IHS it means "I have sin(ned)" JUst an old religous thing to the best of my knowledge you see them on older houses around henry street too

IHS is short hand latin for jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I have sinned?

I have suffered?

I Haz Sheezburger!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

dan hibiki wrote: »
    im fairly sure that these symbols are an indication that heroin may be purchased from the home owner.
    Would explain why I'm going out of business. Where can I get one fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would explain why I'm going out of business. Where can I get one fitted?

These days i think you have to apply directly to the Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Treadhead wrote: »
    As a kid I used to think it meant there was a Garda living in the house... sure were a lot of Gards in woodquay! ;)

Forgot I used to as well!

For those who couldn't be arsed to read the thread, and are having the Latin/Greek/I Have Sweeties debate, here's a linky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

IHS
    way back in my schooldays i was told it meant "in his name", ie in God's name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

bagels wrote: »
    IHS
    way back in my schooldays i was told it meant "in his name", ie in God's name

IHS means, in Latin 'Iuses Hominum Salvator' meaning Jesus Savior of Men.
    The small blue plaques were put above doors in 1954 to mark the Marian Year. I just asked my mother, she is 100% sure of this.

• Advertisement

From Galway Independent

index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rebloom

Amazing that this thread went for 3 pages before someone rightly said that IHS meant Iesus Hominum Salvator "Jesus Savious or men" Latin of course and on His Cross when he dies was written INRI Iēsus Nazarēnus, Rēx Iūdaeōrum Jesus the Nazareen King of the Jews.
    The Symbols were put up in the Marian Year and other similar symbols are on houses in other parts of Ireland I believe I have seen them in Limerick. Marian year of 1954 was decreed by Pope Pius

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    How the fk did you manage to find this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

^
    How the fk did you manage to find this thread?

Blessed with out-of-this-world Google fu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MixedMessages

Not just in Galway

Ennis has quite a few; Limerick, Cork & Athlone has some.

Also Ballinrobe, Annascaul, Dublin and Ennistymon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MixedMessages

It appears that they were originally made for retreat by Franciscan friar, Fr Francis Donnelly, in 1914.

In 1932, around the Eucharistic Congress more were fitted - the one in Dublin has 1929 date. When I met a houseowner outside Ennis, I was told the tile was put on house when built in 1932.

A new range was made in 2014

http://readingthesigns.weebly.com/dublin-yhs-tiles.html

5288897_orig.jpg

Advertisement