Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie interview with Dylan Haskins

Options
  • 18-02-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Dylan Haskins came into us yesterday to answer some of the questions put to him on this thread.

Despite the same heavy workload all candidates have, Dylan and his team gave us some time. Many answers to questions in the full thread are covered in the discussion. Time constraints on both sides prevented us from asking everything, but I hope this will be of interest.

I'm aware the sound is a bit dodgy so I've posted the questions I asked him below:

You support free education, but what other reforms would you like in our education system to help drive the smart economy?

On your website you mention a creative investment fund, which would be funded by donations from companies fulfilling their needs for corporate social responsibility – including many who are here, primarily, to save money through our tax regime. Given the climate, and how companies come here simply to save money, isn’t that a tad idealistic?

How much do you think could be raised through targeting these corporations for money?

How do you plan on persuading older voters to side with you, and what are your thoughts on the problems of our ageing population in the coming years?

The Irish language is a topic in the news. How is your command of it?

Who is funding your campaign? Were you part of the aborted Democracy Now grouping?

You are running as an independent. Independents can't make laws, can't make changes to laws, and can't even speak in the Dail if they are not in a technical group. Why should someone vote for you – or any independent - instead of the likes of Lucinda Creighton or Ruairí Quinn, who will at least guaranteed a position to legislate or speak out?

What are your positions on abortion, and on gay marriage and adoption?

Name three items of Budget 2011 that you would change, and exactly what your alternative would be. Name three items of Budget 2011 that you wouldn't change and why.

If you have any comments, please leave them below.

If any candidates or parties wish to contact us, you can get me at hello@boards.ie

Thanks

Darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MareAtlanticvm

Thanks for the answer. Best of luck with the rest of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dannny1

It's depressing to actually hear how naive you are. Intel etc. don't plough capital into 'creative' ventures for two reasons. Put quite simply, there is no financial return. By investing in start ups in an industry they know about, they can help the start up expand and employ more people. This creates jobs, which people (well maybe not the people you hang around with) want and beneift from. Also, Intel says no, then what? Tax them or fail.

On Fine Gaels proposals on Irish. Compulsory Irish has failed. It's as simple as that. What would you do to promote Irish? Nothing? Read the f***king policy. (I'm not fine gael btw)

Fine Gaels donation policy is more about the unions. The same unions that claimed not to be a vested interest, but sent a letter to all their members urging them to vote left. You sound over confident when you scoff and assume these people haven't thought policy through. They have. Make sure you understand something, it's full implications, before you scoff.

'head shop legislation....' Basically, 'Ill manipulate the media to promote policies I support, nevermind what the people think'.

Your answer to the last question was so terrible, I'm sure you cringed yourself. In the next week, try and show you have a deeper undestanding of economic policy, an undrstanding that gives people who can't pay their mortgauage or send their kids to school, confidence.

You have to train people to use Linux.

And yes, I am annoyed that you completely avoided my questions. For weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

My question made it, woo! He didn't really answer it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Tough crowd, considering THE MAN IS A LEGEND.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Centaur

He says early on that there is nothing he can do about the fact that he looks younger than he is. Wrong. There are numerous things he can do. Apply make up, get plastic surgery, become a heavy smoker and drinker (I'm guessing that he isn't). He fell at the first fence in this interview as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He got my question on the Irish language. :cool:
    Ok answer I suppose, it'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

dannny1 wrote: »
    On Fine Gaels proposals on Irish. Compulsory Irish has failed. It's as simple as that. What would you do to promote Irish? Nothing? Read the f***king policy. (I'm not fine gael btw).

This topic was one of the tipping points for me in the election, Cumpolsory Irish has not failed, the out dated course has failed, compulsory Irish with a revised curriculum has not been attempted and teaching Irish in a different manner, one closer to French and Spanish, may be a success and a second optional subject of Irish Litriture should be introduced for those looking to study it. I have managed to hold off a rant this long through the campaign and my patience is wearing thin. Ill cut it short here before I start writing a thesis on the subject for every one here on boards.

In regards to other topics, best of luck tomorow to Dylan. It would be great to see some new fresh blood with a new outlook get into some sort of role in the government with an insight into a new Ireland coming from the new generation. Some argue that we need wisened older people at this stage in the turn around but it is those same "wisened" people that have let us down and its time for the youth to take some power.

Advertisement