Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heitons closed, Aldi opening???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That would make sense, although the effect of traffic turning into the Lidl at the Industrial Yarns complex isn't going to be entirely positive either I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Only said that the other day Alun. The Dublin road is a nightmare at the best of times for traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Boghall Road will be a nightmare if there's an Aldi there, my house is across the road from Power City, I thought it was already blocked for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why do people assume that when something new comes that there will be traffic chaos?

There is a Lidl in Greystones and no traffic delays there.

Also Lidl in Deansgrange has not worsened traffic either.

Ikea was supposed to cause chaos at M50 junction but again all is fine.

Boghall Road will be able to handle extra traffic in my opinion.

Would have concerns about impact of Lidl on Dublin Road as that is a traffic black spot anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do people assume that when something new comes that there will be traffic chaos?

There is a Lidl in Greystones and no traffic delays there.

Also Lidl in Deansgrange has not worsened traffic either.

Ikea was supposed to cause chaos at M50 junction but again all is fine.

Boghall Road will be able to handle extra traffic in my opinion.

Would have concerns about impact of Lidl on Dublin Road as that is a traffic black spot anyway
    Agree. Lidl has a sign up now on the Dublin road, opening soon.

• Advertisement

Its not that there will be traffic jams, I don't have a car, its just there'll be crowds of people going past my house now, literally hundreds a day and their cars from 8am-8pm plus the delivery lorries (all night apparently). The guy around here who blocked it last time is supposed to be very good at it though and he has deep pockets so heres hoping.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not that there will be traffic jams, I don't have a car, its just there'll be crowds of people going past my house now, literally hundreds a day and their cars from 8am-8pm plus the delivery lorries (all night apparently). The guy around here who blocked it last time is supposed to be very good at it though and he has deep pockets so heres hoping.

As I said earlier, the amount of business that has moved from the Boghall road this past few years is incredible. If that guy would rather have waste ground and closed units then he is an eejit. Aldi will also provide employment for people in the local vicinity which will be welcomed.

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    As I said earlier, the amount of business that has moved from the Boghall road this past few years is incredible. If that guy would rather have waste ground and closed units then he is an eejit. Aldi will also provide employment for people in the local vicinity which will be welcomed.
    I agree. Dell is no longer there, AO Smith is long gone, and Schering-Plough isn't long for this world either IIRC, so that's a lot less traffic than there was a few years ago. Boghall Road is a main artery road in Bray, not some back street in a housing estate. It's supposed to carry traffic, that's what it's there for.

In any case, I currently drive along there anyway on my way to the Lidl in Greystones, so I'd be driving past his house anyway.

I think the boghall road will be able to handle the traffic alright but the Dublin road and castle street is a different story. Would have thought they would have widened the road there to have an extra lane for turning into lidl but doesn't look like thats going to happen. Either way though Glad to see some new business coming to Bray.

Alun wrote: »
    I agree. Dell is no longer there, AO Smith is long gone, and Schering-Plough isn't long for this world either IIRC, so that's a lot less traffic than there was a few years ago. Boghall Road is a main artery road in Bray, not some back street in a housing estate. It's supposed to carry traffic, that's what it's there for.

In any case, I currently drive along there anyway on my way to the Lidl in Greystones, so I'd be driving past his house anyway.
    Also Woodies is gone and T O'Reilly has just closed. The area needs some good news and Aldi will provide it.

The opening of Aldi in this area would see me walk a lot more for a few daily basics rather than driving along the Boghall road to Tesco's.

Just who or what does this guy want on the waste ground that would be acceptable or would he rather it stays derelict :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Has anyone heard through the grapevine when the Aldi store is currently planned to open?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Supercell wrote: »
    Has anyone heard through the grapevine when the Aldi store is currently planned to open?

Lots of rumours flying around.

I heard the following;

1: they've pulled out of the heitons site
    2: they are sticking with the heitons site
    3: they are deciding whether to possibly go with the boghall road site instead of the heitons site

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The Aldi store in Sandyford is supposed to be opening on the 20th of this month

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

homer911 wrote: »
    The Aldi store in Sandyford is supposed to be opening on the 20th of this month

Yes and it has no Parking unless you use the Luas Park & Ride or Dunnes bit ridiculous tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kizzonian

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I heard that lidi is going into the old furniture store on the Dublin road

Also heard that Tanseys, Allens and Winstons are to close. Hope thats not true!
    Winstons are already closed

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MagiD

I heard that Penneys is supposed to be going in alongside Lidl on the Dublin Road..

Has anyone else heard this??

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MagiD wrote: »
    I heard that Penneys is supposed to be going in alongside Lidl on the Dublin Road..

Has anyone else heard this??

Yes I heard that too from a source that would be well informed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I heard this too but its not on the plans? Also heard Heatons was going in there too. Believe it all when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Yes and it has no Parking unless you use the Luas Park & Ride or Dunnes bit ridiculous tbh :rolleyes:

There is a huge underground carpark to the left of the shop with BIG signs that say Aldi parking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Does anyone know what if any solutions have been proposed re the traffic esp if they is also to be a pennys there?

• Advertisement

Just seen this

RGDATA September Planning Update

Latest News Updated September 16

BRAY, CO WICKLOW: Bray Town Council granted permission in August for an Aldi Store on the Boghall Road Bray. RGDATA objected to this proposal as the site is located 1 km outside of the commercial core of Bray Town. A first party appeal has been lodged with An Bord Pleanala.

Diggers onsite on Boghall Road, looks like they are marking out the ground for foundations.

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Diggers onsite on Boghall Road, looks like they are marking out the ground for foundations.
    Good news! (except for Thargor, of course :))

Meh, it'll take them a year to build it, doubt I'll still be living in this house by then.

Any news on what happened to the objection you posted about on the 18th Dec Antrim Man? They hardly dealt with it that fast did they?

What about parking aswell though? Its a tiny little field.

Meh, it'll take them a year to build it, doubt I'll still be living in this house by then.
    Nowhere near a year ... assuming it fits on the plot, both Lidl and Aldi have standard designs that they can knock up in a few months once the foundations and services are in place.

I am assuming its Aldi, it could be a different retailer. Normally there is an opening soon sign by Aldi and I have not seen one yet.

Definitely an Aldi, I was talking to the engineer today, opening in exactly 6 months.

Definitely an Aldi, I was talking to the engineer today, opening in exactly 6 months.

Thanks for the conformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I was driving past lidl and saw there was two what looked like planning permission posts outside? Anyone know what they say or if they were for planning permission?
    I'm really hoping that Pennys surfaces soon

Advertisement