Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup 5th Round - Man United v Crawley Town - KO 17:15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This match proves:

Fabio - not united class
    Anderson - Over-rated
    Carrick -poor
    Gibson - Terrible
    Chico - tad over-rated
    Bebe - ****
    Obertan - Extremely ****

Fabio was grand and has a big future.

You can't judge Anderson on that half.

Gibson was very good in the 1st, so hardly terrible.

The rest....meh, fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

This match proves:

Fabio - not united class

He has barely played 10 full games so cant make a judgement on his performances really. Although his fitness levels are a real concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

flahavaj wrote: »
    This thread is gonna be some laugh. Sell them all, we have the Academy Side.
    Pogba>Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im ****ing livid here by that embarrassing display by utd, some of those players shouldnt be near the team.

Gibson I thought had a good 1st half, some nice balls but of course in the 2nd half he retuns to his good old self, being rubbish and not good enough for utd.

Obertan again has been crap, I dont think iv ever seen a good game by obertan. He's the Bellion of this utd team, all pace and nothing else.

Bebe. I can understand some posters defending him because of what league he came from but the times iv seen him he has never impressed me. I blame saf for cutting his golden locks and lost his power

Chico. Im a huge chico fan but I think its starting to look like he's more of a super sub at the present time.

Rooney. Was a shambles when he came on tbh. Gave the way countless times and a silly card incident. Saf may say that Rooney is back (somthing along those lines)just to give Rooney's confidence up but he hasnt gotten near to last early season's displays and im starting to think he will never will :(

Some of those are our fringe players and none of them are good enough to wear the shirt

Now I thought the likes of Wes, oshea and fabio are the only ones that could lift their heads high after the match.

Im just hoping beyond hope fergie has finally seen the light and get rid of the bloody deadwood and **** off with the 443 crap

Now concerning Crawley I thought they were great tonight and out played us in the 2nd half and I honestly think they deserved a replay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Delighted my home club put in a great performance against a team like manure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fair play Crawley, I know they've spent a fortune by non league standards but still some achievement.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

OK so lets look at the players you've named.

Who from the youith team would you have played on the wings instead of Obertan and Bebe.

And you're honestly saying Tunnicliffe or Pogba will be a better option in the latter stages of the CL and the games that'll decide the PL than Ando or Fletcher? Ah c'mon.

Not saying that they would be at all, but you won't know until they've been given a shot in the senior side, even if it's a game like today.

But I'd have rather seen Fabio on the left wing over Obertan.I've no problem with Bebe being given a shot.Not much of a problem with Obertan either(but I dont think he'll be an United player).

I still think that one of the younger players should be in ahead of Anderson,Carrick or Gibson today. Great chance to play one of them with 2 more senior players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Delighted my home club put in a great performance against a team like manure.
    things like this should be an automatic perma-ban imo :rolleyes: childish to the extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Liam O wrote: »
    things like this should be an automatic perma-ban imo :rolleyes: childish to the extreme

Same as people saying chelski and lots of people on here do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Headshot wrote: »
    Im ****ing livid here by that embarrassing display by utd, some of those players shouldnt be near the team.

Gibson I thought had a good 1st half, some nice balls but of course in the 2nd half he retuns to his good old self, being rubbish and not good enough for utd.

Obertan again has been crap, I dont think iv ever seen a good game by obertan. He's the Bellion of this utd team, all pace and nothing else.

Bebe. I can understand some posters defending him because of what league he came from but the times iv seen him he has never impressed me. I blame saf for cutting his golden locks and lost his power

Chico. Im a huge chico fan but I think its starting to look like he's more of a super sub at the present time.

Rooney. Was a shambles when he came on tbh. Gave the way countless times and a silly card incident. Saf may say that Rooney is back (somthing along those lines)just to give Rooney's confidence up but he hasnt gotten near to last early season's displays and im starting to think he will never will :(

Some of those are our fringe players and none of them are good enough to wear the shirt

Now I thought the likes of Wes, oshea and fabio are the only ones that could lift their heads high after the match.

Im just hoping beyond hope fergie has finally seen the light and get rid of the bloody deadwood and **** off with the 443 crap

Now concerning Crawley I thought they were great tonight and out played us in the 2nd half and I honestly think they deserved a replay

For the third time I'll ask what team you'd have played?

titan18 wrote: »
    Not saying that they would be at all, but you won't know until they've been given a shot in the senior side, even if it's a game like today.

But I'd have rather seen Fabio on the left wing over Obertan.I've no problem with Bebe being given a shot.Not much of a problem with Obertan either(but I dont think he'll be an United player).

