Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask The Candidate - Sheila Cahill, Green Party, Limerick City

• 18-02-2011 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I'm standing for the Dáil representing the Green Party in Limerick City.

I'm a small business owner and my background is in improving the governance of community and voluntary organisations. I'm campaigning on a platform of clean politics, a real economy and a better Limerick. You can find out more about me and my policies at http://limerickvotegreen.com

If you would like to ask me any questions about me and my policies please do so here. It's a bit hectic a week out from the election but I'll try and check back every day or two and do my best to answer your questions.

Hopefully we can have a civil and constructive debate, it would be great if all candidates used avenues like this to connect with voters.

Thanks,

Sheila.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

Why are you standing for the Green Party and are you fully supportive of their policies?

Surely it would have been better to campaign as an independent where your reputation wouldn't be tarnished by standing with a party that could very well be obliterated.

I would usually be open to listening to any candidates policies but your position in campaigning under the Green Party banner has left me the option of not considering you for election.

I wish you all the best in your personal career, but on your basis of standing with the Green Party I can't wish anything other than failure.

Stuffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

What kind of business are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oddly enough. I thought I posted, but I guess it didnt. Have you emailed Dav to ask permission to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm standing for the Dáil representing the Green Party in Limerick City.

Your party helped foist NAMA and a blanket bank guarantee on us, and is also abandoning its polluter pays principle in order to add stealth taxes to law-abiding and conscientious citizens of this state.

So not a hope in hell.

If you choose to run as an independent, get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Jumpy wrote: »
    Oddly enough. I thought I posted, but I guess it didnt. Have you emailed Dav to ask permission to do this?

This has the blessing of the Admins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

First, please ignore the people who conveniently forget:
    1) about FG's backing of the Bank Guarantee,
    2) the fact that fluctuations in the price of oil are what have caused the vast majority of the increase in the cost of fuel and that carbon taxes are designed to reduce our dependence on such fuels and therefore our exposure to such fluctuations.
    3) that FF has enough TDs to form a government in 2007 without the Greens and that Enda Kenny vetoed down the only other alternative.

Second, thank you for actually engaging with us and being willing to answer questions. I realise that the Greens have some good national plans and that there is great hope for employment in Green tech in Belmullet and other locations. But what about Limerick? To be blunt, what difference would having a load of Greens in the Dail do for unemployment in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

As well as the GP appaling record in the insolvency of the State something else you guys were more preoccupied with.....

John Gormley, Green Party Chairman, statement to the Irish Anti War Movement Press conference (Tuesday May 22nd 2007) "Our election manifesto states unequivocally: *End the use of Shannon Airport by US military forces involved in the war in Iraq"

You seemed to have suceeded.....

"Shannon airport had the worst decline in the 300-airport survey - dipping 37.2% in 2010 compared with 2009."

Maybe if your party spent as much time worring about the welfare of your own constitutents as you obviously do about Citizens other Countries you may have had some chance. Also the 5 individuals ( a few GP Members in there) who put pick axes into a B737 at Shannon belonging to the US Government in 2006 cost the State €2.5M + in damages - I wonder how many people this would this money give a Carers Allowance to? A lot of people who were employed in Shannon thanks to this Transit traffic. Something that seemed lost on the GP.

Patricia Forde Brennan got 190 Numer 1's approx in 2007 - I would'nt expect any GP candidate in Limerick City to achieve more that 70 First Preferences.

R.I.P G.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

flutered wrote: »
    koyasan, the carbon tax will never reduce our dependance on fossil fuels, it is a stealth tax.

@ Koyosan's argument - What a dull clang is made when aimless idealism meets ill informed ignorance.

Here we suffer on daily in this beleagured State with a low density, micro population that would fit in a Matchbox in terms of Global scales/population density and yet we still are unfortunate enough to suffer a carbon tax so that our Green Party co-citizens can progress from being the classroom window-licker to Star of the 2010 Oslo Conference on Climate Arse Buggery.

"Delegates my name is John Gormley and let me assure you that as Fianna Fail line their own pockets and bankrupt the Irish State we are building Lego Windmills and training Stags to ride Scooters"

Before tax a litre of petrol is (someone help out please - perhaps 60 cents?) I know I have no LUAS, Underground rail, or even bus service to use as an alternative seeing as the Greens presided over massive cuts to our public transport system. Do they expect me to pay €2 per litre for petrol to save 12 Penguins or else quit my job? What a sickening, stunted, warped, childish, Ill conceived and ridiculous notion to have gotten away with - which they have - so far......

Sheila I hold you and yours in the same bracket as any other anti social element in my life - The Green Party experience is akin to waking up to a smashed front door, stolen car, mugged family member etc. Your Friends are stealing from us and profiting from our misery and enough is enough.

The difference between FF and the Greens is that in 2007 inbred Ireland voted FF thinking they were crooked but good for yours truly but the Greens don't even have the decency of the common criminal that steals out of misfortune and lean times, no the Greens steal because it's their hobby and a nice distraction in between the Hunt Ball and the Chelsea flower show.

How dare they and what possessed you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

A few years back the green party got a vote off me. This was when I believed jobs would be created through initiatives and bringing us on par with Germany's reputation as an efficient recycling nation. 3 years in to your power sharing with Fianna Fail saw your party having a go at the working class and the poor of this whole country.

What madness drove you to becoming a far right capitalist money hungry grabbing party. What lunacy drove you all to bankrupting the country, agreeing with your masters in the bank. Is Government to represent the masses or to represent the elite? Why didn't ye have the cop on to stand up for us? Why did you turn your back on Limerick? Why did you turn your backs on the whole Island and leave us as slaves to the IMF. In the green party's case sadly your time in Government was spent giving two fingers up to the normal decent working people of this island.

You may receive votes from the ones the recession hasn't hit, but here in Limerick the ones who have been hit are the majority and I seriously urge the good hard working "unemployed" people of this city to return the two fingers to those who pushed you out of your jobs and left you in the lurch.

Having a decent job nowadays is the envy of your friends, relations, and aqcuaintances, how sad, how very sad to see a generation cast aside because those in power lapped up massive wages and drove around in chauffeur driven mercs.

I have worked in the developing world where corruption was the norm, but corruption there was tiny compared to the corruption which beggared this once prosperous island of ours.

So if you want me to ask a question it would simply be, what empty promises, what favours are you going to grant the poor? Why do you want to be in power? do you want to control others with what you think is the way we should be? And finally, what can your small tiny party possibly acheive in government apart from taxing us to the hilt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure what way to vote, I've never given a No1 to a Green candidate but I support with some of their policies.
    For me, the fact that they supported FF has very little baring in how they should be seen in the this election, the small party in any coalition will always suffer at the hands of the big bad wolf. IMHO, the one topic thay made a stand on was a stupid one - stag hunting, while our health service falls back about 10 years.

The fear I have is that the stealth taxes being imposed by Green policy is costing me way too much and I cant see how I can steer myself away from these and it's mainly around energy - electricity, heating and transport. All of these not only hit me as an individual but also as a consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hi Sheila.

First of all, fair play to you for looking to communicate with your constituents in this way - you're the only Limerick city candidate who has done so. It takes a bit of courage for any politician to take this approach, as there is much less control of the electorate's response than a lot of other ways of canvassing (as is obvious from most of the posts so far).

I have a few questions for you.

First of all, it seems to me that after being in government for 3 and a bit yeats, the current image of the Green party is one which betrayed its principles to get into government, and people are no longer sure what, if anything, the party stands for. Do you agree that this is a common perception of the party, and if you do agree, what is the party / should the party be doing to remedy this?

Secondly, we hear a lot about how we all benefitted from the good times, so we all have to share the pain. This is a very general statement, and brushes under the carpet the fact that there are plenty of people who never really benefitted from the bubble economy. I want to ask you how you justify your party's position that everybody in Ireland has to pay off the debt generated by the decisions of other people, who are in many cases the kind of bondholders -the only people guaranteed not to lose out?

Thirdly, it is clear that the government's position is that in the event of a bank being unable to repay its debts, the government is obliged to step in and take on those debts. Given that this is the case, how do you account for the almost total lack of regulation of the banks by the body which had to assume all debts banks generate? In what way, if any, did the Green party push for greater regulation of the banks?

Although I think the odds are very much stacked against you, I wish you luck in the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sheila Cahill

I've tried to answer some of your questions below. Thanks to all who responded. I will check back Sunday or Monday and answer some more questions, if they are asked.

Sheila.

Why are you standing for the Green Party and are you fully supportive of their policies?

I'm standing because I don't believe that TDs should be voted in based on what side someone's grandfather fought in the Civil War, how many potholes they get fixed or passport applications they help submit, or how many big businesses have donated to their political campaigns. I believe that the Green Party policy platform is one that can build a fair and sustainable Ireland.

What kind of business are you in?

I run a small business providing training and consultancy, mostly in the area of governance, to community and voluntary organisations. I've put more information on my Tell me Why profile which you might be interested in: http://www.telluswhy.ie/limerick-city/sheila-cahill/

What difference would having a load of Greens in the Dail do for unemployment in Limerick?

A small example of the kind of employment that can be generated in Limerick is Southill Community Services. Under the Warmer Homes Scheme they provide insulation and energy-efficiency measures to homes in Co. Limerick, East Co. Clare, North Co. Tipperary and South Co. Offaly to low-income households under the Warmer Homes Scheme. I don't have the current number of people employed under this scheme in Southill to hand, but it's a real example of the kind of "Green Jobs" that can deliver for Limerick.

I also think that the party's proposal to train 20,000 unemployed people to work with 100,000 Irish businesses to help them sell their products and services online is a policy that would bring benefits to Limerick.

Finally, Limerick's position on the western seaboard and our access to road and rail links, as well as our access to talented graduates, would make it an ideal location for a green technology hub. Our geographical position makes us an ideal place for timber processing, sustainable food processing and creative services. We could play to those strengths.

First of all, it seems to me that after being in government for 3 and a bit yeats, the current image of the Green party is one which betrayed its principles to get into government, and people are no longer sure what, if anything, the party stands for. Do you agree that this is a common perception of the party, and if you do agree, what is the party / should the party be doing to remedy this?

I'm sure people do hold that view, I'm not sure it's widespread.

42% of people voted in 2007 for Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach. Nobody was more unhappy about this result than me and my colleagues in the Party. Fianna Fail were, after all, the party that was the worst culprit (with Fine Gael a close runner-up) in corrupt re-zonings and the cosy relationship between business and politics. It was a Fianna Fail councillor, after all, who physically assaulted Trevor Sargent when he tried to ask about donations from property developers in Dublin City Council.

I say all this because we will go into government with any party who will help us implement our policies. That's not because we're unprincipled, but because we respect the constitutional right of the people to say what parties they prefer to have in government through a general election.

To be honest, I don't think that what the party stands for has changed at all. In a nutshell, we're about solutions for the long-term future of this country, and better leadership to get there.

I want to ask you how you justify your party's position that everybody in Ireland has to pay off the debt generated by the decisions of other people, who are in many cases the kind of bondholders -the only people guaranteed not to lose out?

I can see how your argument is attractive, but Ireland simply cannot unilaterally force senior bondholders to share the burden of our bank debt. Bad enough as the consequences for the euro would be, the consequences for the Irish economy would be greater because the funding that we currently need from outside to run our banks and public services would dry up.

Given that this is the case, how do you account for the almost total lack of regulation of the banks by the body which had to assume all debts banks generate? In what way, if any, did the Green party push for greater regulation of the banks?

There's an important point in the banking crisis which I think has been missed. The seeds of the banking crisis were sown well before 2007. I agree that there was not enough regulation of the banks. I assume that's why the banks donated money to the election campaigns of Labour, Fine Gael and Fianna Fail - certainly the cosy relationship between politics and the banks contributed to the "light touch" regulatory environment.

What did we do? Without the Green Party we wouldn't have got the first ever independent governor of the Central Bank. We wouldn't have got Matthew Elderfield appointed as Financial Regulator. We have brought an independence into the oversight of the banking system which will help prevent this sort of crisis from ever happening again. And if we had got our corporate donations bill through the Dáil, we would have prevented the banks from ever trying to influence the political system through donations again.

Finally, a few brief points on the carbon tax: firstly all the main parties support retention of the carbon levy, secondly it currently only represents about 4c on the price of a litre of fuel, and thirdly it makes sense to tax something that is undesirable for society (carbon emissions) rather than something that is desirable for society (work, i.e. income tax). If you took away the carbon levy (and again I must point out that no other mainstream political party supports this), you would just have to raise it from other tax sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

At least she answered a few questions anyway.

All the unemployed in Limerick will work at insulating houses, maybe in the ghost estates to keep the mice warm next winter:)

In fairness she answered a few questions, but she seems as clueless as any other Green Party members I have encountered.

And to think it isn't a widespread view that the Green Party deceived the people is laughable, she will know all about it in a few weeks.

Thank Christ they will be gone in a few weeks so we won't have to listen to junk about insulating houses when the county has thousands unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Finally, a few brief points on the carbon tax: firstly all the main parties support retention of the carbon levy, secondly it currently only represents about 4c on the price of a litre of fuel, and thirdly it makes sense to tax something that is undesirable for society (carbon emissions) rather than something that is desirable for society (work, i.e. income tax). If you took away the carbon levy (and again I must point out that no other mainstream political party supports this), you would just have to raise it from other tax sources.

On your bike Sheila just like your Leader!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

On your bike Sheila just like your Leader!

A bit more maturity, please. I'm sure you'd expect the same if you were to post here under your real name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Finally, Limerick's position on the western seaboard and our access to road and rail links, as well as our access to talented graduates, would make it an ideal location for a green technology hub. Our geographical position makes us an ideal place for timber processing, sustainable food processing and creative services. We could play to those strengths.

Our exports are about our only success at moment and you state the carbon tax adds 4c a litre on our transport cost. What additional cost is this having on our cost effectivness? Your point about Limerick is welcome but why would anyone set up on the west coast with the cost of transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I would have real sympathy with Green politics and prior to your time in Government would have voted green. However, your party enabled the destruction of an entire Irish generation's hopes and dreams. I can never vote for your party again - ever, I hope your party is utterly destroyed in the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Your party has very strongly links with lunatic extremist groups such as ICABS. Do you support such militant groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just looked at the Boards GE election poll, and Willie O'Dea is still getting a large portion of the vote :confused:
    What are people thinking really? I was on FAS this morning and all the jobs were working for the dole. Full time jobs for qualified teachers and nurses, all for 200 quid a week.
    I'm a fully qualified disability support worker, and been working in the field for the last 5 years with masses of experience, and I'm expected to work for 7.65 an hour now. I would f*cking love to see Willie O'Dea work a full days hard work with me and feel satisfied taking home €60 at the end of it.That barely covers my petrol!
    I did calculations last night and Mary Harney's once off bonus payment for leaving the dail is that same as what I earn in 15 years, and that was even during the 'good' times!The Greens did nothing to stop the demise of this country and presided in facilitating the gross inequality between rich and poor.

I have nobody to vote for in West Limerick as FG and Labour are the exact same as FF. I wish I had transferred my vote to Limerick city and I would definitely be voting for Cian Prendivelle and the United Left Alliance. I feel nothing but disenfranchised during this election, and despite being a bright,intelligent hard worker, I see no future in this country for me If FG get in, and will be booking a one way ticket out of here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sheila Cahill

What additional cost is this having on our cost effectivness? Your point about Limerick is welcome but why would anyone set up on the west coast with the cost of transport?

By my calculations, current carbon tax on petrol is less than 3% of total cost.

Current fuel costs in Ireland are actually pretty average compared with other Western European countries - see http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Petrol-Prices.aspx

Finally, it will be a strategic competitive advantage for Ireland to be less reliant on oil. We should be harnessing the wind and wave resources that we have for our energy needs, rather than importing oil from unstable Arab countries.

Your party has very strongly links with lunatic extremist groups such as ICABS. Do you support such militant groups?

I am not a member of the Irish Council Against Blood Sports. I am opposed to sports that pit one animal against another, but I wouldn't consider it a core part of my policy platform or my political views.

I would never support violent action against people or animals to pursue political aims. As far as I know the ICABS do not advocate violent means of protest. I think that categorising them as "lunatic extremist" and "militant" is inaccurate.

Yes, a few people in the Green Party are involved in (peacefully) campaigning against blood sports. Probably more in Co. Limerick than in urban areas, as we have quite a lot of farmers who are members of the party who hate having the hunts trespass over their land. But there are far more Green Party members who are involved in actively campaigning against bad planning, or for better public transport, or for political reform.

These were the only two follow up questions that I could see, and this thread seems to have turned into a more general political discussion, so I think I will leave it there. It was an interesting experiment, although perhaps it could have been a more constructive discussion. Thanks to all who asked questions, and hopefully you got some answers to your queries.

If anyone would like to email me with any other questions you can do so to sheila@limerickvotegreen.com and I'll do my best to respond before the vote on Friday.

Thanks,

Sheila.

I would never support violent action against people or animals to pursue political aims. As far as I know the ICABS do not advocate violent means of protest. I think that categorising them as "lunatic extremist" and "militant" is inaccurate.

I have personally seen surveillance of people killing a hare and then attempting to video/photograph the dead animal (they didn't get that far), to protest against coursing. I was there when these people were caught, I'm not involved in the sport I was aiding a neighbour who said there was intruders on his land, and upon investigation they had an affiliation with the ICABS.

I'm not suggesting this was condoned by the ICABS and I know you have stated you don't support it, but I would definitely classify these actions as "lunatic extremists" and "militant".

Apologies for going off-topic and I am not condoning the sport of coursing, but I cannot let such organisations be defended when I have seen their brutal acts first hand.

It was nice of you to attempt to answer people's queries and I'm sure people appreciate that. However, imo you would be deluded to think that you have a realistic chance of being elected.
    I'm sure you could have campaigned your views effeciantly had you ran independently but I will not even be reading your manifesto, you will simply be going to the bottom of my vote card due to your political affiliation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

What additional cost is this having on our cost effectivness? Your point about Limerick is welcome but why would anyone set up on the west coast with the cost of transport?

Current fuel costs in Ireland are actually pretty average compared with other Western European countries - see http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Petrol-Prices.aspx

Finally, it will be a strategic competitive advantage for Ireland to be less reliant on oil. We should be harnessing the wind and wave resources that we have for our energy needs, rather than importing oil from unstable Arab countries.

Sheila why don't you point out a wind or wave powered Car and educate us so we might bow to your logic and pursue your rational and utterly feasible alternative?

- The Green Party needed to fix public transport before punishing consumption of petrol/diesel, we can't leave the Car at home because the Bus/Train/Tram is not in place now and with you and yours acting for us then they never, ever will be.

Was there no other hobbies left to try that you had to run for Political Office? They do 10,000 piece jigsaws now you know......

I also am curious re the funding of your core business, are you formerly public gone private? Please excuse my innocence, I'm not familiar with your concerns and the organisations, contacts involved etc. Just curious as to how did that all play out historically, a casual question only and asked upon reading your brief bio from the link provided above which gives only some details in brief.

P.S - I think the Family in number 45 might be Arabs, is there a number I can ring if I observe instability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Will you wind up your current business interests or will your snout be in multiple public sector troughs if elected to Dail Eireann?

If Aer Lingus pulled out of Shannon again, and you were in government and it went to a Dail vote would vote for the people who elected you or would you tow the party line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

phill106 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the breakdown per every euro spent on petrol, how much the government gets out of it.
    All very well saying carbon is bad, but how are those of us outside dublin city centre supposed to get to work? I live in shannon, work near mungret.
    Until we have an effective, nationwide, affordable public transport system, servicing all areas, don't put up fuel costs!

Breakdown here in the price of a litre of fuel:

http://www.pumps.ie/FAQPricesExplained.php

Summary: A litre of unleaded costs €1.46, Government takes €0.85 from that including the tree hugger carbon tax.

Friday is judgement day for these gombeens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

If elected will you cease to run you current business?

Could you please point me in the direction of a practical day to day car powered by wind or waves?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've removed 21 posts from this thread and used them to start another one.

From here on in:

If you have a genuine question for the Green Party candidate Sheila Cahill, post it here.
    If I feel a post is unsuitable for any reason, I will deal with it accordingly.
    This may be a small <snip>, a post deletion or a ban, depending on the post-content.
    If you want to debate any of the answers here with other posters, then use the other thread.

According to Sheila's post 22, she won't be posting here again.

osarusan wrote: »
    According to Sheila's post 22, she won't be posting here again.

Hmmm. I'll ask a few questions about this. A representative posting three times in 4 days is not what I had in mind for this thread.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. I'll ask a few questions about this. A representative posting three times in 4 days is not what I had in mind for this thread.
    She (and her representatives) may feel that the two campaigning days left would be better spent doing other things than reading and responding to posts on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement