Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Indoor Market on high street Sats 10-4

• 19-02-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

There is a new indoor market open in the old an post sorting offices. Access from the quay and high street! It's a huge space and they are looking for more stall holders (you get a table, chair, can even go in under a collective insurance).
    Come down today between 11am and 4pm! Food and artisans!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I saw this advertised before Christmas and it was supposed to open then, I even went down there at the time for a look and the place was locked up. Hope it works out, would be a nice addition to the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

would this be like the set up in cork for the meat market place i think its called havent been up to it in years and dont even know is it still going but hope it is as it was an allidins cave and a experience to go into back then ,,hope it takes off in fairness a indoor apple market and going back to the older ways of trading that the quay was used to doing tradition :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

would this be like the set up in cork for the meat market place i think its called havent been up to it in years and dont even know is it still going but hope it is as it was an allidins cave and a experience to go into back then ,,hope it takes off in fairness a indoor apple market and going back to the older ways of trading that the quay was used to doing tradition :)

Do you mean 'The English Market' in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The English Market is indeed still going (since 1788) and will be going when all others have come and gone!

They have a website and everything, this is just the kind of thing that Waterford needs to develope

http://www.corkenglishmarket.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Definitely has a lot of potential to grow and it feels good to be rejuvenating a derelict building in the middle of the city. Was open a few days prior to Christmas and then shut down until the last couple weeks. Come March the advertising will roll out and fingers crossed it takes off in a big way. Places to sit and chill out and have a coffee and something delicious to eat, too... can't go wrong! Just needs the support of the community. In time the aim is to be open to the public Thurs-Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

Hi, would be interested in setting up a stall in this? Unemployed so have been baking alot lately.. might put in a stall just to earn a few extra quid, just wondering what the cost is of putting a stall in? Are there many other little baked good stalls?

Whats the legal angle, I'm sure I heard there is some crap legistation about home produce not being legally safe or something. Its worth checking on before you start cranking out buns and cakes :)

I'm not on any benefits if that makes a difference? Not signing on or anything.

Well I'd not worry about that unless it takes off, then you'd need to start issuing receipts, keeping a book and registering for self-assesed income tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

mike65 wrote: »
    Whats the legal angle, I'm sure I heard there is some crap legistation about home produce not being legally safe or something. Its worth checking on before you start cranking out buns and cakes :)

Legal Smegal! How many Irish Mammies cooked and baked for years and years without any certification from Europe and better food than you'd get in any restaurant or supermarket today.

Try not to poison any one though! :)

• Advertisement

I agree, thread for UK dunno if there are many differences here

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=69082

Ah now.. can't be bothered with all that!

There goes that idea then! haha!

Whats needed is a "collective" kitchen where likeminded peeps can club together to buy the gear and fit it in a small light industrial unit. Trouble is, the produce is no longer home-made at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

blobbyblob wrote: »
    Legal Smegal! How many Irish Mammies cooked and baked for years and years without any certification from Europe and better food than you'd get in any restaurant or supermarket today.

Try not to poison any one though! :)

Its those kinda pointless rules & regulations that have the world the way it is today. I was reading an article in a magazine over the weekend where this old lad was saying for the first 50yrs of his life nothing had a best before date on it. People used their noses! He went on to point out that during WW2 it was an offence to throw out food. Good point I thought considering how much pefectly edible food is thrown out by each and everyone of us. Ridiculous really.
    Another related topic he spoke about was how the idiotic standards of cleaniness today made people subseptible to bugs/bacteria because a lot of todays young people have never come into contact with a large amount of dirt. Sometimes progress is not all it's made up to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

been in there the past two weekends, loads of space in there, nice stuff, it'd be nice if it picked some interest and got going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Its those kinda pointless rules & regulations that have the world the way it is today. I was reading an article in a magazine over the weekend where this old lad was saying for the first 50yrs of his life nothing had a best before date on it. People used their noses! He went on to point out that during WW2 it was an offence to throw out food. Good point I thought considering how much pefectly edible food is thrown out by each and everyone of us. Ridiculous really.
    Another related topic he spoke about was how the idiotic standards of cleaniness today made people subseptible to bugs/bacteria because a lot of todays young people have never come into contact with a large amount of dirt. Sometimes progress is not all it's made up to be!

A third of food that people buy is thrown out. A lot of people are afraid to eat anything if it's on or close to the sell by and use by dates yet there's nothing wrong with it.

I know people who throw out things like eggs if they don't use them within a week of buying them even when there's still days left with the use by date. Hens don't put the stamp on their eggs, the floating test will let your know how fresh or not eggs are.

I often use things past their use by date and it's always been fine. As already said people should rely on their nose and eyes.

At the moment there's a programme on one of the UK's tv channels "The People's Supermarket", worth watching to see the amount of waste.

It is good that there are rules and regulations when it comes to food but rules need to be sensible and some are just pointless.

I prefer homemade produce to the synthetic commercial varieties and like to support local producers where possible so I hope this market takes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Anyone have any contact details for potential stall holders to get in touch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

deisemum wrote: »

At the moment there's a programme on one of the UK's tv channels "The People's Supermarket", worth watching to see the amount of waste.

It is good that there are rules and regulations when it comes to food but rules need to be sensible and some are just pointless.

You would not believe the amount of food that is wasted in a supermarket when out of date, but the same again is wasted by people damaging food.

Well I run a baking stall myself! There are two of us doing sweets/cupcakes (I do loads of american style cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc). No breads as of yet, though.

You can look them up and contact Fran/Amy through facebook (search 'the market waterford') or the best thing to do is come down between 11am-4pm and talk to her.

As far as home cooking/baking-- its not nearly as scary as the info you'd find online sounds. All you have to do is register with the HSE. As a side effect they will come down and have a peek at your kitchen. There are only a few little things you need to do (have antibacterial soap, lots of space, no cats walking around on top of the bread dough or dogs licking the spoons, sealed containers for ingredients-- common sense stuff) if you are in the low - risk categories (which goes for most things, unless you are a butcher).

Again, if you pop down to the market all the info including what you need to do for health and safety is there.

Times like these it'd be nice to get a community of traders together. I think I spend most of the money I make on everyone else's things!

• Advertisement

Wow, that's interesting to hear, are there many home baking stalls?

Not meaning to pry or be nosey, but is it working out well for you? Financially I mean? Is it worthwhile? I know it's not gonna be a huge turnover, but are you covering your costs? Of ingredients etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

There is a new indoor market open in the old an post sorting offices. Access from the quay and high street! It's a huge space and they are looking for more stall holders (you get a table, chair, can even go in under a collective insurance).
    Come down today between 11am and 4pm! Food and artisans!

Sincerely hope the market is a success , but looking at the pictures on Facebook (especially the ones taken from the Quay) "The Market" looks like a place you would go if you wanted to get mugged (reminds me of a scene from "Goodfellas").

Understand money may be tight and there mightn't be a whole lot that could be done about the outside appearence , but I think it would be better if your advertising board had bright colourful pictures of the produce on offer and the facebook pictures were taken on a sunnier day.

I can't believe they have made the facebook accessable only to registered users, guys I'm availible for marketing and I'm cheap! :D

how to do it

In fairness they have renovated a very large building that was literally falling in on itself. They've had a lot more work to do than worry about the aesthetics. It's super early days and they haven't properly launched yet. She's waiting on some funding that comes through in March for ads, signage, etc. There are quite a number of artists involved so I imagine that some colorful decor is on the way.

Financially I always cover my costs, but I've been running a stall for a long time now and I do a couple markets on the weekend and do cakes to order, etc. There's one other girl who does cupcakes at the moment, and I do cookies, cupcakes, brownies, etc. I get the impression there are a lot more food producers interested in getting involved around march but I'm not sure what they make.

Are people from the Market that used to be in Jenkins Lane/Georges Street area involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Good luck to everyone involved & I hope its a great success. Waterford needs an outlet like this.

This market was running as the Soma Garden Market during last summer, beside the SOMA art galleries.

Come down to the market this Saturday! We had an amazing turn out on St. Patrick's Day with plenty of foot traffic coming in off the quays so we'd love to see more faces down this week. Entrance from high street and the quay next to the post office. Come have a look, have a cup of tea/coffee and a delicious baked treat!

Advertisement