Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vote for Fine Gael is a vote for stag hunting.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

your just affraid you'd like it

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

kemen wrote: »
    you've never actually witnessed a hunt in person have you?? you see the word "hunt" and automaticly think torture blood guts everywhere!! well your wrong!!

No I haven't, and I don't ever intend to. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to how I'm wrong? Even if the stags aren't being killed (and they usually are, otherwise the Greens wouldn't even have wanted it outlawed), they're still being disturbed against their will and forced to flee. For your entertainment.
    your just affraid you'd like it:D
    Rofl! Thanks for making me laugh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Downlinz wrote: »
    No I havent actually, thats what cats are for. :P

So it's ok to use cats to do the dirty killing of what some consider vermin? When dogs do it, it's cold hearted? I believe some people consider Deer to be vermin, but one wouldn't complain about hunting mice in a field (vermin, or otherwise). The fact is that not all people would consider Deer to be vermin (myself included), but not all people consider mice to be vermin either and many keep them as pets. Therefore, I do see a cause to draw some comparison to the two animals.

FYI - I did mention that I don't agree with the lifting of the ban, but that we had far more pressing issues on our plates right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

your just affraid you'd like it

who are you talking to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

As a city boy I'm against it but I fully appreciate that many country people are for it. We are both entitled to our opinion on it. I hope it doesn't get through but in a democracy the majority gets what they want. Though anyone who votes against FG on the basis of their support for this is very foolish indeed, given where were at.

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    As a city boy I'm against it but I fully appreciate that many country people are for it. We are both entitled to our opinion on it. I hope it doesn't get through but in a democracy the majority gets what they want. Though anyone who votes against FG on the basis of their support for this is very foolish indeed, given where were at.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

Its lunatic ramblings like this that convince me more

you want to sound like a 'nice, civilised and morally righteous' person.

So by this logic hunters are not nice or civilised.

The heritage thing? give us a break. It was once our heritage to blind people so they wouldnt attain political office. Just because we have done things for a while does not make it right. Do you think the pagentry of stag hunting is an irish construct?

Your right. Life is cruel, thats why why there is no moral obstacle to be mugging you. Really, lame arguement

Political skulduggery is not considered heritage,but I'm not going to get into semantics here, but
    can you comment further on the blinding of many thousands of Irish people to prevent them from attaining political office?

There aint nothing new about hunting, be it stag, boar or bison, as for its pagentry, its greatest influenced could be attributed to climate.

I would argue that your comments are laughable,your intellect, muddied and your response to my original post...typical of those who hold fundamentalist views.

All the best, kid

Violafy wrote: »
    Ridiculous. You may not be aware of it, but some people do actually care about living things other than humans. Stags are being hunted, disturbed and tortured for the fun of ignoramuses with similar thoughts to yourself. I don't see why we'd need to know the "people and groups" involved to realise that this is cruelty. Your post was incredibly ignorant and patronising towards those who feel strongly towards animal welfare. And, yet again: yes, staghunting is a tradition/part of our heritage. Traditions are NOT always right, for the hundredth time. :mad:

I don't see why we'd need to know the "people and groups" involved

Ah here lad, you should always know the people and groups involved,why they are involved and what their future wishes/intentions are.

In my opinion, its never good to follow extremist groups, and make no mistake, your bedfellows are indeed that.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Perhaps we can come up with a compromise here.

People can dress up as georgian fops and hunt down a deer with dogs as long as we can break into your house once a year and set our dogs on you.

Sound fair?

Animals ≠ humans.

Do you tell farmers that they should live in a barn with 200 other people and get turned into burgers in 3 years time?

hatz7 wrote: »
    I don't see why we'd need to know the "people and groups" involved

Ah here lad, you should always know the people and groups involved,why they are involved and what their future wishes/intentions are.

In my opinion, its never good to follow extremist groups, and make no mistake, your bedfellows are indeed that.

All the best.

