Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars, RPMs and fuel economy

• 19-02-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭

I am not technically minded when it comes to cars, but could someone explain how it is that one car I drive at 60mph the revs sit at around 1900-2000rpm, yet on another they are at 3000rpm.

I know that one is newer - but why did the older car need the revs to be at 3000rpm at 60mph?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Are they both running on petrol?

One thing I've noticed is, petrols run at higher rpms than diesels, something to do with lower compression ratios,

eg 1.4 petrol @ 100 KMH 3000 RPM tachometer goes to 7500 RPM
    1.9 diesel @ 100 KMH 2000 RPM tachometer goes to 5500 RPM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

it has to do with gear ratio if you were driving at 100k in first gear your engine revs would be very high but if you were driving in fifth your revs would be very low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Have fun:
    http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/e46_gear_ratio_calculator.htm

Gear Ratios is indeed the cause. Large engines typically produce more power leading to lower ratio gears leading to less engine load and longer engine life.
    Diesels have a narrow power band and a limited total RPM range, they will always be at lower RPM at cruise but also at every other position too. Diesels gearing is setup to keep it in its lower power band, it has to be there to make any sort of progress.

Nothing to do with the age of the car, my 18year old BMW is at 2900RPM at 100mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the replies, interesting reading.

The higher rev'ing car is a 2001 1.4 petrol
    The lower one is a 2010 1.6 diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You also need to look at the rpm an engine produces its max bhp and torque. Diesel and Petrol cars are quite different in this regard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement