Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vote for Fine Gael is a vote for stag hunting.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The stags aren't killed either.

Oh so the animal is tortured purely for pleasure then. Not out of any population control or food considerations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Does stag hunting even provide any employment, even for 1 hour in the year, I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its very unlikely.

The torture, mutilation & killing of deer is probably very labour intensive.

however I doubt its anyones full time job.

More like a hobby for those mostly in some sort of other employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

paul71 wrote: »
    Stag hunting, legalisation of Canabis, Cruelty to animals, Single Sex Marriage, Abortion and the colour of Endas tie are not election issues IMO. They are things that I will express an opinion on to a candidate but I will not waste my vote on them.

Apart from the colour of Enda's tie, they should be election issues, and they are for me.

I don't accept the idea that if I agree with a party on economic policy, I have to accept whatever social policy package they want to bundle with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For many people who hunt, Fish and Shoot, the notion that the ban on the activities of "The Ward" was the thin edge of the wedge, and other areas would be targeted as next. (it was only a matter of time)

Mr. Gormless always said it wasnt true, yet if you read the manifesto page 32 you will see where hunting with dogs is next. Bernie wright from ICABS constantly is harping on about "Fieldsports"

I am to some a heathen because i will walk fields for hours with a dog and gun with the view of bagging a pheasant or a duck for the pot, yet some people dont see anything wrong with whole scale slaughter of chickens at an industrial scale for you to have your 6 fillets for a fiver.

I'm not into stag hunting, coursing or fox hunting (horses are a nuisance, that scare my dog:D, though they taste nice (France 2008 if cooked properly) in fact I can control more foxes with a rifle in 1 night, than the local hunt will get in 2 years. but the fact of the matter is a line has to be drawn.

I will vote FG, no one else I was going to vote FG and Lab,
    People say that this isnt an election issue, I agree there are more important things to worry about, but get a look at the "back pedaling from Labour" over here

http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx

Second item down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

The Hunt has over 200 members, employs 4 full time staff and directly contributed €1.4 million to the local economy.THERES YOUR FACTS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Apart from the colour of Enda's tie, they should be election issues, and they are for me.

I don't accept the idea that if I agree with a party on economic policy, I have to accept whatever social policy package they want to bundle with it.

So you are saying that if FG conformed with your opinion on every one of these minor issues, but not your economic opinion, and the other parties were the exact reverse then you would vote for FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

kemen wrote: »
    The Hunt has over 200 members, employs 4 full time staff and directly contributed €1.4 million to the local economy.THERES YOUR FACTS

Do you have a link for these facts? thanks.

Cavan shooter there is a huge diffrence between your activity where the dog is used to retrieve a clean kill and where the dog is used to do the actual killing.

I have no problem with what you do or deer hunting with a rifle, in fact i think it is more prefereable than buying farmed meat.

I would rather see coursing, puppy farms and greyhound racing banned or severly legislated for than your activity.

It is not about trying to turn everyone into vegetarians, its trying to inject a little civility into society. The 'whats next' arguement isnt valid as it can just as easily be used the other way around. For example did you know hunting on horseback with hounds was used with people as the quarry in Ireland in the 17th century, so if we overturn the ban of stag hunting are we going back to that? No, of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

you obviously dont know a whole lot about countryside living or farming!! there is no possible way you could ban fox hunting. coming from a large sheep farm, without fox hunting we would lose a large amount of lambs which in turn would mean lose of earnings!! same goes for rearing game birds, invest money to increase the bird population only to have them eatin by foxes?? you must be mad.

You're speaking as if people did it merely as a necessity for population control, which is obviously not what (most) people are getting annoyed about.
    http://www.hai.ie/
    http://www.foxhuntingireland.com/
    ^None of this looks particularly vital to preserve farms to me. This is hunting for entertainment - as their twisted minds seem to enjoy scaring and ripping animals apart for some reason, and *this* is what needs to remain banned. I don't give a toss about it being a "rural tradition" - if we never broke traditions then half of us would be slaves today. If this ban is revoked, then the country has managed to somehow go even more backwards than it already is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

goz83 wrote: »
    Like it or not, it's a fact that there are far more pressing issues. Don't like it....do something about it. Ever set a mouse trap? A mouse might be smaller, but has just as much right to life if you want to go down that road. I wonder if you're a vegetarian :confused:

No I havent actually, thats what cats are for. :P

This line of reasoning aren't really relevant. There are acceptable and legitimate reasons to kill. One is for food and the other is for dealing with pests. Nobody sets a mouse trap because they have a twisted passion for death and pain, they do to get rid of an uninvited guest.

