Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing belt kit

• 19-02-2011 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering should engine mounting bolts be changed when doing the timing belt in a car and also should these come in the kit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not on any of the cars I've owned anyway. What car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

07 Passat TDI, guy who is doing the timing belt wants to change them as part of doing the timing belt.

Not part of the kit and we didn't know to get them. So do they have to be changed when the belt is done ? The water pump is being done and i knew about this, but the bolts i knew nothing of.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's no need.

Strange, i wonder are they expensive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm pretty sure it's not part of the standard belt job at a main dealer but I will defer to a mechanics better knowledge if I'm wrong.

Unless he thinks the mounts are bad then I don't see why you would need them changed. You'd get them in a main dealer if you wanted them. They're usually not bad price wise for parts like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i think its one of those 'correct practice' things that nobody ever really does, like replacing wheel bearings in axle pairs and things like that.

so technically it may be recommended to do it, but in reality its just ever done.

im sure the engine mounting bolts are under a lot of stress because 'engines are heavy' , and once you've removed them and relieved the tension they are compromised and shouldn't be re-fitted encase they strip and you engine comes loose. but in reality most people are more than happy to take a chance.

i can recall hearing it being required on a job before, but honestly cant remember the specifics of it. i don't think they will be all that expensive though, a couple of quid at the most. i don't think your mechanic wants to do them as a money spinner for himself, they aren't greatly expensive, or a bother to fit, and he would have to go out of his way to get them, so i'm sure he must have genuine reasoning.

andyseadog wrote: »
    i think its one of those 'correct practice' things that nobody ever really does, like replacing wheel bearings in axle pairs and things like that.

so technically it may be recommended to do it, but in reality its just ever done.

im sure the engine mounting bolts are under a lot of stress because 'engines are heavy' , and once you've removed them and relieved the tension they are compromised and shouldn't be re-fitted encase they strip and you engine comes loose. but in reality most people are more than happy to take a chance.

Thanks for that, but the guy doing our car isn't and i have to say i'm rather happy after reading your post. Just shows he is putting nothing to chance if he is doing small things like that.

We're supplying al the parts as my brother in law works in a motor factors and we get a discount. As you said no extra money in it for the machenic !
    Thanks for the post and info !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i'm no mechanic, so don't take that as gospel, just my semi-educated guess on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Are Passat engines long longitudinally mounted?

I have changed belts on them before but it is a long time ago but even so, I don't think there is any engine mounts to come off to do it.

There may well be a reason for it, he may have tightened them on a previous occasion but it seems a bit strange to me.

@andy, head bolts are changed but they are designed to stretch when tightened. Engine mounting bolts are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There is no need in a 07 Passat even with big mileage. @Slidey the timing belt is facing the drivers side shock and not the Intercooler like the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Maybe he's getting mixed up with the crankshaft pulley bolt. I know you have to change it on the Ford zetec engines but not a Passat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

-Corkie- wrote: »
    @Slidey the timing belt is facing the drivers side shock and not the Intercooler like the old ones.
    Ah, didn't know that. Haven't been under the bonnet on one newer than 04

Advertisement