Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup 5th Round - Man United v Crawley Town - KO 17:15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    This post proves

Knee jerk reactions - hilariously pathetic

Says the guy who supports united and the Patriots - Hilariously pathetic glory hunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

....and have you ever considered that Sir Alex Ferguson thinks that the likes of Pogba and King just aren't ready for the senior team yet? You're taking it for granted that because they've been successful playing against teams comprised of players under the age of 18 that they're ready to jump into the first team competing with and against fully developed players. I honestly don't think you have gotten your head around that fact. They were on the bench in the event of the game being a walk in the park and some experience of playing in front of the OT crowd in a senior game. That didn't happen, so there was no benefit of bringing them on when we had better options.

Seriously, transfer muppetry is on one thing, but now their seems to be a new breed of kid muppetry.

Saf keeps playing the players that were dreadful in the CC and they arent getting any better from what iv seen. I know where Titan is coming from and theres no need for the Kid muppetry thing either. You'll never know if the young players such as king etc cant take this stage yet if you dont give them this chance. Personally I thought tonight would of been perfect for them against a conference team.

Also why should these players keep getting chances when they have been dreadful? I also wouldnt mind seeing some youngsters out there tonight instead of the deadwood that just wont **** off. The point of a fringe player is to come in, in times of need and do a job in the 1st team, do you see any player besides the establish players like brown etc making an impact in the 1st team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Says the guy who supports united and the Patriots - Hilariously pathetic glory hunting

*tries to give a toss about Oranage's opinion*

Nope sorry, not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

He doesn't support d pats. He's a big giants fan who has man crush on Tom Brady.

*Awaits TB's witty responce*

Edit: You have just been destroyed

Le King wrote: »
    He doesn't support d pats. He's a big giants fan who has man crush on Tom Brady.

*Awaits TB's witty responce*

Nothing witty to offer, you're spot on. I only support United because Cristiano Ronaldo played for them, and only support the Pats because Tom Brady plays for them.

Notice the pattern - I only support teams with really, really, really, really, really good looking talismen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

flahavaj wrote: »
    Youth Team Muppetry I've been calling it Tom lad. Its even worse than the transfer muppetry in a way. Headshot won't even talk to me now over it.:(

And if they don't perform they'll be written off at 18!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Headshot wrote: »
    Saf keeps playing the players that were dreadful in the CC and they arent getting any better from what iv seen. I know where Titan is coming from and theres no need for the Kid muppetry thing either. You'll never know if the young players such as king etc cant take this stage yet if you dont give them this chance. Personally I thought tonight would of been perfect for them against a conference team.

Also why should these players keep getting chances when they have been dreadful? I also wouldnt mind seeing some youngsters out there tonight instead of the deadwood that just wont **** off. The point of a fringe player is to come in, in times of need and do a job in the 1st team, do you see any player besides the establish players like brown etc making an impact in the 1st team?

Will somebody ask HS what team he'd have played as he doesn't appear to be talking to me anymore? I've asked him 4 times now like.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Headshot,

Who do you think Crawley should have started with?

adox wrote: »
    Headshot,

Who do you think Crawley should have started with?

Im sorry adox I dont know any crawley players :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Will somebody ask HS what team he'd have played as he doesn't appear to be talking to me anymore? I've asked him 4 times now like.:pac:

I'd say he'd have went with

Rafael
    Gill
    Smalling
    Fabio

Pogba
    Petrucci
    Morrisson

Van Velzen
    Chicarito
    Kai Rooney

No keeper, cos these lads are ready and Crawley are shíte

:pac:

Sorry headshot:P

• Advertisement

Kai has a great future and shouldve started tonight

being serious im happy you asked 15

I would of gone with

Dane
    Raf---Oshea----Brown---fabio
    bebe----carrick----pobga/Tunnicliffe obertan
    chico
    king

Plenty of youth and experience in that team and there's always the sub bench if things go bad which was needed with Rooney tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would of gone with

Dane
    chico
    king

Plenty of youth and experience in that team and there's always the sub bench if things go bad which was needed with Rooney tonight
    Bebe, Obertan and Carrick were bad enough without putting Pogba or Tunnicliffe beside them.

Liam O wrote: »
    Bebe, Obertan and Carrick were bad enough without putting Pogba or Tunnicliffe beside them.

:eek:

Your not the Liam I know, what have you done with the real Liam, you fiend

I would of gone with

Dane
    chico
    king

Playing one of the kids in a 4-4-2 in midfield is just waytoo much of a risk IMO, especially whej you're opnly doing it to acomodate a similarly inexperienced lad like King.Too much of a danger of him getting physically out-muscled. If you put a gun to my head and said I had to play Pogba it'd be with two others in CM to mind him.

:eek:

Your not the Liam I know, what have you done with the real Liam, you fiend
    I can admit when they play bad, Gibson had a crap second half for instance, it's unfair criticism of players over other players for no reason that I have a problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Playing one of the kids in a 4-4-2 in midfield is just waytoo much of a risk IMO, especially whej you're opnly doing it to acomodate a similarly inexperienced lad like King.Too much of a danger of him getting physically out-muscled. If you put a gun to my head and said I had to play Pogba it'd be with two others in CM to mind him.

If United played the kids and were beaten it would be a huge embarrassment and everyone would be calling for Fergies head and asking why he was playing kids when he had squad players to call on. He has a squad who he tries to give gametime to so they can impress enough to get into the first team. Why give those spots to kids who are 2 or 3 years at least away from being able to play at a high level? The focus is to get through to the next round, not to simply give kids who've played well in some youth games a day out. They're great prospects for the future sure, but that doesn't mean they need to be put in potential banana skin games. As someone else said, if Utd were 5 up, fair enough give them a run out, but Crawley are a half decent side who would adequately compete in League 2, so unnecessary risks are just that, unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who do you support??

Who do you support??

Obscure United or Indie Rovers I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

United 2nd string are :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nothing witty to offer, you're spot on. I only support United because Cristiano Ronaldo played for them, and only support the Pats because Tom Brady plays for them.

Notice the pattern - I only support teams with really, really, really, really, really good looking talismen.

Tom Brady is hardly what I call good looking :pac:

BERBA wrote: »

I know tell me about it

we'll be paying spurs a visit more than ever now

BERBA wrote: »

Probbaly 6 players short of our 2nd string team tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

cartoon-bang-head-jpg.gif?w=200&h=200

Very underwhelming performance from United.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Tom Brady is hardly what I call good looking :pac:

Post reported. Nobody likes a liar. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Crawley will go home thinking they could of won that if not for awful defending from a corner.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Crawley will go home thinking they could of won that if not for awful defending from a corner.

Then they'd have drawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Then they'd have drawn.
    If they didn't concede from the corner..

But really, Bebe and Obertan. Two laughable players. Truly awful.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If they didn't concede from the corner..

But really, Bebe and Obertan. Two laughable players. Truly awful.

^^^^^^^^

Better at being not unfunny in AH tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Philip Seymour Hoffman?

He looks nothing like him. Don't insult one of the best actors on the planet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Philip Seymour Hoffman?

He looks nothing like him. Don't insult one of the best actors on the planet!

Hoffman is a legend of a guy alright, dont think he ever done a $hit film :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd say Crawley have had more difficult and intimidating games in the Conference, they'll be gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Hoffman is a legend of a guy alright, dont think he ever done a $hit film :)
    Meet the fockers isn't great.

bradlente wrote: »
    Meet the fockers isn't great.
    good thing he didn't do that then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Le King wrote: »
    Pogba is 17. It's not fair on him to throw him in there. Especially in a game like this.

A game like this - what actually do you mean by this? How is it not fair to give a young player a chance against a team who lie 4 divisions below Utd ? Get a grip man , if you cant blood a player at home vs a Conference team when exactly do you want to phase them in?
    Well then go support Arsenal if you like how they play their kids at 17.

The rest of us will stick to support United, who have actually won a trophy in the last 5 years.

The guy can still support Utd while having the opinion that SAF could take a leaf or two from Wengers book by throwing a few youth team players into games like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hoki wrote: »
    The guy can still support Utd while having the opinion that SAF could take a leaf or two from Wengers book by throwing a few youth team players into games like these.

But you win nothing with kids. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Amidst all the arguments here, I think it should be noted that everything was going pretty well until Anderson went off at half time. The first half performance was not fantastic, but they were still playing decently, creating chances and generally controlling the game (as they should).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Amidst all the arguments here, I think it should be noted that everything was going pretty well until Anderson went off at half time. The first half performance was not fantastic, but they were still playing decently, creating chances and generally controlling the game (as they should).

Interesting. I only saw the second half and that was truly abysmal obviously. The defence did alright but the midfield should be ashamed of themselves.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Loser talk to be honest.

I would of gone with

Dane
    chico
    king

Headshot that team would have gotten whopped yesterday. The lack of experience shown by Bebe and obertan was glaring and you'd have complimented it with players from - not just the reserves but the academy?

I'm all for youth but you've talked some shi-te about this over the last 2 days. If the three on the bench and Rav and maybe James get CC time next season and go out on loan that's progress, and if they keep going it's the season after next i'd like to see them breaking through.

Barring a massive leap in development.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Interesting. I only saw the second half and that was truly abysmal obviously. The defence did alright but the midfield should be ashamed of themselves.

Truly truly awful game, D-ron was possibly the best for us out of the midfield. I also think alot of it could be to do with the wingers not having a clue what to do on and off the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

lordgoat wrote: »
    Loser talk to be honest.