I still think that one of the younger players should be in ahead of Anderson,Carrick or Gibson today. Great chance to play one of them with 2 more senior players.

Who'd you have played at LB? The likes of Pogba will get their chance but IMO they're not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Liam O wrote: »

sorry.

Johner wrote: »

is that an insult to chelsea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Johner wrote: »

I've often used Chelski when referring to Chelsea, but never once considered that it was seen as an insult. Is it really? I only ever though it was because of Abramovic and it was ever so slightly funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Chico - tad over-rated

I thought Chico was decent considering how the players around him performed, he was feeding off scraps and made better attempts to beat players/get crosses in than most. I thought he made some good runs too but he should have done better with the chance Gibson set up for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Trickier than the last round anyway

Harsh on Southampton! Harsh!!

Did saf have his after the match interview yet, what was said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

smokedeels wrote: »
    I thought Chico was decent considering how the players around him performed, he was feeding off scraps and made better attempts to beat players/get crosses in than most. I thought he made some good runs too but he should have done better with the chance Gibson set up for him.

I really like him but he's just not at the level that most of the fans think he is!

Who'd you have played at LB? The likes of Pogba will get their chance but IMO they're not ready yet.

Might as well just list out the team I'd play.

Lindegaard

Rafael---Brown---Smalling---O'Shea

Bebe---Anderson/Carrick---Pogba---Fabio

King---Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love the way supporters of other clubs love to knock United calling us manure and the like.

Jesus I hate to see what they call United if we actually won nothing for last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Bad performance but I still think the team selection was right. This was a game which in all truth is not near our main priority. Fair enough the performance was bad. But a result is a result. Some major over-reactions going on.

One performance isn't going to determine my opinion on these kids' potential.

Might as well just list out the team I'd play.

Lindegaard

Rafael---Brown---Smalling---O'Shea

Bebe---Anderson/Carrick---Pogba---Fabio

King---Hernandez

Pogba is 17. It's not fair on him to throw him in there. Especially in a game like this.

Le King wrote: »
    Bad performance but I still think the team selection was right. This was a game which in all truth is not near our main priority. Fair enough the performance was bad. But a result is a result. Some major over-reactions going on.

One performance isn't going to determine my opinion on these kids' potential.

King

Did you watch the west ham match in the CC or the CC competition in total?

I think everyone needs to relax, no one will remember this game in a couple of weeks. Irs practically meaningless in the greater scheme of things once the result goes OK.

Pogba is 17. It's not fair on him to throw him in there. Especially in a game like this.

Why not? He doesn't look like a bad player, and if he was playing at Arsenal, there's a chance he'd have played already. You're putting him alongside an experienced midfielder.

If it's not Pogba, you can put in Tunnicliffe, or even Morrison in a 4-3-3, with Anderson and Carrick behind him. There's no reason why any of them aren't good enough to play against Crawley.

Why not? He doesn't look like a bad player, and if he was playing at Arsenal, there's a chance he'd have played already.

Well then go support Arsenal if you like how they play their kids at 17.

The rest of us will stick to support United, who have actually won a trophy in the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I thought the team was spot on. 4 important away games over the next 2 weeks meant that it would have been silly to risk more first teamers. But picking completely untested youth team players would have been madness. A battle hardened team of limited pros would have loved to come against guys making their debut at Old Trafford. Much better off picking the team he did pick.

I have high hopes for Pogba et al, but some people talk about youth team players as if they are already the finished articles. Throwing them in to an FA Cup tie could be detrimental to their long term prospects if it went badly.

Why not? He doesn't look like a bad player, and if he was playing at Arsenal, there's a chance he'd have played already. You're putting him alongside an experienced midfielder.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle. What Arsenal do is irrelevant tbf.
    If it's not Pogba, you can put in Tunnicliffe, or even Morrison in a 4-3-3, with Anderson and Carrick behind him. There's no reason why any of them aren't good enough to play against Crawley.

Gibson needed a game to keep him ticking over, he could be needed yet in the run-in. You could do serious harm to a young lad like Pogba throwing him in when he's not ready physically, he also needs to get an awful lot better at things like desision making etc, the simple things you need at this level. People seem to constantly ihnore the fact that he's only just established himself at reserve level. Ye are jumping the gun bigtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This is a bit ridiculous. I think Ferguson has proved he knows when is the right time to blood a young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think everyone needs to relax, no one will remember this game in a couple of weeks. Irs practically meaningless in the greater scheme of things once the result goes OK.

Exactly,while we didn't play well,we won,through to the next round.
    We have some serious away games coming and i think getting through today whatever way we could have was acceptable to me..

