Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physicist Internships/Careers

• 18-02-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,
    I'm a recent physics graduate looking for any kind of internship/research/work/career in the field of physics.

I'm mainly interested in astrophysics, nuclear and particle physics. I'm also interested in the area of renewable energies and hold a mechanical engineering degree, so there's some overlap between the two subjects.

Just wondering if there's any graduates/professionals out there with any advice for an aspiring physicist....I've tried applying for some positions however experience in the sector is required and the course didn't have any work experience modules.

I was contemplating a Masters/PhD however my academic record borders on a B-average as opposed to an A+ student. That coupled with the cost of fees have dissuaded me from any real progress in applications.

Could anyone advise? Or has anyone any opinions on what steps to take in order to further myself in this field?

Any response would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Well, for a career in physics some sort of graduate degree is a distinct advantage, and if it is research that you are looking at then a PhD is a must. I have no idea what As, Bs and Cs mean in the context of a degree, but generally a 1st or a 2-1 is required for a PhD, while with a 2-2 you can probably find a masters (after which you could go on to do a PhD).

General advice is not to do a PhD somewhere unless you will be funded. It's a total nightmare to try to earn enough working part-time to cover fees and living expenses and would make it very hard to spend enough time on research.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bobafro

Well, for a career in physics some sort of graduate degree is a distinct advantage, and if it is research that you are looking at then a PhD is a must. I have no idea what As, Bs and Cs mean in the context of a degree, but generally a 1st or a 2-1 is required for a PhD, while with a 2-2 you can probably find a masters (after which you could go on to do a PhD).

General advice is not to do a PhD somewhere unless you will be funded. It's a total nightmare to try to earn enough working part-time to cover fees and living expenses and would make it very hard to spend enough time on research.

This is the truest thing that can ever be said about a PHd.... hardest thing to cope with.

On the career front, i do know Intel are currently hiring graduates willing to spend a year training in either the US or Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SaKi-The-Killer

Cheers for the advice. Suppose I'll have to trawl the College websites for their PhDs and see which is both interesting and fully funded.
    Apparently Open days are this month which is handy enough I suppose.

Anyone got any advice/experience in space sciences?

Was contemplating some Astrophysics and/or research in said area...?

Cheers for the advice. Suppose I'll have to trawl the College websites for their PhDs and see which is both interesting and fully funded.

The PhD doesn't have to be funded, as there are personal scholarships like those from IRCSET. I simply meant that if you fail to find either a funded PhD or find some form of scholarship, then you should not do it. Usually a potential supervisor will offer to assist you in looking for such a scholarship if they are interested in having you but do not have funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Hi
    There are plenty of well funded PhD opportunities available with EU funding. I think you can find info on the following websites:

http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/projects_en.html

http://cordis.europa.eu/research_openings/home_en.html

http://ec.europa.eu/euraxess/index.cfm/jobs/index

http://www.eurosciencejobs.com/job_search.php

I use Nature Jobs. They seem to have the best selection of jobs for industry and academia
    http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/searches/new?search[is_advanced]=1

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/searches/21405806-all-astrophysics-jobs#search-results

Im a chemist, but I have friends who studied astrophysics at PhD and Post Doc level. Its quite limiting as far as i know, because you limit yourself to Research groups in Havard, Uni Exeter, Holland, Grenoble and Geneva. If you are willing to leave Ireland you will be ok...I think if you think about doing a PhD...its worth your while to think about the future and if you would do a Post Doc etc abroad.

• Advertisement

Im a chemist, but I have friends who studied astrophysics at PhD and Post Doc level. Its quite limiting as far as i know, because you limit yourself to Research groups in Havard, Uni Exeter, Holland, Grenoble and Geneva. If you are willing to leave Ireland you will be ok...I think if you think about doing a PhD...its worth your while to think about the future and if you would do a Post Doc etc abroad.

What? There are literally hundreds of top notch astrophysics groups (it's a broad area). Even locally, UCD isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

What? There are literally hundreds of top notch astrophysics groups (it's a broad area). Even locally, UCD isn't bad at all.

Yes my friend did an astrophysics PhD at UCD. The friend didnt like the group at UCD...but that was my friend...i dont know why they didnt like studying there. However now after a few post docs, the friend has found it limiting area and doesnt know what to do. Its so true for Science subjects your better off having an open mind about traveling. Ive never met a Scientist who stayed in Ireland for their entire education!!

I am just giving the advise to OP and gave them some great links to some fantastic job and PhD opportunities.

I am just giving the advise to OP and gave them some great links to some fantastic job and PhD opportunities.

I wasn't criticising the links, or the advice about being prepared to travel, just the estimate about the number of groups. Also the sample you gave was weirdly biased, so I suspect these are the groups that work on more or less exactly the field your friend worked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ScienceChickxx

A masters/phd is a must if want a degree in research. Renewable energy is probably a good bet at the moment; a lot of funding is being invested in this area. A lot of nanotechnology groups are now focused on solar cell research. I would look up research groups/ lecturers/institues in these areas and send an email with a CV. A lot of supervisors dont advertise positions if they are trying to stay clear of taking on people from outside the EU(the fees are more). If they have funding and want to take on phd students now is a goodtime to apply especially with lower grades as it is inbetween academic years for undergrads.
    Best of luck!

PS: As far as I know you need a masters or Phd for those Intel jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bobafro

Just got myself an interview for an internship as ESA, absolutely over the moon

• Advertisement
Advertisement