Headshot that team would have gotten whopped yesterday. The lack of experience shown by Bebe and obertan was glaring and you'd have complimented it with players from - not just the reserves but the academy?

I'm all for youth but you've talked some shi-te about this over the last 2 days. If the three on the bench and Rav and maybe James get CC time next season and go out on loan that's progress, and if they keep going it's the season after next i'd like to see them breaking through.

Barring a massive leap in development.

Truly truly awful game, D-ron was possibly the best for us out of the midfield. I also think alot of it could be to do with the wingers not having a clue what to do on and off the ball.

That could be a real problem going forward. lol.

These sort of games are usually poor, United on a hiding to nothing. Bebe and Obertan, would struggle in the conference in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Hoki wrote: »
    A game like this - what actually do you mean by this? How is it not fair to give a young player a chance against a team who lie 4 divisions below Utd ? Get a grip man , if you cant blood a player at home vs a Conference team when exactly do you want to phase them in?

When.

The.

Player.

Is.

Ready.

Just because a game seems convenient you don't throw in players that haven't played that much at reserve level. Jesus like. Have you seen Pogba? He'a a bag of bones. He bosses games against kids his own age, that doesn't mean he's ready to play against senior players and especially in a two man midfield like has been suggested on here.

At an absolute stretch I'd have been OK with maybe King getting a game up front with Chico. But at most you blood these kids one at a time in a team surrounded by experienced pros. And its worth repeating that King's loan stint at Preston was pretty underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What an absolute rubbish game. Utd's second team is clearly very poor. Hernandez was brutal as was Bebe, Obertan, Fabio, basically all the fringe players though none played worse than the knacker Rooney when he came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Warper wrote: »
    What an absolute rubbish game. Utd's second team is clearly very poor. Hernandez was brutal as was Bebe, Obertan, Fabio, basically all the fringe players though none played worse than the knacker Rooney when he came on.

I don't remember fabio doing much wrong , got forward a lot too . Calling Rooney a knacker ? That's childish bet you were loving him last season weren't ya ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Go away....

Pointless comment clearly blinded by some kind of hatred..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

lordgoat wrote: »

Anderson was definitely the best in midfield. Gibson hit some nice passes in the first half, but Anderson kept them ticking over. The difference was clear in the second half when it was Gibson/Carrick in midfield. Carrick was on one of his off days and Gibson just can't play in a central midfield role. Gibson has to be pushed up near a striker to be effective and making the passes he did in the first half.

Anyway as regards the wider debate going on here, over reactions are par for the norm on here but this is a particularly ridiculous reaction from some people. Sure they played badly, but throwing in completely unproven and unready academy kids would be suicide. If Morrison etc had played yesterday and drew or lost, they could have suffered greatly. Then there would be people on here talking about how rubbish the academy kids are and that a more experienced team should have played.

I'm also not overly worried about the poor performances from certain players yesterday. Obertan and Bebe are unlikely to ever be regulars, so them being clueless is not that much of an issue. If United had been able to select Valencia and Park (i.e arguably their second choice wide men), I think there would have been a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Another Warper special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The fact that United scraped by 1-0 shows that the second string team were "just enough" to get through. Anyone who thinks the academy players should have played purely because we were playing a lesser team is deluded.

Getting through to the next round is priority, not blooding new players. Some of these guys are still years away from first team football so what benefit is there of throwing them in in a potential banana skin?

Get some of the fringe players game time, give them a chance to impress thats the priority, why bypass them to give an 18 year old a day out? Playing well won't get them into the first team (look at players who played well in friendlies and cup games like Cleverley and Welbeck who played well but still got loaned out), playing badly will be a detriment to their progress, and getting knocked out would be a disaster. Cup games are perfect for players in the first team squad who won't be starting anytime soon to actually get a run out that means something. It's their chance to impress, theyre in the first team because they're expected to be good enough to step up if needed so games like this are ideal for them to show off (or prove themselves a stinker).

There is no long term benefit to blooding new players against Crawley, short of giving some kids a day out. I'd much rather win the cup and play all the fringe players, give them a chance to impress then be knocked out in the 5th round because youth players were given some experience.

Just enough against a conference team

****ing hell you have very low standards

These fringe players have never impressed that's the thing, when has bebe,gibson and obertan ever bloody impressed

I can totally understand why the likes of oshea, wes and chico got games but the other players, not a ****ing hope

Bebe's only been at United 6 months and was playing Division 3 football last season. For a fella who's all about geiving young players a chance your dismissal of him in such a short space of time is the ultimate in hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

Bebe's only been at United 6 months and was playing Division 3 football last season. For a fella who's all about geiving young players a chance your dismissal of him in such a short space of time is the ultimate in hypocrisy.

He has never shown me any thing that stands out tbh, I did say in this thread that I understand where posters are coming from defending bebe but when you pay 7m for a player and could of gotten him for free, you'd want to be showing me somthing in these matches

Advertisement