Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private ambulance VS NAS

• 18-02-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,
    Quick question. what sort of tasks do paramedics in a private ambulance company in ireland do. Do they respond to emergency calls or are they only patient transport, event medics etc

Also, i am required to get a Gardai clearance to work. any ideas how to get that?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Some of the Private Services Respond to Emergency Calls.
    They do so either at the request of the HSE under contract or increasingly (In Dublin) at the request of a Private Hospital who has a patient who wishes to attend there for Emergency Care rather than a public hospital.

For the most part Private Ambulances do inter-hospital transfers, usually under a contract with the HSE, the individual hospital or a Health Insurance Provider. Some of these transfers will be of patients who require skilled practioners to perform intervention and supervise their condition. However as with working in services worldwide, many of your patients will not need interventions in transit. Some of the Private Providers provide cover at events. A small number focus on events / one off transports.

Your Employer should arrange Garda Clearance. One can apply to the Garda Central Vetting Office for a letter stating they have no convictions, however that is not supposed to be used for employment purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aussieparamedic

thanks mate, That helps alot. I have been looking into moving over for quite some time. The calibre of paramedics in ireland is alot higher than in australia. You are trusted to do everything you are actually trained to do. In Aus we have strict protocols which makes some services glorified taxi drivers. Are there many jobs over there at the moment for paramedics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

thanks mate, That helps alot. I have been looking into moving over for quite some time. The calibre of paramedics in ireland is alot higher than in australia. You are trusted to do everything you are actually trained to do. In Aus we have strict protocols which makes some services glorified taxi drivers. Are there many jobs over there at the moment for paramedics?

I have to say, at least from my experience, no. As of last year one of the larger private companies were laying off paramedics, and it's rare enough that the HSE recruit for already registered practitioners. The situation may have changed since though.

Regards private operators, bear in mind that 90% of the work they do is patient transfers and 5% event medics. If you want to get into bonafide emergency patient treatment, the HSE is what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

Elessar wrote: »
    I have to say, at least from my experience, no. As of last year one of the larger private companies were laying off paramedics, and it's rare enough that the HSE recruit for already registered practitioners. The situation may have changed since though.

Regards private operators, bear in mind that 90% of the work they do is patient transfers and 5% event medics. If you want to get into bonafide emergency patient treatment, the HSE is what you want.

or the DFB..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aussieparamedic

so if im already qualified how would I get into HSE, would i have to do the recruiting process and start from scatch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

so if im already qualified how would I get into HSE, would i have to do the recruiting process and start from scatch?

You need to get your qualification recognised by PHECC first. Then when the HSE advertise for qualified Paramedics you apply as you would with any position.
    If you are successful then you do an induction period which includes a week of driving, another week of becoming familiar with protocols, cardiac recertification etc, then you'll be ready to go on the road.

Advertisement