Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat won't keep collar on

• 19-02-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've 2 9 month old cats. One of them as no problem wearing his collar it's been on him a few months now. But the other fella lost the 1st one after an hour so I got him a new one only to find him cowering down the end of the garden. When I picked him up to examine him he had obviously tried to take the collar off and it had got wedged in his mouth:( The poor thing was in shock but was fine an hour or 2 later. When I mentioned it to the vet she said I obviously didnt have it on tight enough. So again I bought a new collar and put it on quite tight obviously enough so he could still breathe!! Anyway tonight I found him in the garden again with the collar stuck in his gob I had to cut it off again:eek:

Anyway should I just give up? He's obviously not one for collars:P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think you should give up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I think you should give up :D

Think your right:D:D

Feeling stressed is exactly how I fee l:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Best off getting him microchipped instead.

Shanao wrote: »
    Best off getting him microchipped instead.

Never thought of that, that would be a very good idea

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah, the poor thing. Was it a flea collar? If so maybe he was not able to tolerate it?

Had a cat years ago who for some reason kept managing to get his hinde paw stuck in his collar (he wasn't the brightest, but we loved him). Thr collar was on tight enough; any tighter and it would have choked him. We never caught him in the act so never found out how he managed to do this but would often come home, or downstairs in the morning to find him wailing like an orphan with one leg stuck up in the air.

We just had to leave him collarless in the end.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah, the poor thing. Was it a flea collar? If so maybe he was not able to tolerate it?

Had a cat years ago who for some reason kept managing to get his hinde paw stuck in his collar (he wasn't the brightest, but we loved him). Thr collar was on tight enough; any tighter and it would have choked him. We never caught him in the act so never found out how he managed to do this but would often come home, or downstairs in the morning to find him wailing like an orphan with one leg stuck up in the air.

We just had to leave him collarless in the end.

No the 1st one was one of those quick release ones and the other 2 were just normal collars
    He had the last one on a few weeks so I thought everything was ok until tonight when there was no sign of him. He eventually came crawling into the garden with his tongue hanging out and I knew immediately it was the collar again I felt terrible for putting him through that but he's right as rain now curled up beside me:)
    Think I'll just get him microchipped instead actually get the 2 of them done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Poor little fella. Don't rule out foul play either.

Think micro chipping is the way to go. Safer all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ziggy23 wrote: »
    No the 1st one was one of those quick release ones and the other 2 were just normal collars
    He had the last one on a few weeks so I thought everything was ok until tonight when there was no sign of him. He eventually came crawling into the garden with his tongue hanging out and I knew immediately it was the collar again I felt terrible for putting him through that but he's right as rain now curled up beside me:)
    Think I'll just get him microchipped instead actually get the 2 of them done

- please only use collars with the safety clasps. The others are so dangerous, especially the elasticated types.
    The correct way to fit them is to be able to slip 2 fingers between the collar and cat.
    Having said that, one of my cats also takes his off - had to give up with him, he must've learned to pop the clasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

OP could have written your post myself word for word!

I too have one cat that has no problem keeping his collar on while the other one has her's off within five minutes! So far we have just about given up.

We are considering micro-chipping them both when we can afford it but as my cats are indoor, outdoor cats I sort of prefer them to have a collar on so its clearly shown someone owns them. (can't really explain why just find it more reassuring for some reason.)

OP could have written your post myself word for word!

I too have one cat that has no problem keeping his collar on while the other one has her's off within five minutes! So far we have just about given up.

We are considering micro-chipping them both when we can afford it but as my cats are indoor, outdoor cats I sort of prefer them to have a collar on so its clearly shown someone owns them. (can't really explain why just find it more reassuring for some reason.)

I'm the exact same regarding wanting to have collars on them. There's a lot of people out there that hate cats and I'd just be afraid someone would think they were stray and call the pound or worse poison them or something. Yea the microchipping is so expensive:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement