Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB and Visa Debit Card

Options
  • 19-02-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I bank with AIB and work with foreign people they can't understand how we dont have visa debit cards, could someone explain what exactly it is, dont want to show my ignorance to work mates, I think only ulster bank do them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Visa debit works exactly like a Visa Credit or Mastercard Credit card, the only difference being you can only spend what you have on your card.

Laser is only accepted on a limited amount of sites online, wherease Visa debit is accepeted everywhere on the net. So Visa debit is far more versatile.

Currently Ulster bank offer Visa debit cards with their current accounts and offer free banking too.

Bank of Ireland are switching to Visa debit soon but we all know the hoops customers will have to jump through to get free banking from them from now on! :rolleyes:

Permanent TSB also offer Visa Debit but I coudlnt tell you if they do free banking or not.

TBH Im surprised AIB dont offer Visa Debit as all the others have switched over!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Visa debit works exactly like a Visa Credit or Mastercard Credit card, the only difference being you can only spend what you have on your card.

Laser is only accepted on a limited amount of sites online, wherease Visa debit is accepeted everywhere on the net. So Visa debit is far more versatile.

Currently Ulster bank offer Visa debit cards with their current accounts and offer free banking too.

Bank of Ireland are switching to Visa debit soon but we all know the hoops customers will have to jump through to get free banking from them from now on! :rolleyes:

Permanent TSB also offer Visa Debit but I coudlnt tell you if they do free banking or not.

TBH Im surprised AIB dont offer Visa Debit as all the others have switched over!

Thanks for that, I have enquired from AIB they have no plans at the moment for visa debit, by sounds of it it looks like a good card, might have to switch to ulster!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Visa debit works exactly like a Visa Credit or

PTSB provides a free current account if you maintain an average of €1k.

One thing to check out with Visa debit cards is the liability for fraudulent use. When they were introduced in the US, the standard maximum $50 liability limit on the owner for normal Visa cards did not apply for debit cards. You were in fact liable up to the full amount in your account. Not sure if that is the case here, but I work on the assumption that it is. I have one from PTSB, but I would never use it for an online purchase for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Stugots wrote: »
    PTSB provides a free current account if you maintain an average of €1k.

One thing to check out with Visa debit cards is the liability for fraudulent use. When they were introduced in the US, the standard maximum $50 liability limit on the owner for normal Visa cards did not apply for debit cards. You were in fact liable up to the full amount in your account. Not sure if that is the case here, but I work on the assumption that it is. I have one from PTSB, but I would never use it for an online purchase for this reason.

Im not sure thats right. I think you are/were protected provided you disclosed the fraudulent activity within 48 hours. After that period, a credit card dispute can be exausted right to the very end of the process and still only incur the $50 liability, whereas with a debit card (after the 48hrs) it went up to $500 within 60 days and unlimited thereafter.

If you get into the habit of checking your account regularly then there shouldnt be a problem, if you dont you are just asking for trouble. I know with ulster banks debit card there is the option of a password allocated for online purchases for further security, maybe this comes with ptsb also?. Anyway, ive been using a visa debit for 17 ish years now, online, over the phone, literally everywhere, never had an issue. The only issue ive encountered is at the merchants terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

From http://www.essortment.com/combatting-debit-card-fraud-17642.html

"Also, debit cards do not have the same level of legal protection as credit cards. Federal law limits your liability as a credit card user for fraud to $50. You also have the right to dispute charges and the right to withhold payment temporarily for fraudulent charges. However, this law does not apply to debit cards. Some banks may offer fraud protection on your debit card, however, so be sure to ask about it."

I guess this applies to US law. Don't know what the law is here. I too have used debit visa cards for a long time, both here and the US, without any previous incident.

The reason I was looking through this forum is because I had an incident with my Visa credit card last week. PTSB noted some unusual transactions and contacted me very quickly. Within the 3-4 hours from the first transacation to when they contacted me, more than €1300 had been charged to my card. Most of the charges were removed from my account immediately, but some remain on there until the paperwork goes through confirming that I have identified them as fraudulent. If that was a debit card, my account could have been cleared out and mortgage and other standing orders/direct debits would have bounced until I could put more money in to cover them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Stugots wrote: »
    From http://www.essortment.com/combatting-debit-card-fraud-17642.html

"Also, debit cards do not have the same level of legal protection as credit cards. Federal law limits your liability as a credit card user for fraud to $50. You also have the right to dispute charges and the right to withhold payment temporarily for fraudulent charges. However, this law does not apply to debit cards. Some banks may offer fraud protection on your debit card, however, so be sure to ask about it."

I guess this applies to US law. Don't know what the law is here. I too have used debit visa cards for a long time, both here and the US, without any previous incident.

The reason I was looking through this forum is because I had an incident with my Visa credit card last week. PTSB noted some unusual transactions and contacted me very quickly. Within the 3-4 hours from the first transacation to when they contacted me, more than €1300 had been charged to my card. Most of the charges were removed from my account immediately, but some remain on there until the paperwork goes through confirming that I have identified them as fraudulent. If that was a debit card, my account could have been cleared out and mortgage and other standing orders/direct debits would have bounced until I could put more money in to cover them.

Im not sure thats a great source to take as gospel, might be wrong. Anyway, i did have a look because i wanted to be sure i didnt dream up that info. From the Fed Trade Commission under debit cards.....

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.shtm

"if you report the loss within two business days after you realize your card is missing, you will not be responsible for more than $50 for unauthorized use"

I know what you mean about credit cards. I went out xmas shopping on mine a good few years ago and the bank called me while i was at a checkout. I still maintain my stance with the debit card though, if you check your account every couple of days, online or text alert or whatever you should be fine, like i said, never had an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Would it be possible to rent a car, from a well known company, such as Hertz, in a foreign country using an AIB visa debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally no, they require credit cards.

Advertisement