Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECSSA processing times

Options
  • 19-02-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice / guidance.

Firstly - are any of you members of ECSSA - and if so - can you let me know how long it typically takes for them to process a completion certificate? In other words - how long from when you submit to them - to when they submit to ESB Networks.

I called ECSSA and they said they typically process within 24 hours. My electrician (and builder) say that in their expreience it often takes a week.

The reason I'm asking is that the electrician working on my house - who is an ECSSA member - told me that he submitted a completion cert for my house 2 weeks ago. He now says it must have got lost in the post - and that he will have to issue a new cert. He made a big deal of the fact that he would incur a signifciant additional charge (that he would cover) to issue a new cert - as he would be charged for the old cert. When I asked him if he got charged the same amount for a cert that gets lost in the post, eaten by his dog or has tea spilled on it as he does for a processed cert he said yes.

I can't get my head around this. If these certs - even unprocessed are so valuable - why would you ever put them in the normal post? It's the equivalent of putting cash in an envelope and crossing your fingers that it gets to its destination.

So if anyone can shed any light on this and explain the process in simple terms (i.e. - how much is the physical cert, how much do ECSSA charge to process it etc) so I can understand it better it would be much appreciated. If anyone can also clear up whether or not a lost cert incurs a charge that would also help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I think he is not being straight with you
    Normally processed immediately
    Certainly within 3 working days

By the way a new cert cost should be minimal (less 10 euro) if he is registered and has all tests already done

Something not quite right
    Does the builder owe him money and he is holding cert until payment
    These are tough times and I wouldn't blame him

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Thanks meercat. Don't think it's an issue with builder owing electrician. Builder uses him almost exclusively in his jobs.

I know something is up - but I can't figure out what either of them have to gain in delaying finishing the job on my house. He's done about 90% of the work - and I've only paid him 75% of the contract value so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Ecssa process a cert by close of business the day they receive it.The esb normally take 10 days to connect power. If the first cert was lost the only charge he incurs is a sur charge stamp and cost of a cert. He is lying to you but then again I never issue a cert until full payment is received
    Ring esb networks and quote your mprn no. and ask what the story is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

he's prob waiting for money or electrical work isn't finished

beanie10 wrote: »
    If the first cert was lost the only charge he incurs is a sur charge stamp and cost of a cert.

Do you know how much that cost would be - approximately?
    Ring esb networks and quote your mprn no. and ask what the story is.

I've rung ESB Nwtworks a few times - and they can't do anything until they receive the cert.

As it's a meter relocation rather than new conection - hopefully it will be less than 10 days wait.

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    he's prob waiting for money or electrical work isn't finished

That's something I'm suspicious of now. My assumption is that all sockets, light fittings etc have to be connected before it can be certified - am I right? There are 3 sandard external lights and an exernal security light that have been wired but not fitted.

Every cable has to be terminated in connectors or a fitting before a cert can be issued, obviously your electrician either doesnt know or never has tested a house before which is very worrying for you. If he is not testing the house i wonder what other short cuts he is doing.
    Around the €10 mark for cert,surcharge and post stamp.

i wouldn't get carried away sparkie bashing beanie

you haven't seen the job

you haven't seen the job

Let me know what additional info would be helpful - I've seen the job.

id rather not thanks

it's not unknown for contractors to send in a cert early-at the request of a customer or builder

ESBN don't connect these days

• Advertisement

id rather not thanks

it's not unknown for contractors to send in a cert early-at the request of a customer or builder

ESBN don't connect these days

ESBN still do meter relocations - which is the requirement for this job.

I wouldn't mid so much if he'd actually sent the cert in early - my problem is him trying to tell me that it must have got lost in the post - 24 hours after telling me he'd been speaking to ECSSA and they told him the cert was being processed.

the contractor 'energizes' the installation

The contractor is a spoofer. He actually gives similar vague and waffly answers to you.

I can't understand why electricians have a bad reputation. :rolleyes:

:D haha

you haven't seen the job
    Have you seen the job????
    Plates, he is obviously lying to you.I cant see why he would lie to you, if he is waiting on payment he should just say so, if its not ready for a cert he should tell you.
    Maybe he has ran out of certs and is waiting on new ones. I cant see what he has to gain by lying to you.
    You could ring ecssa and see is he still registered with them,maybe he let his insurance run out.

no

but i didn't cast any aspersions

-you did,based on limited info:)

It all became clearer today. The electrician who did the work is not registered and is getting the work certified by another electrician who is certified. While it doesn't explain how they would benefit from telling me the cert got lost in the post (he serously expects me to believe that!) - it does explain why both builder and electrician have been so cagey.

Plates wrote: »
    It all became clearer today. The electrician who did the work is not registered and is getting the work certified by another electrician who is certified. While it doesn't explain how they would benefit from telling me the cert got lost in the post (he serously expects me to believe that!) - it does explain why both builder and electrician have been so cagey.

that is against regulations

He did say that the certifying electrician did some of the work too - but I assume the certifiying electrician has to do all of the work - right?

totally illegal

what are you going to do now

are you going to call ECSSA or leave well enough alone:)

• Advertisement

He did say that the certifying electrician did some of the work too - but I assume the certifiying electrician has to do all of the work - right?
    who is getting paid for the work
    who is employed by the builder
    who will you claim off if things go wrong

meercat wrote: »
    who is getting paid for the work - I'm paying builder - builder says he's paying guy that's certifying
    who is employed by the builder - guy certifying
    who will you claim off if things go wrong - the builder

I thought all this sort of sh*te had been weeded out by the recession!

somehow, i doubt everybody is being paid by cheque here:pac:

"The reason I'm asking is that the electrician working on my house - who is an ECSSA member - told me that he submitted a completion cert for my house 2 weeks ago. He now says it must have got lost in the post - and that he will have to issue a new cert. He made a big deal of the fact that he would incur a signifciant additional charge (that he would cover) to issue a new cert - as he would be charged for the old cert. When I asked him if he got charged the same amount for a cert that gets lost in the post, eaten by his dog or has tea spilled on it as he does for a processed cert he said yes."

story changed from 1st post?

story changed from 1st post?

Presume you're referring to me saying he was ECSSA registered? If so - that's what I was told at the time. Following some heated discussions it turns out he's not registered at all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056154203&page=2

similar to this thread
    seems to be a regular occurrence
    mercenary electrical contractors

totally illegal

what are you going to do now

are you going to call ECSSA or leave well enough alone:)
    Is sparky bashing allowed now???
    Afaik if a certified electrician certs a job, whether he carried out the work or not, is legally responsible for the electrical installation.
    Ecssa will test the house and cert for €250 app (i think) without carrying out the work.

Presume you're referring to me saying he was ECSSA registered? If so - that's what I was told at the time. Following some heated discussions it turns out he's not registered at all.

not having a go at you
    im just saying that the electrician never said that his helper was the contractor
    why did he say he was
    if i were me i would get eccsa out to inspect installation
    tell the contractor that and see does he still certify it
    somehow i doubt it

not having a go at you
    im just saying that the electrician never said that his helper was the contractor
    why did he say he was

I've had no dealings with the certifying electrician - I didn't even know he existed until the "helper" (who told me he was ECCSA registered last week) and the builder told me about him today.

• Advertisement

Is sparky bashing allowed now???
    Afaik if a certified electrician certs a job, whether he carried out the work or not, is legally responsible for the electrical installation.
    Ecssa will test the house and cert for €250 app (i think) without carrying out the work.

beanie
    it is not permissable to certify another electricians installation
    only exceptional circumstances with specific instruction from the regulatory body

Advertisement