Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got offer council house from hell !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Because we have a mortgage etc and i don't feel its fair to bring a child into the world unless you can provide for it properly. One of us couldn't afford the luxury of staying at home and who would mind a baby for almost 50 hrs a week.
    I get annoyed when people don't consider these things before having kids and expect the tax payer to foot the bill.
    Don't get me wrong i agree that some people do need a dig out if they have been made redundant etc but people that ride the system are a scurge on society

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

So it comes down to childminders. Thanks for the answer Skittles.

No clouds its not about childminding, its about being responsible. I wouldn't bring a child into the world without giving it the full care it needs.

Some people don't think of this before having kids and expect handouts/ free house etc.... why should the tax payer pay for this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

I used to work in social housing so maybe I can give you some pointers

1. The schemes of many places have changed recently, so you need to check with the Department to see if suspensions or file cancellations apply. It used to be fairly easy going but now with the sheer amount of people on the lists there is no opinion to do so any more. I know in our case we would not accept not liking the neighbours as a reason for refusing a place as our scheme did not allow for that. Also you applied for housing and was offered housing so that end of the obligation has been filled. Unless it was unsuitable for medical reasons it will be deemed a valid offer.

2. Many people on the waiting lists have jobs, just low paid ones. I for instance working in the department qualified to go on the waiting list as I earned so little. The income limit was surprisingly high so I'd urge everyone who hasn't purchased a house to check it out and see if you are eligible. You may then get offered voluntary housing which are social units in private estates. Many low paid workers were on the list as unlike the one parent family or jobseekers payments they didn't qualify for rent allowance/medical cards/move in allowance/fuel allowance etc. so they lived in quite awful situations with major overcrowding and poor conditions. These houses are a valuable asset to the low paid.

3. The rent is based on different rent which means that it is assessed as a portion of your income. Still very very low, but it goes up when you earn more so the question of disincentive comes in. There is also a massive problem with rent arrears, people not paying and it ticking up to 5 or 10 grand in arrears.

4. What many lower paid workers did was live in the council house for 4/5 years save and then buy a place. So if the house isn't perfect you can move in and save to leave like many do.

5. If the lady is living with her partner and claiming OPF tell social welfare and they will sort her out pretty quickly. Also tell the council as she could be in breach of her tenancy and they may remove her. You can do the above without your name going to the neighbour.

Last note is many people wait years and years for an offer and would jump to accept this. But you have to make the decision based on if you need this housing. If you don't take it another family will.

No clouds its not about childminding, its about being responsible. I wouldn't bring a child into the world without giving it the full care it needs.

Some people don't think of this before having kids and expect handouts/ free house etc.... why should the tax payer pay for this??

You said who'd mind the child for 50 hours a week. I say childminder or creche as thousands of other mothers do. 'Responsible' mothers at that. Our children do get the full care they need, my children want for nothing. You probably didn't mean it to come across the way it did. Often childless people don't realise that they are teaching grandmothers to suck eggs.

Again. There's no such thing as a free house. Unless daddy buys it for you. You have to contribute a portion of your income to it, depending on your means.

• Advertisement

Clouds, no i didn't mean the way it came across, what imeant by responsible is being in a position to provide food shelter, warmth etc. i just want to give my future kids the best start in life i can ,as do you i'm guessing. I just can't understand why other people don't consider these things before they have kids.

Agree with you there.

I'd imagine it's to do with the cycle of deprivation. People tend to rear their kids the way they were reared. So if you came from an irresponsible background you'd think 'Ah didn't do me any harm.' A different sort of life doesn't enter most people's heads, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

clouds wrote: »
    Are you still a virgin Monife? You must be. I hope someday you'll earn enough to afford sex with the man you love.

How does income protection work then? Does it pay you your wages for ever and ever and ever or however long it is recessions last for? What does 'searching high and low for a job' mean? Is it different to what most people normally do, the paper, the jobs websites, handing round cv's, asking around, registering with agencies?

So what would you do if your fiance tickled you the right way and then f'ked off leaving you with a child? It happens.

