Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys day cake/cupcake ideas?

Options
  • 18-02-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Got my hands on some shamrock n snake jellies am thinking of just making cupcakes with green butter cream but aside from using green food colouring is there another way to make the butter cream green but taste good?
    The only thing I can think of is pistachios crushed and blended with the butter cream but not sure if that would even make them greenish?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Hmmm. Green frosting.. I don't know why but a dark chocolate cupcake with candied mint buttercream sprang to mind. I don't even know if it can be done, but candied mint leaves are delish! :)

I love dark chocolate and mint too, so that might be something new to try! :pac:

As for me, I haven't really thought about St.Patrick's Day!
    I completely over looked it, Easter was on my mind more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh me too but I'm using every excuse I can to bake some more. Never thought of mint dark choc and mint sounds yum. Haven't seen candied mint around where would I get it?

Yeh me too but I'm using every excuse I can to bake some more. Never thought of mint dark choc and mint sounds yum. Haven't seen candied mint around where would I get it?

Even if you had a pale green mint flavoured buttercream and a candied mint leaf for garnish, it'd trump the traditional shamrock!

You can make them yourself :) I've never bought them, but all you need is fresh mint, egg whites and sugar. Some people use a touch of mint extract to get a bigger, punchier mint flavour.

There's a few different ways of doing it but here's one.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/56287/candied-mint-leaves-and-flowers.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The only thing I can think of is pistachios crushed and blended with the butter cream but not sure if that would even make them greenish?

AFAIK it should make it a greenish colour, pistachio icecream tends to be green and if you google (or google image) pistachio buttercream you can see from the pics that it is greenish in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just had a look on you tube there's some vids of people using a green tea powder but hard to tell from it if the green is bright or just kind of a grey/green.
    Pistachio buttercream sounds good I might make a few different toppings just to try them out.
    It's a hard colour to make tasty although brown butter cream made with nutella looks like poo but tastes nummy so I guess you shouldn't always eat with your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I think the green tea powder is Japanese green tea, it's an amazing colour but very expensive. I got some in an Asian supermarket near Powerscourt. Was going to make green tea icecream but never got round to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I wonder if shamrock is edible?
    Maybe you can sprinkle a few sprigs in the cake/cupcakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I wonder if shamrock is edible?
    Maybe you can sprinkle a few sprigs in the cake/cupcakes?

:confused::confused: I don't even know if shamrock is edible but if you sprinkled it into a cake or cupcakes it would surely cook and wilt like skinny spinach? Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Spadina wrote: »
    :confused::confused: I don't even know if shamrock is edible but if you sprinkled it into a cake or cupcakes it would surely cook and wilt like skinny spinach? Not good.

Ok, when you put it like that, it does sound a wee bit revolting :D

• Advertisement

Just checked there, it is edible, has a lemony taste apparently, so could be an idea on top of stuff :)

Hmmm.. Was just thinking about how fashionable Red Velvet cake is becoming. I've seen several variations of it now, one including a green velvet cake.. Maybe green velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and edible green glitter could be a possibility this year!

Any idea what the obsession with red velvet is about? It's just coloured chocolate!! :confused:

Any idea what the obsession with red velvet is about? It's just coloured chocolate!! :confused:

Oh sweet mother. If your red velvet cake tastes like chocolate, you've done it wrong.

I grew up with many a Southerner.. It may call for cocoa powder but it most certainly isn't a chocolate cake.

Cake Man Raven's recipe is quite good. Not much cocoa powder in it either.

:)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

EDIT: And to answer your question, I don't actually know what the obsession is! I've grown up with it, we make it for alot of relatives. I think it's just, unusual and no one can really put a specific flavour to it. I find the flavour very comforting. :)

Sorry I meant cocoa, but the red colouring overload is just a bit gross, that and cream cheese, ew, all round.

Sorry I meant cocoa, but the red colouring overload is just a bit gross, just a weird replacement for the original red hue from the cocoa. That and cream cheese, ew, all round.

It's definitely an acquired taste and not something you'd eat often, but it's unusual and not the worst when you give it a chance. I would never be jumping up and down or requesting it to be made, but when it is, I do have the obligatory slice. :P

Have you ever tried a proper one or are you just judging how it tastes by the ingredients it requires to make it? :)

Yeah I've tasted it, I think the hype was too much and my expectations were too high :rolleyes: I nearly puked when I got the cream cheese aftertaste, never again!

Yeah I've tasted it, I think the hype was too much and my expectations were too high :rolleyes: I nearly puked when I got the cream cheese aftertaste, never again!

Oh dear lord, the cream cheese. With you on that one. The amount of cream cheese it calls for is morbid. I remember my sister and mother got into this mad obsession with finding the PERFECT cream cheese frosting that wasn't too cheesy, too soft, too runny, too blah blah blah.
    All you need to know is, I haven't been able to look philly in the eye since!

I do hope you find a good recipe for Paddy's day though, it'll be here before we know it!

Spent all afternoon with my mum baking up a storm for tomorrow!

Trifle, gur cake, treacle soda bread, coconut upside-downs, green velvet cupcakes (just, unnatural looking, eat with eyes closed and they are lovely) and just some normal cupcakes with green vanilla frosting!

Fun fun fun :)

I know the mad green isn't to everyone's taste but there's alot of tiddlers around mine and they love it!
    My 8 year old brother made and iced the cupcakes on the left. :P

Went into town today looking for fresh treacle soda bread for tomorrow, not a loaf in the town! Got home and realised I had all the ingredients so I made it myself. First time for making bread, hope it tastes good!

Happy Paddy's Day everyone! :)

One of my family made these yesterday, yum :)

Chocolate:
    5534033229_f19b7bb009_m.jpg

Lemon Cupcakes:

5534033159_9367d012dc_m.jpg

Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream:

5534033107_0895de81c6_m.jpg

• Advertisement

One of my family made these yesterday, yum :)

Chocolate:
    5534033229_f19b7bb009_m.jpg

Lemon Cupcakes:

5534033159_9367d012dc_m.jpg

Guinness Cupcakes with Baileys Buttercream:

5534033107_0895de81c6_m.jpg

WOW! Absolutely stunning! I love the little guiness one!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spadina, your photos make me want to cry. Everything always looks just beyond perfect! I can't wrap my head around the amazing level of detail in everything. Mine look so crap in comparison!

I made green velvet cupcakes too:

dsc00489f.jpg

Faith it wasn't me that made them ones but thanks, I'll pass on the compliment :)

Advertisement