Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steps to Get Car on the Road?

• 18-02-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Here's the story, My sister has changed her car and is giving me her old one. Could someone outline the steps I need to go through to get on the road as soon as possible? Am I right in saying I have to change who the vechicle is registered to before I can tax it or insure it and I need to insure it before I can tax it?

Am I going to have to wait around for the new vechicle registration certificate to come back in the post, get it insured, then wait for the insurance details to come back in the post and then get it taxed? Starting a new job Monday week so was hoping to get on the road by next Friday... The only thing I've done so far is get an insurance quote. How fast can I get all this done (bearing in mind it's the weekend so it will be from Monday)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damoh111089

shouldnt have to wait till the log book comes back in your name,i buy 2/3 cars a year sign the log book pop it in the post asap get the seller to hand wrie a not that car xxx was sold to me on xx/xx/2011 at 5.00pm

if you do get stopped you have that piece of paper with you and then have 10day to produce you lisence and insurance cert and possibley log book to a station of your choice,log book usually back with 3working days

if you can give your sister money to tax it may make life easier im not up on that bit as any car iv had usually has a bit of tax on it,as for the insurance fill the log book send it away ring/pop into your insurance company away you go

hope thats of some help to you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

shouldnt have to wait till the log book comes back in your name,i buy 2/3 cars a year sign the log book pop it in the post asap get the seller to hand wrie a not that car xxx was sold to me on xx/xx/2011 at 5.00pm

if you do get stopped you have that piece of paper with you and then have 10day to produce you lisence and insurance cert and possibley log book to a station of your choice,log book usually back with 3working days

if you can give your sister money to tax it may make life easier im not up on that bit as any car iv had usually has a bit of tax on it,as for the insurance fill the log book send it away ring/pop into your insurance company away you go

hope thats of some help to you:)

That would be easier except I don't think she'll be able to renew the tax as her insurance on the car is up and she has changed her insurance to her new car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bardcel

I'm not interested in your BS. Wake up and smell the coffee. Nation of sheep. Playing the victim. We are being screwed. Hello people. Is their anyone out there?

should be able to tax it no bother still as far as im aware,maybe someone knows for definate but suould be able to it online/in the local tax office may be worth a ring to your local tax office

bardcel wrote: »
    I'm not interested in your BS. Wake up and smell the coffee. Nation of sheep. Playing the victim. We are being screwed. Hello people. Is their anyone out there?

wtf has thats got to do with anyting???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

seadnamac wrote: »
    That would be easier except I don't think she'll be able to renew the tax as her insurance on the car is up and she has changed her insurance to her new car?

It doesn't really matter.
    Ask her to tax it while it's still registered in her name. She can provide her insurance policy number - no one is going to check it anyway.
    Then you can buy your policy, sign the change of ownership form on the last page of car registration certificate, post it, and start driving straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

CiniO wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter.
    Ask her to tax it while it's still registered in her name. She can provide her insurance policy number - no one is going to check it anyway.
    Then you can buy your policy, sign the change of ownership form on the last page of car registration certificate, post it, and start driving straight away.

Cool, thanks. I suppose if anyone ever did check it it wouldn't be in her name anymore at that stage anyway, it would be in mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

seadnamac wrote: »

If the tax isn't out by too long (i.e the renewal PIN is still valid) tell her to tax it online, you can put 123456789ABC as your insurance policy number and it won't matter, the website isn't linked to any insurance database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You don't need to wait for the VLC to get insurance. You just need details such as reg number, VIN, make, model & engine size.
    Once you've bought insurance you can ask your insurer/broker for your policy number and expiry date without waiting for the certificate to arrive. You can then use this for the motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

bardcel wrote: »

^^^^

This should get the award for "furthest away from the topic "post of the year award :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement