Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Molex coming from PSU

Options
  • 19-02-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering, basically the 6850 v2 requires 2 6 spin adapters, and ive just looked inside my PC, ive got 1 6 pin, but no molex, just 3 adapters not sure what they are(on them is printed P followed by a number), i think you plug them into a hard drive?, is it possible to get an adapter for 1 of those to 6 pin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

Well i found this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-to-Molex-Power-Adapter/dp/B000ZMCYQG

Has anybody used these before?, id have to sata-molex-6pin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I used to use them the other way around all the time molex to sata there is no reason it would not work as long as you have enough power in your psu

Heres an update guys,

I just ordered http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310256045650

Should this work, the sata power cable is coming out of my PSU so its female i think, also will this molex work with the molex-> 6 pin which comes with graphics cards

bump

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you making a triple connection, SATA to Molex to 6-pin?

There's a thread on the nvidia forums about this. It doesn't seem to come highly recommended.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for the reply, basically; the 6850 v1 runs on 1 6 pin, the v2 is exactly the same but it has 2 6 pin's, according to the manual it can run on 1 6 pin, so the sata>molex>6 pin would be just to give it some extra juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What kind of PSU is this? I don't think I've ever seen one without molex. The adapters for molex->PCI-E usually use two molex connectors for each PCI-E connector. So you may need two SATA adapters.
    You might want to look into your PSU specs to be sure that the hard drive rail isn't going to be overloaded.

Hi thanks for the reply, i asked solitare and gave him the model etc, and he said it will run the 6850, it came in a hp pavillion elite, its a 460 watt

Advertisement