Blood sports are different reasons entirely, this is people killing for the joy of killing and in many cases the joy of torture and inflicting pain. The cases aren't comparable.

grey hound racing?? are you serious!! sure ban horse racing then after that ban marathons!!!to clarify a few things:"The purpose of the pursuit is not to kill the deer but rather to pit the skills of the Huntsman, his hounds and that of the mounted followers against the prowess of one of Irelands most prolific quarry over rural terrain. At the end of the chase the deer either evades capture or is brought to bay and captured manually by designated followers. Upon capture the deer is repatriated to the Deer Reservation where after a period of observation he rejoins the Herd."http://www.wardunionhunt.ie/AboutUs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

paul71 wrote: »
    So you are saying that if FG conformed with your opinion on every one of these minor issues, but not your economic opinion, and the other parties were the exact reverse then you would vote for FG.

Nothing is as clearcut as that (except, perhaps, for extremists). I have areas of agreement and disagreement with every party.

Perhaps we can come up with a compromise here.

People can dress up as georgian fops and hunt down a deer with dogs as long as we can break into your house once a year and set our dogs on you.

Sound fair?

Cavan shooter there is a huge diffrence between your activity where the dog is used to retrieve a clean kill and where the dog is used to do the actual killing.

I have no problem with what you do or deer hunting with a rifle, in fact i think it is more prefereable than buying farmed meat.

I would rather see coursing, puppy farms and greyhound racing banned or severly legislated for than your activity.

It is not about trying to turn everyone into vegetarians, its trying to inject a little civility into society. The 'whats next' arguement isnt valid as it can just as easily be used the other way around. For example did you know hunting on horseback with hounds was used with people as the quarry in Ireland in the 17th century, so if we overturn the ban of stag hunting are we going back to that? No, of course not.

Then let me see the greens and the other political parties along with ICABS etc stand up and say it, they wont. Believe it or not the "whats next" argument is the fear that legitimate hunting and shooting people have, and no one has come out and said anything to alay those fears.

At the moment there is a big "United we stand approach to it" and people who have no interested in Horses (like myself) are all of a sudden out their supporting the local mounted hunt.

grey hound racing?? are you serious!! sure ban horse racing then after that ban marathons!!!to clarify a few things:"The purpose of the pursuit is not to kill the deer but rather to pit the skills of the Huntsman, his hounds and that of the mounted followers against the prowess of one of Irelands most prolific quarry over rural terrain. At the end of the chase the deer either evades capture or is brought to bay and captured manually by designated followers. Upon capture the deer is repatriated to the Deer Reservation where after a period of observation he rejoins the Herd."http://www.wardunionhunt.ie/AboutUs.html

So you are basically admitting that the whole point of it is to harass and torture the animal for your entertainment. Nothing to do with pest control or food acquisition.

well done big man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Do you think its ethical to put an animal in a situation of fearing for its life for fun?

Then let me see the greens and the other political parties along with ICABS etc stand up and say it, they wont. Believe it or not the "whats next" argument is the fear that legitimate hunting and shooting people have, and no one has come out and said anything to alay those fears.

At the moment there is a big "United we stand approach to it" and people who have no interested in Horses (like myself) are all of a sudden out their supporting the local mounted hunt.

Im sure ive heard FF and the greens say many times that they werent going to affect legitimate hunting. I cant be arsed looking for it because i dont want to spend the rest of my afternoon reading drivel by FF and the greens

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

Hunting is part of our heritage, I know many dont like it, but such is life. If you disagree with hunting thats fine by me, however, if the ban is repelled then you will just have to live with it. I've never gone hunting before, but if any of my fellow citizens wish to go,then I'll have no problem with it.
    Related.
    To the 'Hunting is cruel brigade' and the 'urban dweller anti hunting individual'
    big deal,life is cruel.
    What do you really know? People wont say it to your face, but your just joining in on a populist debate and you want to sound like a 'nice, civilised and morally righteous' person.
    It could be argued that ye are nothing more than the 21st century version of the ol village mob carrying pitch forks and torches, led by people and groups who are in fact quite unknown to you.If the people and groups are unknown to you, you also dont know the reasons for their actions, but hey, thats not important to you, whats really important to you is that you can 'sound' like a nice, civilised and morally righteous person.
    Ye are sheep, led by shepards unknown to you. Thats a frightening prospect for a man with a brain. But I bet none of ye are frightened, right?
    All the best.

i dont see " harass and torture " in any statement i made.. hunting is a way of life get over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Nothing is as clearcut as that (except, perhaps, for extremists). I have areas of agreement and disagreement with every party.

As do I, and no single party agrees with all the minor issues which I have an opinion on, in fact I would challenge anyone to find a party that does agree with them on all issues, but I will not compromise my vote on core issues at the expense of trivia like stag hunting, smoking weed, speed limits, potholes, or even the less than trivia such as abortion.

I accept that the best I can do on these is to personally lobby individual politicians or join with pressure groups to lobby jointly, if the issue concerns me enough.

Im sure ive heard FF and the greens say many times that they werent going to affect legitimate hunting. I cant be arsed looking for it because i dont want to spend the rest of my afternoon reading drivel by FF and the greens

you see even you said "drivel", you don't believe it either:D;)

hatz7 wrote: »
    Hunting is part of our heritage, I know many dont like it, but such is life. If you disagree with hunting thats fine by me, however, if the ban is repelled then you will just have to live with it. I've never gone hunting before, but if any of my fellow citizens wish to go,then I'll have no problem with it.
    Related.
    To the 'Hunting is cruel brigade' and the 'urban dweller anti hunting individual'
    big deal,life is cruel.
    What do you really know? People wont say it to your face, but your just joining in on a populist debate and you want to sound like a 'nice, civilised and morally righteous' person.
    It could be argued that ye are nothing more than the 21st century version of the ol village mob carrying pitch forks and torches, led by people and groups who are in fact quite unknown to you.If the people and groups are unknown to you, you also dont know the reasons for their actions, but hey, thats not important to you, whats really important to you is that you can 'sound' like a nice, civilised and morally righteous person.
    Ye are sheep, led by shepards unknown to you. Thats a frightening prospect for a man with a brain. But I bet none of ye are frightened, right?
    All the best.

Its lunatic ramblings like this that convince me more

you want to sound like a 'nice, civilised and morally righteous' person.

So by this logic hunters are not nice or civilised.

The heritage thing? give us a break. It was once our heritage to blind people so they wouldnt attain political office. Just because we have done things for a while does not make it right. Do you think the pagentry of stag hunting is an irish construct?

Your right. Life is cruel, thats why why there is no moral obstacle to be mugging you. Really, lame arguement

i dont see " harass and torture " in any statement i made.. hunting is a way of life get over it

Stag hunting is not a way of life. Stag hunting takes place once a year. A bit like christmas, and if you were saying christmas is a way of life you would sound less mental

Like it or not hassment and torture is exactly what happens to the animal during hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Worztron wrote: »
    Stag hunting should be completely banned. It is disgraceful.

Do you eat meat?

We can survive on veg and soy beans but we choose to kill animals for food. No difference to kiling them for sport, in my book. They're both unnessecary in theory.

hatz7 wrote: »
    Related.
    big deal,life is cruel.
    All the best.

Ridiculous. You may not be aware of it, but some people do actually care about living things other than humans. Stags are being hunted, disturbed and tortured for the fun of ignoramuses with similar thoughts to yourself. I don't see why we'd need to know the "people and groups" involved to realise that this is cruelty. Your post was incredibly ignorant and patronising towards those who feel strongly towards animal welfare. And, yet again: yes, staghunting is a tradition/part of our heritage. Traditions are NOT always right, for the hundredth time. :mad:

this isnt the 17th century you know!! things have changed!! noone is ever going to change your mind. your an anti and thats your opinion. but i bet you've never taken part in any feildsport of any discription or even attempted to.. should you not try it first and make up your mind later??
    veg is a living organisim to... so are we all goin to starve?? with your veiws we would

You must either think we're stupid or be severely deluded if you're trying to tell us that stags/deer aren't harmed at the hands of hunters and their dogs.

this isnt the 17th century you know!! things have changed!! noone is ever going to change your mind. your an anti and thats your opinion. but i bet you've never taken part in any feildsport of any discription or even attempted to.. should you not try it first and make up your mind later??

Exactly, it's not the 17th century. This is why we need to outlaw such cruelty!
    And about telling us to try it... :rolleyes: No. Just no.

• Advertisement

you've never actually witnessed a hunt in person have you?? you see the word "hunt" and automaticly think torture blood guts everywhere!! well your wrong!!

Advertisement