Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABC note sheets for Irish songs

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I used to play the accordian years and years ago. I've forgot a lot of it but i'm goign to take it up again.

I was looking for some sheets (hopefully in ABC notation). Anyone know where I can find any of these online or any good books to reccommend?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

There's 2 types of ABC notation, I presume you're talking about the standard method used to teach in Ireland, which you most likely won't find on the Internet as it's really just a shorthand used by teachers. You'll find plenty of "Internet ABC" which was a text based method used to share music over the net before the WWW came along. This method is tricky to read so you're better off just reading normal sheet music. You'll find plenty at www.thesession.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

What tunes are you looking for?

I've a couple of hundred tunes done out in ABc notation on excel spread sheets. All trad tunes.

It's an easier version of ABc's than the mathematical formula type that you will get on thesession.org (great site). I have developed it over the last couple of years and have used it on a group of musicans with success.

Let me know what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

trad wrote: »
    What tunes are you looking for?

I've a couple of hundred tunes done out in ABc notation on excel spread sheets. All trad tunes.

It's an easier version of ABc's than the mathematical formula type that you will get on thesession.org (great site). I have developed it over the last couple of years and have used it on a group of musicans with success.

Let me know what you are looking for.

I know I didnt start the thread, but you wouldnt have Lough Erin Shore would you? Thanks

Is it a waltz also known as the Shamrock Shore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

trad wrote: »
    Is it a waltz also known as the Shamrock Shore?

It is indeed :)

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    It is indeed :)

If you PM me with an email address I'll send it on to you. Been covered by no less than Paul Brady and Horslips.

Lyrics that go with it are Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore

Advertisement