• Advertisement

King

Did you watch the west ham match in the CC or the CC competition in total?

I did. But a team full of inexperience isn't going to bang together and put in a performance. Players need time together. The bad ones are weeded out and the good players are kept and played alongside players who are of a much better quality.

Maybe I was the only one expecting a result like this.

I did. But a team full of inexperience isn't going to bang together and put in a performance. Players need time together. The bad ones are weeded out and the good players are kept and played alongside players who are of a much better quality.

I knew it'd be a struggle and a 1-0 or 2-0. Of more importance is keeping the squad ticking over and giving games to lads who might be needed later in the season, whule resting first teamers - not throwing in kids who aren't ready for senior football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    The rest of us will stick to support United, who have actually won a trophy in the last 5 years.

Enjoy using that line, gonna be outdated by next Sunday kid

Such arrogance.

I'll just add the words "of any importance" if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'll just add the words "of any importance" if that's the case.

ya you do that,

great performance today btw, more of the same please

I can understand your first point about inexperience but I dont buy it. Majority of these players have played numerous times together )cc and CL)and dont have any excuse to put in that abomination we saw tonight. Im worried king, im worried about this weeded out stuff. Gibson for one has been at utd since 2008 (1st appearance in epl) he certainly hasnt been weeded out.

I called the score at the start once I saw the team.

Funny thing is I dont give a **** about the FA cup but I do care about our performances from these fringe players that are suppose to go into our team to rest the good players, well they wont be going near the 1st team fulltop.

ya you do that,

great performance today btw, more of the same please

You want us to keep winning?

Happy to oblige, it's what we do best kid.

We just love those shiny trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Was today the same team that started against West Ham in the Carling cup? Bar PIG

• Advertisement

Well then go support Arsenal if you like how they play their kids at 17.

Considering our success has been largely because of guys like Scholes and Giggs, who came through from the youths, do you not think it's about time,now that they're on our way out, we give the current youngsters a chance.

It should be clear to everyone that our midfield isn't good enough,and we might not have the money to fix it. Best chance we have is playing guys like Pogba,Morrison etc, and hoping they're good enough.

This is the FA Cup,I don't care about it.Some do, but the CL and PL are more important to everyone. We brought on Rooney at HT, if he got injured, we have much less of a chance.

Up front, we're literally an injury away from guys like King having to play. Owen is apparently out again(not sure how long), Welbeck and Macheda are on loan. So, if Berbatov,Rooney or Hernandez get injured, King is at least on the bench.

So, why not play him today?

Obviously,it's a different problem in midfield, with most of them being different shades of average, and Scholes not being able to play every game. I don't know about anyone else, but some of them shouldn't (and hopefully won't) have a future at United. As said above, we mightn't be able to spend our way out of it (that's a different argument of course), so is it not worth seeing if the youngsters are able? Obviously, the one game won't tell much, but it's better than nothing.

There are several possibilities that could have happened today. We could have played the youngsters and they're not good enough, at which point we go out. They're good enough and we win, and we all get really happy that we might have a midfield for years, or what actually happened, and we play our second-string who aren't good enough, and we scrape through.Of course, there are worse options, like an injury to someone like Rooney or Hernandez, or a replay.

I'll take the youngsters option out of the above.

RasTa wrote: »
    Was today the same team that started against West Ham in the Carling cup? Bar PIG

T. Kuszczak
    22 J. O'Shea
    23 J. Evans
    20 Fábio
    12 C. Smalling
    24 D. Fletcher
    11 R. Giggs
    8 Anderson
    26 G. Obertan
    14 J. Hernández
    33 Bebé

team that played against west ham

So the majority from the tonight played in it bar the awesome gibson of course

I can understand your first point about inexperience but I dont buy it. Majority of these players have played numerous times together )cc and CL)and dont have any excuse to put in that abomination we saw tonight. Im worried king, im worried about this weeded out stuff. Gibson for one has been at utd since 2008 (1st appearance in epl) he certainly hasnt been weeded out.

I called the score at the start once I saw the team.

Funny thing is I dont give a **** about the FA cup but I do care about our performances from these fringe players that are suppose to go into our team to rest the good players, well they wont be going near the 1st team fulltop.

People very much need to realise that such players are very much fringe players, or young guys who are still developing.

