Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working on a Sako: Few Questions

Options
  • 18-02-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all. Doing a few jobs on my stalking rifle at the moment. Firstly, does anyone know what size allan key is required for adjusting the trigger? I've a pile of various ones here, most of which aren't long enough to reach the screw, and want to know in case I need to buy one tomorrow.

Secondly, I'm trying to get the stock off as I want to give it a once over and waterproof (found a couple of rust spots in the metal around the magazine well when I took it out tonight, want to make sure everything's fine) but the screws aren't budging. Anyone any tips for getting tight screws out? The stock is wood and I intend to glass and possibly pillar bed it once the season's over, so going to need that information pretty soon.

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

3mm key for trigger afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

GixxerThou wrote: »
    3mm key for trigger afaik.

Thanks, will have to find one around here or pick one up tomorrow. Any tips on getting the tight screws out anyone?

Are they very tight? If so a gunsmith might be your safest bet!

GixxerThou wrote: »
    Are they very tight? If so a gunsmith might be your safest bet!

Aye, can't shift them with any screwdriver I have here, just not getting enough purchase. And yeah, probably, but I don't want to pay the fecker a few hundred to bed it for me then. :p Sounds like it's a perfectly simple job to do myself with a bit of time and care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Impact driver for the tight screws!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

IWM first make sure you have the correct screw driver one of those funny ended one fit well. Now with some else holding your rifle put the driver in the screw slot and whack the end of the driver with a hammer, it will relieve the pressure off the threads just enough to let you undo the screw with the driver.

Or another way is to tighten the screw just a tad and then try to loosen them.

Now when you get them out toss them away and get allen key head screws.

clivej wrote: »
    IWM first make sure you have the correct screw driver one of those funny ended one fit well. Now with some else holding your rifle put the driver in the screw slot and whack the end of the driver with a hammer, it will relieve the pressure off the threads just enough to let you undo the screw with the driver.

Or another way is to tighten the screw just a tad and then try to loosen them.

Now when you get them out toss them away and get allen key head screws.

Might change the screws when I bed the rifle alright. Any particular specification I'll need? Must check whether there's an impact driver around anywhere tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Might change the screws when I bed the rifle alright. Any particular specification I'll need? Must check whether there's an impact driver around anywhere tomorrow.

ASS01.jpg
    Just buy the Sako Stainless screw replacements

You need a 4mm Allen head to remove.
    A T-Bar should get you teh torque you require.

Lightly spray WD40 round the head forst.
    Leave 15mins or so to soak and tehn they should come out.
    24853.jpg
    They can be bought for a couple of euro and you will keep them for life.

For bedding the most important part is making sure Rifle does not stick to stock.

And that the Epoxy is mixed correctly.

Aye, can't shift them with any screwdriver I have here, just not getting enough purchase. And yeah, probably, but I don't want to pay the fecker a few hundred to bed it for me then. :p Sounds like it's a perfectly simple job to do myself with a bit of time and care.

It's not ad easy as it looks! And you only get one shot at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Must check whether there's an impact driver around anywhere tomorrow.

if your in Dublin i have one that might do you;)

• Advertisement

johnner1 wrote: »
    if your in Dublin i have one that might do you;)

In Blessington but I'm in Trinity for college if it's any good to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

Evening all. Doing a few jobs on my stalking rifle at the moment. Firstly, does anyone know what size allan key is required for adjusting the trigger? I've a pile of various ones here, most of which aren't long enough to reach the screw, and want to know in case I need to buy one tomorrow.

Secondly, I'm trying to get the stock off as I want to give it a once over and waterproof (found a couple of rust spots in the metal around the magazine well when I took it out tonight, want to make sure everything's fine) but the screws aren't budging. Anyone any tips for getting tight screws out? The stock is wood and I intend to glass and possibly pillar bed it once the season's over, so going to need that information pretty soon.

Cheers lads.
    2.5 mm

Advertisement