I was just making the point that knowing hunters personally wouldn't make the sport of staghunting any less cruel. Who are these extremist bedfellows you speak of?! :rolleyes: Oh and I'd classify things like PETA, who don't even want us to keep animals as pets or get milk from them, as an extremist group. I really don't think that wanting staghunting to stay banned is "extreme" tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Any new government is really going to have to do something about the level of poaching that is going on. Every single weekend I have to chase off groups. Is infuriating and the situation is intolerable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Perhaps changing the Trespass laws to one which permits the use of land mines for the uninvited guest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Manach wrote: »
    Perhaps changing the Trespass laws to one which permits the use of land mines for the uninvited guest?

Would be good but I doubt it. I think should be introduced that if caught gun licence should be gone forever

Political skulduggery is not considered heritage,but I'm not going to get into semantics here, but
    can you comment further on the blinding of many thousands of Irish people to prevent them from attaining political office?

There aint nothing new about hunting, be it stag, boar or bison, as for its pagentry, its greatest influenced could be attributed to climate.

I would argue that your comments are laughable,your intellect, muddied and your response to my original post...typical of those who hold fundamentalist views.

All the best, kid

Blindings were used in ireland to prevent people from attaining kingship most books about gaelic Ireland will make reference to it

How could its greatest influence be attributed to climate? Are you blaming the warm weather or someting

Your 'arguement' that my comments are laughable isnt an arguement. you asked one question made one statement that you claimed as an arguement and then tried an insult. None of which made a point other than to expose holes in your own knowledge

Blindings were used in ireland to prevent people from attaining kingship most books about gaelic Ireland will make reference to it

How could its greatest influence be attributed to climate? Are you blaming the warm weather or someting

Your 'arguement' that my comments are laughable isnt an arguement. you asked one question made one statement that you claimed as an arguement and then tried an insult. None of which made a point other than to expose holes in your own knowledge

point out the insult, or are you just getting a little upset, bless you

point out the insult, or are you just getting a little upset, bless you

seeing as that your unable to read you said my intellect was muddied, called me a fundamentalist ect. your attempts at patronising without actually making a point, presenting an arguement is really a little sad

care to address any of the other points. like how climate influences it. or even an arguement as to how stag hunting is part of 'our' heritage and why that means its a good thing to keep?

How could its greatest influence be attributed to climate? Are you blaming the warm weather or something

Your 'argument' that my comments are laughable isn't an argument. you asked one question made one statement that you claimed as an argument and then tried an insult. None of which made a point other than to expose holes in your own knowledge

I think your really grasping at straws here kid, linking blinding to present day politics, are ya having a laugh,

Alot of clothing can be related to climate.
    You wrote 'Blaming the weather', what are you on about? What is a hole in knowledge, explain that to me.
    Knowledge is never complete. Except of course if you are an extremist.
    A bit of coherency wouldn't go astray in whatever point your trying to make.(other than you dogmatic hunting is wrong)
    You have taken my original piece off on a tangent. You are a fundamentalist without even knowing it, the most dangerous kind, it could be argued.

All the best.

Alot of clothing can be related to climate.
    You wrote 'Blaming the weather', what are you on about? What is a hole in knowledge, explain that to me.
    climate clothing...you dont see the link there?
    Knowledge is never complete. Except of course if you are an extremist.
    A bit of coherency wouldn't go astray in whatever point your trying to make.(other than you dogmatic hunting is wrong)
    You have taken my original piece off on a tangent. You are a fundamentalist without even knowing it, the most dangerous kind, it could be argued.

All the best.

You keep using this phrase 'it could be argued' but i dont think you know what it means. You have yet to make an arguement. I notice you have yet again declined to justify what makes stag hunting part of 'our' heritage and why that justifys it (by the way this would constitute an arguement)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... A bit of coherency wouldn't go astray ...

Apparently written with no sense of irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

some rural traditions need to be maintained, not abolished. especially by wooly green party people who live in suburbs of the city

next thing ye'll be claiming badger baiting and coursing are cruel...

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    some rural traditions need to be maintained, not abolished. especially by wooly green party people who live in suburbs of the city

Of course some do. this isn't one of them. Other than 'its tradition' I have yet to hear an arguement against Stag hunting being a cruel and deplorable sport

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

WTF? :confused::confused::confused:

FG? Stag Hunting? Muslims?

How exactly is that going to get people back to work and save the country from falling off a cliff completely?

The OP should go to Starbucks and smell the coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

WTF? :confused::confused::confused:

FG? Stag Hunting? Muslims?

How exactly is that going to get people back to work and save the country from falling off a cliff completely?

The OP should go to Starbucks and smell the coffee.

Jesus I thought nobody would come forward and say what you just have.
    Stag hunting versus banking crisis, IMF, Health, evictions to name but a few.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Animals ≠ humans.

Do you tell farmers that they should live in a barn with 200 other people and get turned into burgers in 3 years time?

Ahahahahaha. Bleedin hilarious!

nice_guy80 wrote: »

You sound like you're on a wind up, meaning that, as sensibleken said, we have yet to hear a proper argument as to why stag hunting should be brought back, other than blindly stating that "it's a rural tradition".
    Would you like to finally explain how stag hunting ISN'T cruel? And you can tell us why badger baiting isn't cruel as well, seeing as you mentioned it.
    Nice, ironic username btw. :rolleyes:

seeing as that your unable to read you said my intellect was muddied, called me a fundamentalist ect. your attempts at patronising without actually making a point, presenting an arguement is really a little sad

care to address any of the other points. like how climate influences it. or even an arguement as to how stag hunting is part of 'our' heritage and why that means its a good thing to keep?

Ya, me thinks you are a little upset, I'm a relatively strong reader, but I had great difficulty in trying to comprehend your last post. It doesnt make any sense at all. No joke, just try reading over that piece you posted.

It is for that reason that I think you are an extremist. It is more important to you for me to be 'wrong' and for you to be 'right', the the debate is lost. I knew this would happen...it is destined to happen with people like you who 'know better' than the rest of us.

I believe that you would be able to form a stronger argument, if you took a few minutes to think things over before you start typing.

are you interested in debate or are you just trying to convert? (I'm not too sure if you'll understand that sentence, but I'm hoping you'll surprise me)

All the best.

climate clothing...you dont see the link there?

You keep using this phrase 'it could be argued' but i dont think you know what it means. You have yet to make an arguement. I notice you have yet again declined to justify what makes stag hunting part of 'our' heritage and why that justifys it (by the way this would constitute an arguement)

The reason for stag hunting.
    I was hoping (I'm an eternal optimist) that you would notice that it is people.....THEY are the reason for it.
    (You may feel a bit lost now, but don't worry your sense of great moral righteousness will soon kick back in) The last sentence is now forgotten and you are now back to where you were before you read the post.
    BANG! its magic

People can be reasons too.
    Animals are not human, I know you like your puppies and little fluffy kittens, hey, I like some animals enough not to put them in a sandwich, but enforcing a ban on hunting, I don't know, it just sounds like a waste of time and resources. If there are people who wish to do it, then...as long as the grand national doesn't come tearing over my back yard, aha let em off, if its what they want to do, if its what their fathers and mothers have done and others before them.

What about the views of those who are in favor of hunting because of the pest issue? Their views have not being mentioned anywhere here, their views must be taken into consideration. (Not that you would for one second)

I love what you wrote above. The whole, argument, justify this justify that, JUSTIFIED! Its hilarious. If you need to understand why.... I HAVE A GREAT IDEA, ask the ward union, I'm sure they would oblige you, you could even learn something.

I'm always willing to debate, I will not loose the faith in peoples ability to surprise and hopefully you may join in this debate as an equal.

Apparently written with no sense of irony.

oh my life is ruled or is it ruined or it could be both by irony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

Stag hunting and the blaspheme law make this country look like a backward state of gombeens. Labour have done a u-turn and have promised to oppose the reinstatement of the stag hunt should they be in coalition so hopefully fg won't get in on their own. 2 sidenotes, a muslim colleage of mine stated his government holds Irelands blaspheme law up as an example when imposing the laws of the koran toward homosexuals being murdered etc. and on the stag hunting front-the stag doesn't know its for fun.

Stag hunting should be allowed,....using a weapon to do so should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

danbohan wrote: »
    maybe we can have a compromise and ban stag hunting in dublin only .

Temple bar will be a safer place!

Advertisement