Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Graffiti By Knocknacara Dunnes

Options
  • 19-02-2011 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Has anyone seen the racist graffiti on the wooden boards near the Dunnes/New Look/B&Q out in Knocnacara?

Monkeys, roma gypsies, and I think a few other bases have been covered by it.

How long has this been around? I presume the GCC know about it, why has it not been removed? It's disgraceful and pretty embarrassing if any tourists saw it.

If anyone has any spray cans and fancies doing a bit of alteration to it, PM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I saw it there last summer, and it was reported in the papers at the time, but I haven't been out there since so I don't know if it has been there all that time or someone has repeated it. If it has been there for more than six months without being cleaned up that is totally disgraceful.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/14496-residents-knocknacarra-distressed-over-racist-graffiti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The last time I saw it someone had altered it and changed it into 'welcome' etc, and corrected the spelling. This was nearer Monkey Biz end than Dunnes, I think someone posted pics here? No? Is this another patch of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

I've only seen it while driving past at night so maybe someone beat me to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I saw it there last summer, and it was reported in the papers at the time, but I haven't been out there since so I don't know if it has been there all that time or someone has repeated it. If it has been there for more than six months without being cleaned up that is totally disgraceful.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/14496-residents-knocknacarra-distressed-over-racist-graffiti

That article made me laugh.

A couple of councillors went out to have look at the graffiti and "vowed to try and have it removed."

That was six months ago.

So what the hell have they been doing in the meantime ? Scratching their backsides?

You can be sure if the graffiti was in Taylor's Hill or Kingston it would have been removed long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

They probably reckon that because it's on wooden boarding that it's not worth cleaning up. 'Course these days, that sort of "temporary" structure is permanent.

I had no idea it's been there that long. I first noticed it about a week ago, I don't normally be up that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Lapin wrote: »
    You can be sure if the graffiti was in Taylor's Hill or Kingston it would have been removed long ago.

And you can be sure if it was near a TD's office, or wa pertaining to the government it would have been removed long ago.

TBH you would hope for a bit of community action anyway. This isn't just some unsightly scribbling, it's bigoted, offensive and embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

This is new graffiti, it has just appeared since last weekend, it's on the black boards opposite Bridgestone Tyre Centre and further up towards B&Q.

The old stuff was never removed by the Council, and has been there nearly a year.

What the Council did was rely on the heavy winds to blow half of them boards down, then obviously problem solved :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Genuine Question: Why would it be the council's job to sort it out? is it on council/publically owned property?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

its been there for about 5 months. the council cant do anything about i think because its on private property and they havent bothered their arses getting permission off the land owner to remove it.

This blog has pics of the said graffiti....

http://declan-kelly.blogspot.com/2010/11/graffiti-forum.html

Yeah, so it sounds like there are at least two different sets. One has been there months at least, and has been 'creatively altered'. Seems like there is a new batch with no amendments made too. Haven't been up there.

Looks like some of the graffiti shown on that blog is on Council signs though, and some on private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mactard wrote: »
    Genuine Question: Why would it be the council's job to sort it out? is it on council/publically owned property?

Because in civilised countries, local authorities know that a proactive approach, including working in partnership with property owners to remove graffiti as quickly as possible cuts down the overall amount of it that happens. Basically, people don't try if they know their work will soon be obliterated.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

No offense to anybody concerned but if it offends you I'm sure nobody would mind if you removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Council should remove it & send the landowner the bill where appropriate. Even better hide a couple of CCTV cameras & catch the culprits.

Has anyone let the landowner themselves know (for the stuff that is on the private billboard)? Often they may not have a clue if they are not actively working on the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

... and pretty embarrassing if any tourists saw it.

Which is why I'm gonna make a thread about it on the world wide web, hurr durrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rareroastbeef

I haven't seen it and I hope I'm not being facitious here as I'm a newcomer and all, but has the person who is so upset about it considered getting an old pot of paint and giving it a lick. I'm sure someone might have a pot of paint left over in their sheds. It would sort out the problem without having to rely on the council.

Sometimes when everyone is waiting on someone else to fix a problem, then the problem never gets sorted.

Advertisement