Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine Died - will Insurance cover it?

• 18-02-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Driving home the other evening a loud banging started happening in my engine. I pulled over onto the hard shoulder and as I did so the engine stalled and died. Long story short when I got it to the garage they found a bearing had seized and the crank shaft was damaged.

The cause appears to have been the oil pump failing. Verdict was a write off...

I'm wondering if this kind of mechanical failure is covered by our comprehensive insurance ( Quinn Direct )?? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd put the question to the more experienced people here...

Thanks,
    Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

No chance. They will not cover mechanical failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

What car is it as a matter of interest ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

not a hope they wont cover failure of any component in a car

Any one else thinking vag ?
    homer90 wrote: »
    What car is it as a matter of interest ?

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »

Yep 1.8T

homer90 wrote: »
    Yep 1.8T
    was guessing 2.0 diesel myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

was guessing 2.0 diesel myself

:eek:

SHUT UP...!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Assuming we are not referring to a shortened version of the female genitalia pray tell to the ignorant; what is a vag?

VW- Audi - Group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group i.e. Skoda (AKA biggest boot ever), SEAT, VW, Audi.

I was thinking Navara 2.5 TD myself.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group i.e. Skoda (AKA biggest boot ever), SEAT, VW, Audi.

I was thinking Navara 2.5 TD myself.....

they have been known to ventilate the block from time to time all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'll go for a Saab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Mazda 6 diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Yup, I'm thinking PD 140 anyway

vectra wrote: »
    :eek:

SHUT UP...!!! :D:D
    EPM wrote: »
    Yup, I'm thinking PD 140 anyway

As ye know chaps VAGs are not my field of limited expertise, but the 2.0 diesel I was thinking of was the first ones 2005/2006 vintage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

exactly what happened my astra, voting that astra 1.4 petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

As ye know chaps VAGs are not my field of limited expertise, but the 2.0 diesel I was thinking of was the first ones 2005/2006 vintage :)

Yup, the 2 litre PD engines:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

well its not a honda :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

projectgtr wrote: »
    well its not a honda :D

I'd genuinely donate my car to charity if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

1997 Mazda MPV

Just going from older posts of his, but he might have a different car by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I'd genuinely donate my car to charity if it was.

it was a joke but that made me 819_rolling-vi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28 varney

Thanks folks.......... looks like there's no point in even ringing the insurance so...

I'm surprised at all the speculation over make and model... Corkie was closest........it's a Mazda MPV diesel ( 2.3 I think..) 1997...

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Ireland doesn't have a servicing culture and where it does the wrong oils are used at the wrong times. Oil and filter in VAG engines needs to be changed every 10k(ignore extended intervals) with fully synth 5/40 or 5/30 in the case of the 1.8t that meets vws specs. I have a 1.4(supposedly rubbish engine but actually great) with 80k + miles from new on 5/40 and its smooth like a sewing machine still.
    I had a toyota 1.3 98 that was run by a relative with low oil albeit fully synth where the oil pressure light(not level) was lit up for a few weeks and when I saw it I panicked. When the oil was changed a half liter came out,instead of 3.5! The engine still ran like a sewing machine when I let it go at 130k miles on it, I doubt a VW engine would but there we go...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

varney wrote: »
    Thanks folks.......... looks like there's no point in even ringing the insurance so...

I'm surprised at all the speculation over make and model... Corkie was closest........it's a Mazda MPV diesel ( 2.3 I think..) 1997...

Mike

Think you'll find Corkie was only second. Senna got it spot on :D

:D

lomb wrote: »
    I have a 1.4(supposedly rubbish engine but actually great) with 80k + miles from new on 5/40 and its smooth like a sewing machine still.

Wow :eek: 80K miles, that's unreal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Wow :eek: 80K miles, that's unreal ;)

Id happily drive the 75bhp another 80k but Ive got a 225bhp audi roadster TT now so the golf will have to take a back seat for the moment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'll go for a Saab!

Yup, considering what happen the last time you went for a Saab...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Yawns wrote: »
    Think you'll find Corkie was only second. Senna got it spot on :D

:D

I win because senna searched his post history as he said himself... I win!!!!..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Talking of the 1.4s, my brother just bought an '05 1.4 Octavia yesterday. I tried not to laugh when I heard the engine size, I really did. That said, he took me for a spin in it this morning and I was impressed. Quiet, comfortable, no squeaks or rattles and a boot you could start a small war in. Good spec too, but no alloys for some reason. I wouldn't buy less than a 1.9TDI in it myself, but it takes all sorts. Considering they were going to buy a' 06 1.6 Passat, I think the Octavia is the lesser of two evils.

Advertisement