If you take this as Utd's first team

VDS

Raf
    Rio---Vidic---Evra

Nani---Scholes---Fletcher-Giggs

Rooney----Berba----

And this as the 2nd string

Lindegaard

Brown----Smalling---Evans---JOS

Valencia----Carrick--Ando----Park

Chico---Owen

The you see that the likes of Bebe, Obertan, Fabio, Gibson, are quite some way from the first team and can still be classed as works in progress. Gibson I agree probably is a goner in the Summer, but the rest are worth perisiting with and are worth giving games to in such matches to aid their development and keep them sharp in the ecent of an injury crisis. Its also important to keep Gibson in and out of the team as we may very well need him later in the season if we get a few injuries.

But nor is it necessary to panic too much if these guys turn out to be duds or never make it. They're not integral to the squad as the above 2 teams indicate, especially when better players like Clev and Welback will be coming back next year. The squad is better and deeper than its ever been really, I don't understand all the panic over a nothing game really that'll be forgotten in a few weeks.

Considering our success has been largely because of guys like Scholes and Giggs, who came through from the youths, do you not think it's about time,now that they're on our way out, we give the current youngsters a chance.

It should be clear to everyone that our midfield isn't good enough,and we might not have the money to fix it. Best chance we have is playing guys like Pogba,Morrison etc, and hoping they're good enough.

This is the FA Cup,I don't care about it.Some do, but the CL and PL are more important to everyone. We brought on Rooney at HT, if he got injured, we have much less of a chance.

Up front, we're literally an injury away from guys like King having to play. Owen is apparently out again(not sure how long), Welbeck and Macheda are on loan. So, if Berbatov,Rooney or Hernandez get injured, King is at least on the bench.

Obviously,it's a different problem in midfield, with most of them being different shades of average, and Scholes not being able to play every game. I don't know about anyone else, but some of them shouldn't (and hopefully won't) have a future at United. As said above, we mightn't be able to spend our way out of it (that's a different argument of course), so is it not worth seeing if the youngsters are able? Obviously, the one game won't tell much, but it's better than nothing.

There are several possibilities that could have happened today. We could have played the youngsters and they're not good enough, at which point we go out. They're good enough and we win, and we all get really happy that we might have a midfield for years, or what actually happened, and we play our second-string who aren't good enough, and we scrape through.Of course, there are worse options, like an injury to someone like Rooney or Hernandez, or a replay.

The fact that'd you'd make a long term judgement on 17 year olds based on one game in the FA cup means your argument is a bit worthless tbh.

It wasn't even a second string team, it was a few of the fringe players with a few of the second string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Do people not realise how tough it is for the players to play with one another in a team basis? Fair enough they train with each other but it's not the same as playing matches with one another. Hence why things can break down a lot more.

....and have you ever considered that Sir Alex Ferguson thinks that the likes of Pogba and King just aren't ready for the senior team yet? You're taking it for granted that because they've been successful playing against teams comprised of players under the age of 18 that they're ready to jump into the first team competing with and against fully developed players. I honestly don't think you have gotten your head around that fact. They were on the bench in the event of the game being a walk in the park and some experience of playing in front of the OT crowd in a senior game. That didn't happen, so there was no benefit of bringing them on when we had better options.

Seriously, transfer muppetry is on one thing, but now their seems to be a new breed of kid muppetry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I've often used Chelski when referring to Chelsea, but never once considered that it was seen as an insult. Is it really? I only ever though it was because of Abramovic and it was ever so slightly funny.

Must check the charter to see what it says about that sort of thing..

The fact that'd you'd make a long term judgement on 17 year olds based on one game in the FA cup means your argument is a bit worthless tbh.

It wasn't even a second string team, it was a few of the fringe players with a few of the second string.

There you go.

It's as close to a 2nd string team as you'll get taking into account injuries.

....and have you ever considered that Sir Alex Ferguson thinks that the likes of Pogba and King just aren't ready for the senior team yet? You're taking it for granted that because they've been successful playing against teams comprised of players under the age of 18 that they're ready to jump into the first team competing with and against fully developed players. I honestly don't think you have gotten your head around that fact. They were on the bench in the event of the game being a walk in the park and some experience of playing in front of the OT crowd in a senior game. That didn't happen, so there was no benefit of bringing them on when we had better options.

Seriously, transfer muppetry is on one thing, but now their seems to be a new breed of kid muppetry.

Youth Team Muppetry I've been calling it Tom lad. Its even worse than the transfer muppetry in a way. Headshot won't even talk to me now over it.:(

There you go.

It's as close to a 2nd string team as you'll get taking into account injuries.

Even if injured guys had been available I still think Bebe, Obertan and Gibbo would have played which seem to be the guys most people are p*ssing and moaning about.

Either way, Fergie was right to ignore his inner muppet.

Must check the charter to see what it says about that sort of thing..

Thanks for that. Throw on the kettle there while you're being all irrelevant and silly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement