Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumble dryer broken 1 month out of warranty

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, looking for some advice, I bought a tumble dryer from powercity in Jan 2010, it's not spinning now so it is probably the belt that is broken but as I have never fixed anything in my life I wouldn't know if it was that or anything else to be honest.

Anyway I use the dryer max once a week so to have it break now not even a full 13 months after purchase is annoying to say the least, it came with the 12 month warranty 8 years parts guarantee but as we all know the parts guarantee is a joke as it's the labour that really costs money.

I am confident that if it was examined that wear and tear or overuse should not have been a contributing factor in it breaking as I really don't use it very often.

Anyone any experience with power city in a situation like this? Or would anyone know if I could use the EU 2 year electrical item guarantee to my advantage here?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

No exp with Power City re repairs, but would contact them first and if no satisfaction would contact the manufacturers and if necessary point out the 2yr e.u guarantee but I've found that most reputable companies will come to some arrangment if unit was only slightly out of guarantee.

Had a bit of a fight with argos over a phillips shaver recently saying it was not their problem but after going back to philips they had to back down and this was when the carton was clearly marked, 2yr guarantee.

Argos sent it for repair, but it couldn't be repaired, so finally got a replacement from Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Thanks, i'll send them an email now and hopefully they'll get back to me soon about it and at least then ill know where I stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You also have statutory rights which supercede any shop or manufacturer warrenty or guarantee. the sale of goods act states goods must be fit for their purpose and last a reasonable amount of time given the price paid and use they get etc, generally washing machines dryers etc are reasonably expected to last 5-8 years with the use you describe.

you are reasonably entitled to a repair, replacement or refund as long as the damage was not through misuse customer damage etc. read these guides for more information.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/intro.html

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/guarantees.html

deal only with the shop/retailer as they are obliged to deal with you and to provide redress in the form of repair replace or refund. if the shops sends a repair agent out to fix it there should be no charges including no "call out" charge to be paid by the customer.

it is the shops responsibility to have your product repaired or replaced at their expense unless it is found to be customer damage in which case the shop can charge you for any work carried out.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You also have statutory rights which supercede any shop or manufacturer warrenty or guarantee. the sale of goods act states goods must be fit for their purpose and last a reasonable amount of time given the price paid and use they get etc, generally washing machines dryers etc are reasonably expected to last 5-8 years with the use you describe.

you are reasonably entitled to a repair, replacement or refund as long as the damage was not through misuse customer damage etc. read these guides for more information.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/intro.html

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/guarantees.html

deal only with the shop/retailer as they are obliged to deal with you and to provide redress in the form of repair replace or refund. if the shops sends a repair agent out to fix it there should be no charges including no "call out" charge to be paid by the customer.

it is the shops responsibility to have your product repaired or replaced at their expense unless it is found to be customer damage in which case the shop can charge you for any work carried out.

Thanks for this, I emailed them earlier and quoted that act and said how disappointed I was that with such minimal use the dryer has stopped working and as I was fully confident that the dryer hadn't been used often enough to consider it regular wear and tear so I would not be paying to have it repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Regular wear and tear is taken into account when deciding whether an item is faulty through poor manufacture design or workmanship etc.

Tthe shop cant say that it has been used a few times a week and that is why it has broken as this would mean it was not fit for its stated purpose:)

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Regular wear and tear is taken into account when deciding whether an item is faulty through poor manufacture design or workmanship etc.

Tthe shop cant say that it has been used a few times a week and that is why it has broken as this would mean it was not fit for its stated purpose:)

They emailed me back today to ask me to forward my address and transaction number (there was a bit of confusion because when they delivered the dryer they actually gave me the wrong one but I made them aware of this at the time so that my guarantee would still stand)

Anyway they said to forward that to them and they would see whether they could stretch the guarantee to cover repair!

They got back to me today and said they would repair it under warranty :)

Advertisement