No I am not a virgin. There is no need to start bullying someone over their own opinion. As free and easy as our country is with money, freedom of speech should surely be allowed. Back to where I said I wouldn't let myself get in a situation where I was pregnant with no money, ever heard of contraception. For those who don't like condoms or forget to take a pill, the implanon bar goes into your arm for 3 years. There ya go, prob tmi but you asked.

Monife wrote: »
    No I am not a virgin. There is no need to start bullying someone over their own opinion. As free and easy as our country is with money, freedom of speech should surely be allowed. Back to where I said I wouldn't let myself get in a situation where I was pregnant with no money, ever heard of contraception. For those who don't like condoms or forget to take a pill, the implanon bar goes into your arm for 3 years. There ya go, prob tmi but you asked.

Bullying Monife? Bit hyperbolic surely.
    I'm just asking you how far you are taking your own logic. It's just a question y'know? Freedom of speech as you said yourself. And there's no need to be so snidey & superior about contraception 'Ever hear of it' indeed! Glad to hear you are medically suitable to take hormonal methods. Doesn't suit everyone, nor does it protect against STDs. Still if it works for ya, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

Why the assumption that the OP is a long term scrounger who did not simply fall on hard times and who isn't looking for short term assistance to help her get back on her feet?? People keep saying that they don't take issue to that but seem under the impression that this situation is different?

I also don't understand why there are people here that do not seem to understand that unforseen circumstances can render anyone in need of State assistance. I would not be in a position to maintain mortgage payments, pay child care and support the household were my partner to die tomorrow. Were my partner or myself blinded or disabled tomorrow, we would require assistance no doubt. I can't plan for these eventualities any more than by having 'rainy day' savings and insurance where possible. But in this climate, those would likely be considered "luxuries" by many here.

Also, how are two employed adults working 90hrs a week unable to house and clothe an infant?? CE schemes? No, that would be only 70hrs a week. Confused. I must say, I concur that the welfare system needs MASSIVE reform and stringent policing (I know more than most, as I work in it), but it doesn't excuse taking issue with anyone receiving 'something for nothing' under the assumption (based on no facts whatsoever) that they're a lazy scrounger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daisydais

Monife you dont have a clue what your talking about sorry now....council house is nowhere near free or "nearly free" and i am entitled to that house im in need of it so im entitled!!

i may not be well off but my child is well looked after may i tell you and he goes without nothing!!! Just because i cant buy myself my own house he shouldn of been born?? COP ON!!! he now lives in a nice neighbourhood in a nice house...which in no means is free!!!!!

God ignorance i really hope any of yee begrudgers dont get into that situation because karma is a b*tch!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Has the OP said where she heard the next door neighbours were scumbags yet?

Oh, and handbags at 20 years, people. Turn at noon, and charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

I think most of the people in this thread are barking up the wrong tree...
    Are you seriously expecting the people entitled to dole, rent allowance, free housing etc to give up all their claims because it's quite hard for people who are paying their taxes to foot this big a bill?

Maybe you should instead bark at politicians who decide that 188 euros a week (plus rent allowance, extra for every child, free doctors and dental care etc) is a bare minimum a person could live on. And yet at the same time expect this person to choose to work 40 hours for 300 euros and give up all these benefits of not working?

It's not the fault of the recipients of all this welfare, it's the fault of those who set such rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

tanyabond wrote: »
    Are you seriously expecting the people entitled to dole, rent allowance, free housing etc to give up all their claims because it's quite hard for people who are paying their taxes to foot this big a bill?

Maybe you should instead bark at politicians who decide that 188 euros a week (plus rent allowance, extra for every child, free doctors and dental care etc) is a bare minimum a person could live on. And yet at the same time expect this person to choose to work 40 hours for 300 euros and give up all these benefits of not working?

It's not the fault of the recipients of all this welfare, it's the fault of those who set such rules.

