Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Cot Beds?

• 19-02-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

My baby moves all over the place in his sleep. As a result he frequently wakes himself up by banging off the sides of the cot. He is almost walking and very mobile crawling.
    I'm looking for a cot the size of a single bed (width wise anyway) with enough space to move in but he can't get out of.

Anyone know if these exist?
    It has also been suggested that we put a mattress on the floor and a safety gate on the bedroom door, but I dont fancy this for many reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

You could get a carpenter to make one for you? Just get him to use the proportions from your existing cot for safety. Or get cot sides fir the bed maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My child has a 0-5 year cot bed. Plenty of room in it!

mothercare-ashton-cot-bed-140-x-70-cm-mattress.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Standard cot beds/junior beds are about 69cm (27ins) width, an ordinary cot is usually about 60cms width (23 1/2 ins). If he's bumping himself hard enough to wake up, likelyhood is 9cms won't be enough as a standard single bed is 3ft/36ins width.

Have you tried a bumper around the cot? or maybe a few baby pillows around it would be enough padding so he doesn't hurt himself? You could put them in behind a bumper pushed down beside the mattress to secure them, or sew some straps on so you can tie them on..

Short of that, getting a cotbed wide enough you'd have to have one specifically made. On single beds you can get an attachment to stop them falling out when they're making the transition, but if he's only crawling it wouldn't be suitable..

Hope it helps...:)

Found this site which give the british standard sizes for all mattresses..
    http://babymattressesonline.co.uk/advice-info-faq/mattress-size-reference-library.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Thanks for the replies.
    His current cot looks the same size as the one in Wolfpawnats picture and we have barriers on it.
    He often ends up sideways in the cot though and pulls the barriers down (they are about the thickness of a duvet and are tied to the rails of the cot).

Hopefully its just a phase that will pass (but his older brother and Dad:o are known for being restless sleepers and hogging the bed lol!)
    In the meantime I'll have a look at that link cbyrd and see if there is a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 declanon

I have nothing to add on the cot size - sorry. But depending on the age of your baby. You might want consider removing the crib bumper pads.

"Many health agencies and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) awareness groups are now recommending that parents skip the crib bumper, saying the need for crib bumpers has passed and that using these products may actually put children at greater risk for suffocation or SIDS."

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsandsafety/a/bumpersafety.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement