Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self-portrait for C&C...

• 19-02-2011 2:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all, seeing as I want to go semi-pro with portrait photography, I'd very much appreciate some C&C on this SP.

83C630CE81C447F7A4111CAD019FBD05-0000327350-0002174447-00799L-63BEFFF48E9841C19888987D30CA612A.jpg

A few of my own thoughts are:

- Didn't mean to crop so much off the top of my head
    - Lighting ratio could be higher maybe?
    - Stray hairs sticking out around my ears! :)
    - Could the processing be better? I suppose that would be a yes :D

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It's a beautiful pic, I love the toning and its perfectly sharp, I actually would have nothing bad to say about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Id lose the sepia toning but thats just my taste..

Other than that its a fine oul portrait. Clean, simple and compositionally good. Your choice of cropping its grand. Looks well.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd lose the sepia too and yeah I don't mind cutting off parts of heads as a rule but urs is as u said too much, the pose and framing are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I LOVE YOU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Tallon wrote: »
    I LOVE YOU

Quoted for when you sober up & attempt to edit your post :D
    Regarding the pic, AR's comments nailed it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks guys/gals. I'm still experimenting with toning, not sure what works best. Yes, maybe none at all as ye said. Thanks. Tallon, not in public please! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Quoted for when you sober up & attempt to edit your post :D
    Regarding the pic, AR's comments nailed it for me
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Technically it's great. You could use not to look so stern.

I think I'd probably make it a little darker overall. The darkest areas don't approach black as much as I like to see, and the highlights in your face & hair border on washing out. Bringing the overall brightness level down would "fix" both of those. (in quotes because it's not really "broken".. I just really hate washed out highlights and a lack of true black.)

If your hair sticks out by your ears.. then it's entirely proper to have it in your portrait. :) (Mine does.. but my hair is much longer, so it's a bit more pronounced.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

like it loads.
    lighting good.
    like the sepia.
    crop not overly bothering me as is tbh.

Hmnnnn...... Only thing i'm thinking is that it is slightly (only very slightly) soft imho - however admittedly this will be a matter of taste and depends on what you want to convey in your image. While the *rule* governing females would generally dictate to keep them soft - only sharpening the eyes, the male of the species can take a whole load of sharpening - it gives a more rugged heroic type of look. It can give the image a bit of attitude or a cool disposition. Again, it depends on what you are trying to achieve and as is, I think you've done a fantastic job - be proud of it. So the sharpening (very little) is something to try and if you like then grand otherwise CTRL-Z straight away.

:)

Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Too earnest.

humberklog wrote: »
    Too earnest.
    Yeah, I agree, didn't mean to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's a beautiful pic, I love the toning and its perfectly sharp, I actually would have nothing bad to say about it!

Agree. I love the sepia. I don't get why some hate it so much, it's a nice alternative to B&W, giving a more timeless feel IMO. Good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Agree. I love the sepia. I don't get why some hate it so much, it's a nice alternative to B&W, giving a more timeless feel IMO. Good job.

Yeah I usually dislike it tbh but the toning here is lovely.

Thanks guys. I like a bit of toning because it warms the image. In Lightroom, I toned the shadows only as suggested by Jaybeeveedub. I think it works better that toning highlights and shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm genuinely curious how you decide to go semi pro. Does it mean half the quality, half the price, half the number of shots, half the time spent doing it, half the confidence or shoots being half as long. This isn't aimed at the OP. I'm genuinely curious how to market yourself as a semi-pro. (Not trying to derail thread/trolling/cause arguments here).

When it comes to paid work I say I'm professional otherwise work doesn't come my way when I want it and as a consumer I'd rather pay a pro rather than a semi pro. Apologies as this is way off topic. Maybe move it to another thread. Like I said, genuinely curious.

pete4130 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious how you decide to go semi pro. Does it mean half the quality, half the price, half the number of shots, half the time spent doing it, half the confidence or shoots being half as long. This isn't aimed at the OP. I'm genuinely curious how to market yourself as a semi-pro. (Not trying to derail thread/trolling/cause arguments here).

When it comes to paid work I say I'm professional otherwise work doesn't come my way when I want it and as a consumer I'd rather pay a pro rather than a semi pro. Apologies as this is way off topic. Maybe move it to another thread. Like I said, genuinely curious.
    I mean semi-pro in the sense of not being a full-time photographer i.e it's not my main source of income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Thanks, I re-read my post and it read as being a real d1ckhead. Wasn't my intention. It's late here where I am and I'm real tired.

Advertisement