Perhaps you should look at what a person on min wage can get. They too can apply for a med card and anyone under 450 a week is eligible for at least a GP only card.Low income families are eligible for rent relief and family income supplement. FIS is something a person on SW cannot receive, attack the system after researching it:rolleyes:

The government would NEVER make it better to be on the dole than working, only a fool would do that, and for the record, I would gladly come off the dole for 300 a week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Perhaps you should look at what a person on min wage can get. They too can apply for a med card and anyone under 450 a week is eligible for at least a GP only card.Low income families are eligible for rent relief and family income supplement. FIS is something a person on SW cannot receive, attack the system after researching it:rolleyes:

The government would NEVER make it better to be on the dole than working, only a fool would do that, and for the record, I would gladly come off the dole for 300 a week!
    It's not better to be on the dole, but it's not that much worse than minimum wage.

Wolf, even to go by dole alone you are not simply comparing €188 and €300.
    you are comparing €188 and 24/7 of free time and €300 and giving up of your 40 hours of freedom which basically means you are giving up 40 hours of your time for an extra of €112... Would many people choose that?

Wolf, even to go by dole alone you are not simply comparing €188 and €300.
    you are comparing €188 and 24/7 of free time and €300 and giving up of your 40 hours of freedom which basically means you are giving up 40 hours of your time for an extra of €112... Would many people choose that?

Until this recession, no one would!

But having 24/7 at home, looking around you, with only the bare essentials and having to go to family members for the 3rd time this month with a bill you CANNOT pay because even with rent allowance you are still forking over just under 1/4 of your SW on rent.

Having to depend on grand parents to cloth your child because 30e goes on nappies and food each week very bloody quickly. Looking around thinking how am I supposed to have self respect and pride in myself and see myself as a good role model to my child while I do nothing but fail to get a job. I was not raised to think that sitting on my ass was a good way to go through life. I was always told, go to college, get your degree and get a good job and don't end up at the bottom of the heap, yet here I sit, lower than the bottom, and there are days that if I did not have a child I would actually seriously contemplate throwing myself onto the M50!

edit : so to answer you tanya, yes, I would work for 300 a week, even if it meant less money a week into my hand, because I would not feel like a waste of space and my son would see that you earn money, you are not supposed to be just given it!

You will be surprised at the amount of people that are quite happy to sip their dole in a pub or even sit at home and watch television non-stop.
    And when there is a child (or children) there is even less incentive!
    Like in your case you have €218 versus €300 minus weekly childcare (where I am it's €130 a week for one child - so makes it totally not worthwile!)

You will be surprised at the amount of people that are quite happy to sip their dole in a pub or even sit at home and watch television non-stop.
    And when there is a child (or children) there is even less incentive!
    Like in your case you have €218 versus €300 minus weekly childcare (where I am it's €130 a week for one child - so makes it totally not worthwile!)

But if you are low income the government has incentives in place to help you with finances for you and your child and you can use community creches which are a fraction of regular creche prices.

Yes there about 80,000 people in Ireland who will not work, given the choice, but out of the 450,000 of those on the dole there is still around 370,000 that would!

Just read your editing, unfortunately not that many people would share your attitude... If your parents can mind your child (for free:)) than I'm quite certain you should be able to find work if you start seriously looking for it, supermarkets, restaurants, hotels, anywhere at all, just knock on every door and I'm sure something suitable will turn up.

• Advertisement

Just read your editing, unfortunately not that many people would share your attitude... If your parents can mind your child (for free:)) than I'm quite certain you should be able to find work if you start seriously looking for it, supermarkets, restaurants, hotels, anywhere at all, just knock on every door and I'm sure something suitable will turn up.

Grandparents are all in different parts of Munster, I live in Dublin :( Can't move closer to them either as daddy is still in college so he has no income at all! Nor has he grants as this is his second degree.

Trust me, housekeeping and kitchen jobs are not below me, I have worked in them since I was 14 and I would never shy away from a hard days work!

And how much is the weekly rate in a community creche? Maybe that would work in your case?
    Also are you saying there isn't any minimum wage work available in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Grandparents are all in different parts of Munster, I live in Dublin :( Can't move closer to them either as daddy is still in college so he has no income at all! Nor has he grants as this is his second degree.

Trust me, housekeeping and kitchen jobs are not below me, I have worked in them since I was 14 and I would never shy away from a hard days work!

What college is daddy in? Even small VEC colleges will try and help students with childcare and most larger colleges have creches.

