Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/quickest way to obtain permanent residency with a partner from the US?

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

My question is simple, but I'm guessing the answer wont be so simple.

I'm an Irish citizen and I would like permanent residency in the US. This year, I will be 24 years old and my partner will be 21. How should I go about becoming a "lawful permanent resident"?

I have been looking at the K-1 visa (the fiancé visa) as a means of doing this, but want to hear if there is a better way, or even hear from anyone who has used this visa as a means to gain a working/living visa over there (or knows someone who has).

I have had 2 trips to the US in the last 2 years. First time, I spent 2 months over there, and about 3 weeks of that with her, and the second time I spent 90 days over there and spent the entire time living with her and her family. She came here for 3 days before I left the 2nd time, and we then took a 2 week cruise together to the states where I then started my 90 day visa waiver programme.

I give this info because I know I'll have to "prove" our relationship to the authorities when applying.

Other possibly important info is that she lives with her parents, who would be fully supportive and accepting of me living with them and engaging/marrying their daughter. They live in a huge house and make an income a decent amount over "average wage". So financially, they are well able to support me until I can finally use the visa I get to apply for a job.

Having just gotten home from the last trip, I have no job here in ireland and am not in college. I am desperate to start a new life over there with her ASAP.

I have no criminal records, diseases, or anything else that would make the US want to reject me.

Is there anyone out there who can give even the slightest advice or share their similar experiences?

All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There is no partnership visa, and unless you are highly skilled, a work visa isn't going to happen. If you are willing to get married, that is the easiest way to get over- either with the K1 visa you mentioned, and get married after the visa is granted, or get married now (on the visa waiver program, or in Ireland), and then apply for the CR-1 spousal visa. Personally, I recommend the spousal visa as it is cheaper and leads to an immediate greencard upon arrival, ie you can work, get a driver's license etc. The downside is you need to get married first, so that will add some time to your planning. Both visas take 8-12 months from start to finish, but you can visit eachother during the process.

Advertisement