Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B3 Stepping boards?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting one of the second generation i-series but was reading about the problems with the mobo's. Has anyone heard any information when the new mobo's will be available for purchase here in Europe? Preferably from dabs since I have found them to be the cheapest.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardware/35578/intel-start-shipping-b3-stepping-lga-1155-chipsets-february-14
    Intel has revealed that the first B3 stepping 6 Series (desktop, mobile) and C200 series (server, workstation) chipsets, which fix the previously acknowledged SATA 3.0 Gbps bug, will be available to customers (OEMs and such) as of February 14.

This date is pretty much in-line with Intel's promise that shipments of products that are based on B3 chips will ship by the end of February.

The B3 stepping features the following updates:

- Minor metal layer change from B2 to B3 improving lifetime wear out with no changes to functionality or design specifications (this is what we want)

- New S-specs and MM numbers for the converting products

- Revision ID will change from 04h to 05h

- BIOS Update (Revision 1.1.4 of the BIOS Specification Update and Reference Code)

The chips making the move from B2 to B3 are the Q67, H67, H61, P67, Q65, QM67, HM67, HM65, B65, UM67, QS67, Z68, C202, C204 and C206.

I'd say that there'll be a big shortage of stock and prices will probably be forced up.

Advertisement