And how much is the weekly rate in a community creche? Maybe that would work in your case?
    Also are you saying there isn't any minimum wage work available in Dublin?

Not at all, but it is very competitive recently!

Community creche is calculated on your income, so it is very fair.
    ztoical wrote: »
    What college is daddy in? Even small VEC colleges will try and help students with childcare and most larger colleges have creches.
    He is in UCD, it is 970 a month and the chaplain helps you a little, but it is still about 600 a month. I was a student there too and even with us both there they would not give us much help. I had to quit my degree to stay home with him! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

But if you are low income the government has incentives in place to help you with finances for you and your child and you can use community creches which are a fraction of regular creche prices.

Yes there about 80,000 people in Ireland who will not work, given the choice, but out of the 450,000 of those on the dole there is still around 370,000 that would!

Sorry to interrupt, just wondering about this low income creche thing? Do you have a link or do you know what the income threshold is for a 2 parent family? Would love to know more for when my partner and I decide to have children. Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Monife wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt, just wondering about this low income creche thing? Do you have a link or do you know what the income threshold is for a 2 parent family? Would love to know more for when my partner and I decide to have children. Thanks.

there are a few different childcare schemes at the moment but how long will they be around for anyones guess

at the moment the OMYCA detail with childcare funding - again, with todays election, who knows for how much longer

ECCE
    3 hours a day free pre-school care - this is age dependant

CCS
    the places are subvented based on the parents income

CETS
    free childcare for parents in FAS and VEC course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

SUZY316 wrote: »
    Hello i'm a 33 year old women settled the my partner and 3 kids in waterford, today we got a letter from the council saying we were offered a house :), we were delighted until we found out the neighbors:eek:. a single mother/druggie who has wild partys with her 4 kids there plus she has her boyfriend living on the sly with her Who is a career criminal ,No joking this man is scum drug dealer convicted suspect in several shootings and got with stolen guns after breaking into a farmers house . this man is no stranger to jail .:(

So here's my problem's PLEASE/ADVISE ME :confused:

1) If i refuse will my rent allowance be taking off me ?

2)Will i get another offer as the is a few house empty at the minute ?

3) Will i be taken of the list ?

Thank you !

Just a quick question. Seeing as you have only been offered this property at the time of posting this question. How did you come to know so much about your would be neighbor??:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

professore wrote: »
    How did you save at least € 30 K for a deposit for a house at twenty one while in college ?

My partner had just gone into his 3rd year of his apprenticeship when he got his mortgage at 18 and he had only €6000 on his p60 from the previous year because he had been unfairly dismissed from his apprenticeship the previous year......he didn't have to pay a deposit because he was buying the house for approx 3/5ths of what it was worth.......anyway just goes to show how mental the banks were at the time!

I feel sorry for the OP, there are kids involved and how does anyone here know her circumstances, how would you all feel if it were your own kids or nieces and nephews?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

just thought i would point out - the 'free' dental care you are entitled to these days as a medical card holder is 1 free checkup per yr. if you have any other need of an apt with the dentist, or if he/she finds anything in said checkup that needs fixing you have to pay for it. it is 50quid consult fee with my dentist BEFORE any work that needs doing! madness. so i can see a lot of poorer families going back to the times when they had crappy teeth thanks to Mary bleedin Harney.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hdowney wrote: »
    just thought i would point out - the 'free' dental care you are entitled to these days as a medical card holder is 1 free checkup per yr. if you have any other need of an apt with the dentist, or if he/she finds anything in said checkup that needs fixing you have to pay for it. it is 50quid consult fee with my dentist BEFORE any work that needs doing! madness. so i can see a lot of poorer families going back to the times when they had crappy teeth thanks to Mary bleedin Harney.

The employed are in the same position- where once as a PRSI contributor you were entitled to a checkup every 6 months, an annual descaling (or whatever it was called) and a contribution towards general costs of fillings/extractions etc- now you have nada...... I don't even know why its called PRSI anymore- there are certainly no benefits associated with it........ In future the only people in the country who will have reasonable teeth- will be those who can afford to travel abroad to get their teeth sorted.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement