Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECSSA processing times

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Plates wrote: »
    I've had no dealings with the certifying electrician - I didn't even know he existed until the "helper" (who told me he was ECCSA registered last week) and the builder told me about him today.

if i were me i would get eccsa out to inspect installation
    tell the contractor that and see does he still certify it
    somehow i doubt it

http://ecssa.ie/modules.php?op=modload&name=Newsletter&file=preview&id=10

Suspension of Member
    We can confirm that within the past month a member has been suspended for 6 months for giving a non-member a certificate for an installation not carried out by the member.
    The directors have confirmed that,
    1) An automatic suspension of 6 months will apply in future to any member for this offence.
    2) Should the member commit a 2nd offence, then his membership will be terminated and with no facility to re-apply for membership at a future date.

quote this to him

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

here we go again !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

meercat wrote: »
    beanie
    it is not permissable to certify another electricians installation
    only exceptional circumstances with specific instruction from the regulatory body
    As an electrical contractor registered with ECSSA I had a house i wired certified by somone else. I was owed €6,000 no sign of it to come so i didnt connect heating or one kitchen light. I told the client when he pays me i will finish off and cert the house, to which he agreed.
    I tried for 1 month to contact him to no avail so i paid him a visit only to see him in his new house cooking dinner! The cute fecker never intended to pay me got another contractor to finish off (for €200). House wired for €200 not bad.
    I rang ECSSA to make a complaint, they couldnt do anything without mprn no. which the client wasnt going to give me.If I did have the mprn no. they could only repremand a fellow ECSSA member not others like RECI.
    I learnt the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

really-they need an mprn number before they'll take a look?

also surely they'll pass on any info to reci -who'll then take action

i swear some guys actually believe it's allowed-to test and certify other people's work

the whole self-certification thing will have to be scrapped -the way it's gone

• Advertisement

i'm RECI myself for the last 16yrs(i'm thinking of packing it in)

am i wrong or is most of this buying certs going on with ecssa members?

beanie10 wrote: »
    As an electrical contractor registered with ECSSA I had a house i wired certified by somone else. I was owed €6,000 no sign of it to come so i didnt connect heating or one kitchen light. I told the client when he pays me i will finish off and cert the house, to which he agreed.
    I tried for 1 month to contact him to no avail so i paid him a visit only to see him in his new house cooking dinner! The cute fecker never intended to pay me got another contractor to finish off (for €200). House wired for €200 not bad.
    I rang ECSSA to make a complaint, they couldnt do anything without mprn no. which the client wasnt going to give me.If I did have the mprn no. they could only repremand a fellow ECSSA member not others like RECI.
    I learnt the hard way.

sorry for you an that score
    you will always get a rogue contractor
    they dont understand that in the long run they are affecting themselves
    if ecssa treated me like that i would be over to reci sharp
    surely the cer who regulate reci and ecssa would be interested in this
    http://reci.ie/Portals/0/cer09109-cp3.pdf
    (could only find the link on reci site)
    it is completely against regulations to certify other contractors work and if ecssa didnt investigate or take action on your behalf you should take it further
    i dont understand why a registered contractor would risk his reputation and certify another mans work anyway even if it were allowed.

mods sorry if we got sidetracked on the op question

i'm amazed if that's true

surely they'll trace the rogue contractor from the customer name -

and take action

why would they need mprn

times are hard now and the registered guy is competing against the non-registered guy(who is buying his cert illegally)

the customer is in cahoots most of the time as they're getting a better deal

M cebee wrote: »
    i'm amazed if that's true

surely they'll trace the rogue contractor from the customer name -

and take action

why would they need mprn

i agree
    why was no action taken
    i wouldnt just let it go

"times are hard now and the registered guy is competing against the non-registered guy(who is buying his cert illegally)"

why would a registered contractor sell a cert to someone who is undercutting him
    its madness

• Advertisement

esbn won't do anything without an mprn number-sure

reci and ecssa should be able to pull a cert and investigate easily if a contractor is 6k out of pocket

The only way ECSSA could check who certified the house is if they have the mprn no., I gave them the name address etc but they say they cant check itn unless they have the mprn no.
    If RECI contractor who certified it they reckon feck all can be done as RECI dont listen to ECSSA complaints, and vice versa i assume.
    If it was an ECSSA contractor he would just be warned if its his first offence. I am in total disbelieve myself.
    There needs to be more communication between ECSSA and RECI and less competition.
    RECI did sent out a letter stating they got a request to certify the house from the client to which i replied with a solicitors letter stating the issue regards money.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Just to update - after a lot of verbal and written abuse from me to the builder and electrician - a new cert was sent to ECSSA on Monday and was processed and sent to ESB by 11am Tuesday. This is after both builder and electrician telling me it can take up to 7 days for a cert to be processed.

If there's one thing that makes me mad it's tradesmen trying to pull a fast one. Do they really believe people are that gullible?

If you dont mind me asking why did you go with builder?

beanie10 wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking why did you go with builder?

He was recommended by someone I know. At the time of the recommendation they were only about halfway into their build and they were happy - but things started to go pear shaped for them towards the end - by which time he'd already started with us.

We were happy with the quality of work he had done on the 3 jobs that we visited (2 completed and 1 in progress). We also met the clients from those jobs and they gave very positive feedback. Maybe he guided us towards the only 3 people he didn't f**k around.

Ask the electrician if somthing goes wrong whos insurance do you claim off, his or the contractors. And get it in writing.
    I refer to a recent case involving a contractor and his employee. The employee wired a house which caught fire due to electrical fault. The employee told client to claim off contractor as he certified the house the contractor said to claim off employee as he wired it.I didnt hear the outcome.I heard it from an ECSSA inspector.

If anything goes wrong I'll be going after the builder - that's who my contract is with and that's who I'm paying.

I suppose at least your covered that way.

Hopefully my last question on this. I presume I'm entitled to a copy of the completion certificate? Builder seems reluctant to provide this for some reason. I know it's been submitted and processed as I verified this with ESB Networks - but I haven't yet received the copy I think I'm entitled to.

yes you should receive a customer copy
    the electrician should complete a post connection test and give it to you
    ask for a copy of the test records also
    if he has done the installation ,it is a requirement that he keeps a record of the tests he carried out
    i would have no problem giving a copy to the client

• Advertisement

he doesn't want to hand out a copy because the jobs not legit

i thought plates already knew this-i don't know why he's back asking stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Name the builder and the electrician !

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Name the builder and the electrician !

Builders website is at http://bit.ly/gh0g9M

Electricians website is at http://bit.ly/er0LZk

Advertisement