Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry in UCD or DCU?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi, long story short basically I dropped out of DIT studying media due to a "personal crisis". Now having nearly overcome or rather started learning to live with said issue I want to get my head together.
    I feel the best way to do this is to pay the late fee and get my CAO in by 1st May or whatever. I dont think another year of weed, boredom and unemployment is going to be good for me or leave me better off mentally or financially.

So as someone who has a passion for chemistry i have made the enlightened decision to choose between Chemistry in UCD and Chemical and Pharmeceutical sciences in DCU.

I would be a great help to me, and bear no small karmic reward either i'll wager, if students from each course could give me a description of -
    1: Their college (facilities, atmosphere and overall college experience)
    2: Their course (structure, subject choices, topics studied, quality of degree in terms of knowledge)
    3. Topics studied in first year (this being the make or break it year for me really. Mad professor or strung out grotty flat dweller)

I realise students are busy people so just give me as much information as you can. Try to sell me your college the winner of which will fill my number 1 CAO choice.
    I will be posting a duplicate of the thread in the DCU forum so I can compare opinions.
    I look forward to some nice replies. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

Well I'm not actually doing Science in UCD, I'm doing a medical related course, but I do have some lectures in the science block... and it is one of the most depressing, and old buildings... I know that's probably irrelevant, but that's where you'll be spending you're degree in! The labs are horrible... ugh :-/ Good luck though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Well I'm not actually doing Science in UCD, I'm doing a medical related course, but I do have some lectures in the science block... and it is one of the most depressing, and old buildings... I know that's probably irrelevant, but that's where you'll be spending you're degree in! The labs are horrible... ugh :-/ Good luck though... :)

Yeah but the new chemistry building will be complete by the time the OP starts next September meaning the labs will be all shiny and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Science block redevelopment is happening at the moment, so it's going to be a lot nicer soon.

And Chemistry has two obscenely nice buildings, one of them already completely finished, and one that'll be finished by September.

The hub, while hideous, is a decent place to hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Download the science programme booklet for a list of all the modules available in each year for each subject (you will need to do more than chemistry in 1st year). As mentioned, the chemistry buildings in UCD are being done up, though the teaching labs will still be in the old part of the building next year at least. As someone who went into chemistry in UCD knowing nothing about the subject years ago, I can honestly say I really enjoyed the degree :D (I chose it as my single honours subject in the end.)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I'm doing Neuroscience so I'm not completely what you're looking for and I don't wanna go writing out answers to your questions for no reason but if you PM me then I'd be more than willing to stick in my 2cents! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement