Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfing in Porugal

Options
  • 18-02-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Planning to go surfing in Portugal this summer, july/August time. approx 10- 12 of us going including 4 kids. I was thinking of driving down on my own, with all the gear, and the rest would follow by plane after, now thinking journey home would take the good out of holidays.

I am confident Novice,(a bit unfit at mo)

Any recommedations on locations, and is drive woth it, cost, time, effort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you had two others with you then you could share the driving but it's massive drive, why not fly and rent boards or buy some there

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

I like the idea of driving down through the continent, I suppose watching Top Gear always makes it look so much fun. I have drove back from london a few times, It is a tiring expierence.

Would you get a choice of boards to hire, or would it be foam/ bic type boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

http://www.surfholidays.com/Destinations/Portugal/Ericeira/Accommodation/EcoLodges.aspx

Went here with a group of 12 in Sept 2008 and it was brilliant. A little on the pricey side but well worth it for what you get. They will also organise lessons for anyone who needs them as well as board hire (not foam boards either, bic or nsp from what I can remember)

We didnt have a car and the beach where we surfed each day was about 5 - 8 mins drive from the cottages so we got taxi minivans up and back each day (for the week there and back and then a run to the airport on the last day i think it worked out at no more than €15 each which is unbelievable value)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 garydsurf

We went to Portugal last year and really loved it! Staying in Sagres was the greatest fun ever. We are planning to go this year again. A local company arranged everything: Surf'inn www.surfinn.travel
    Ask them anything. They have several packs that might fit your needs.
    Have fun!
    Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 slewis

We stayed in the Ecolodges in Ericeira a few years back also and would definietly recommend it - the complex is great for groups - lots of chill out space, big communal bbq. That long drive seems like a nightmare - the motorways get very boring after a while! I would probably suggest getting them to pick you up from Lisbon airport. They will also bring you to the beach each day. You can walk to the town beach but there is no surf on it. The shopping centre and town are right beside the ecolodges so car is not really needed. The beaches and surf were great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

hi there

i'm luis and relocated in galway from sines (portugal) 6 years ago

yes, the journey will take a good bit of your holidays - expect to spend around 1k (return) per car with 2 passengers (boat to france, petrol, food) - with 2 good drivers taking shifts and good road awareness, driving under the speed limit you can expect to do the trip in 3 days - my opinion is to spend those 2k in bubble-wrap and decent surfboard covers and fly with the gear

before you even think about shipping the boards, remember that the water temperatures will be different (specially in southern spots), so the money/hassle you would spend sending your cold-water surfboard might be spent renting a board there instead

the spot you want to stay depends a lot on your team's average surfing skills, nomad-tendency/mobility, time and money available:

-- with a good few euros to spend i would rent 1 van (boards and gear) and small cars for commuting from as far as ericeira down to sagres - there are a few camping parks along the way, as much as small b&bs to stay for the night - check the coast before you start the surf trip and you'll easily know if you should go ericeira down to sagres or the other way around to find spots from beginner to advanced
    -- without as many wandering around, i would still rent the vans and pick an average spot further down south
    -- my advice is to follow slewis and msurfer's idea and stay in ericeira - it is a bit pricy but when you think it takes a lot of the booking-hotel/figure-out-the-road/deciding-where-to-go/wondering-what-to-do out of your back, it is quite reasonable in the end; or gary's idea and find a package

given the locals, you guys might be a bit safer to check-in at some resort - some spots will be crowded and without a local on your side it can be as great as surfing in lahinch

if you have any other question don't hesitate to drop me a line - i'll do my best to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

without a local on your side it can be as great as surfing in lahinch
    What do you mean by this?

Jomob wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

had a few problems with locals in lahinch before just because i was in the water - i was on my own so decided to give that surf spot a pass and go for other places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

ah right. Were ya surfing the beach or the reefs?

reefs - don't think i ever got back to lahinch since so if they wanted to spook me off they succeeded - since then i've been going to sligo or achill

• Advertisement
Advertisement