Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Rights or Wrongs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

olaola wrote: »
    On the other end of the scale, what about owners that literally kill their pets with love - mainly overfeeding? Animals with diabetes, ruptured joints, damaged spines and so fat they can't walk!? They obviously love their animals, but are shortening their lives significantly and causing them pain and discomfort.

The changes to the UK Animal Welfare law addressed these issues & there have been a few prosecutions. I think one involved a very overweight cat. The owner's Vet told them that it was cruel but they refused to act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

homerhop wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line?
    There are people out there who believe it is wrong to even have a pet, that all animals should be free to roam. So if they feel strong enough about it does it entitle them to break into your house and remove your dogs?

Couldn't agree more, were do you draw the line? I can understand trying to educate people and legislate but forcing your way outside the law is not the way.

What would happen if the other side felt strongly enough about hunting, or even how they look after their own animals ect and start taking action into their own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I seriousy wouldn't want to get myself into a situation where I would be arrested as well that won't help with travelling and volunteering abroad or any kind of life abroad!

Definitely would intervene somehow if I saw an animal being abused.

1) Either put myself into the scenario if it's only one or two adults/group of wee kids....my temper would let fly :eek:

Or

2) If there were too many call the guards and somehow try and distract them from afar(as if they could kick the crap out of an animal then they would most definitely do it to me too)

Can see why some people just lose the rag and go extreme though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Discodog wrote: »
    I guess that originally I was amazed that direct action had stopped Japan. But it made me wonder under what circumstances any of us would take direct action to save an abused animal. The point has already been raised that posters here have hinted at liberating an abused dog, by leaving a gate open, which is theft.

Having spent time in the UK I am still no nearer to discovering what makes Ireland's attitude to animal welfare so different. Maybe we don't have animal welfare law because we have never taken direct action like Humanity Dick did all those years ago in Connemara ?.

As I think you know, some of us do and have done ... Our collie is such a dog; abused and left tied up by our landlord; and they saw no wrong in that. Dead Daddy's dog and none of the large family would take her on. We had to tread very carefully indeed to get her out of there and if his wife had not been scared of her....

A few days ago, I stopped the car in heavy rush hour traffic as a wee Jack was following his nose into the road,, just a pup.. I am still wishing I had tried to scoop him. ( there were circumstances that meant I could not) He had a collar etc; people who let their wee dogs loose like that...As it was I held the traffic up a good while.

NB I mean to take the wee dog to the Gardai .. have done this before with strays.

There is often a high price to pay for intervention; we lost our last house because of it.

Never stops us from feeding any stray cat we come across though. We carry food for them in the car and there are so many around. Thin and hungry.

Always ways to help..

Advertisement