Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you ever have too many games to play?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I actually had a pretty productive first 6 weeks to the year completing three fairly long games Mass Effect 1+2 and Stalker SOC (To add to Batman AA over Christmas).

Just looking at Steam the unfinished list is getting more manageable (Still a few really long ones in there).

Dragons Age Ultimate Edition
    Borderlands
    Stalker COP
    Fallout NV
    Just Cause 1+2
    FEAR
    DOOM3
    The Witcher

I would be hear all night listing unfinished Xbox game (Unlike the TV I play Xbox on, my PC monitor doesn't have to compete with all the Soaps for screen time :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I actually managed to work through a few lingerers over the last few weeks: AC Brotherhood, Yakuza 3, Stacking and Red Dead Redemption are all ones I managed to finish in the last week or so!

But I still have Dragon Age Origins to start, and barely started copies of Just Cause 2 (I'm happy to ignore that one for a while) and Disgaea 3. Hard Corps is also a pleasant distraction. To add to the frustration, couldn't resist Dead Space 2 on sale, and my copy of Death Smiles arrived in the post today. On a Saturday. Just when I thought I was making some progress :(

Just Cause 2 isn't about getting to the end, I've been playing it for a few months now, and I'd say I'm about a third through it. I just mess around constantly and try find new stuff to do, so don't worry about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Know how ya all feel, currently trying to decide between starting/restarting:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: CoP
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (already platinumed on PS3....but this is on PC so its different)
    The Witcher
    Vampire: The Masquerade (since new computer and no registry kerfuffles)

And thats not the full list of unplayed games I have lazing around and on Steam. Damn sales....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SIBERIA

Yea!! ha ha

I think i have a 'game buying addiction' have a load of games i haven't put in me xbox yet, some are still in the plastic wrappers.. I can never decide what one to play and usually end up playing the same old games .. fifa 11 or ssf4 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i've posted this before but it fits nicely here

065_addict.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah, you can have too many games. As a Steam sale leecher (in a steam sale, if it's not under a tenner - or preferably a fiver - I'm not getting it) I have a list that is waaay too long of games that I haven't played enough. Be it that I haven't completed them, haven't gotten enough really out of them to say I've played them, or just haven't even started yet...

Started, but just haven't gotten around to finishing, but intend to:
    King Arthur
    FEAR + FEAR 2.
    Overlord Complete
    Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    Deus Ex: Invisible War
    X3: Terran Conflict
    Men of War (One bitching hard game that I intend getting into properly at some stage)
    Hearts of Iron III (see Men of War)
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky + Shadow of Chernobyl
    Mirror's Edge

Started, thought they were crap/something wasn't working/just didn't hold my attention, probably won't play again:
    Dead Space (Terrible controls on PC)
    Supreme Commander 2 + Infinite War Battle Pack (Just too much of a giant step away from SupCom 1 for me)
    Morrowind (undoubtedly a great game, but looks so bad now I can't sit through it)
    The Witcher (not freeform enough)
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (ARMA II kicked this to touch)
    Saints Row 2 (Controls on PC are terrible - great fun though)
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (Ugh, just terrible)
    Mass Effect (I've started this twice, and gotten to the ice planet part and just can't bring myself to be interested enough)
    Bioshock (Same as Mass Effect, I just can't get into it properly though it is much more fun than ME)

Haven't even started:
    FlatOut Ultimate Carnage
    Ghost Recon Pack
    Star Wars: KOTOR
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Winterbottom
    Mass Effect 2 (Want to finish the first one really, but it's in the never to be completed list sadly)
    Tropico 3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know how you feel OP. I've an extensive back catalogue to get through but there's always something I spot for cheap and now with Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 imminent, I feel I'll be very very busy for the next while.

I did see Gears Of War 2, Fable 2 and PGR 4 for €15 for all three in Argos....

Must. Stop. Buying. Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

every time there is a Steam sale

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah, you can have too many games. As a Steam sale leecher (in a steam sale, if it's not under a tenner - or preferably a fiver - I'm not getting it) I have a list that is waaay too long of games that I haven't played enough. Be it that I haven't completed them, haven't gotten enough really out of them to say I've played them, or just haven't even started yet...

Started, but just haven't gotten around to finishing, but intend to:

FEAR 2.
    Deus Ex: Invisible War

Started, thought they were crap/something wasn't working/just didn't hold my attention, probably won't play again:

Mass Effect
    Bioshock

Aw dude seriously? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

marco_polo wrote: »
    Aw dude seriously? :pac:

Sad, but true...

I know, I know, given that Mass Effect and Bioshock are obviously better quality games. They just didn't suck me in, or in the case of Mass Effect, it was just bloody terrible combat.

Though I should clarify, I've not actually started Fear 2, but I did start Fear (original) and liked it. And Deus Ex 2 I'm only playing before Human Revolution comes out so that I know the universe\canon as well as I can. Though to be fair to it, it's not a bad game at all, it's no Deus Ex... but then again, what is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

alb wrote: »
    I don't understand buying a game when you don't have time to play it immediately. I buy one, wait until I'm done and then buy another. I read reviews and make sure it's a top-rated one. Added bonus is I usually end up paying half what I would have. I might make an exception for something a lot of ppl are playing online straight after release.

Where a game will potentially run low on stock very quickly, I will buy on release. This is the case with games on DS. Bought Ghost Trick and Mario vs. Donkey Kong on release though I won't get near them for a couple of months at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Kurley wrote: »
    Where a game will potentially run low on stock very quickly, I will buy on release. This is the case with games on DS. Bought Ghost Trick and Mario vs. Donkey Kong on release though I won't get near them for a couple of months at least.

Yeah you need to do that for certain games. I remember some Castlevania games going out of print fast on GBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Jesus lads, how do ye manage to buy so many games and never touch some of them for months?? :D

I only ever have my attention on 1 game at a time (especially if its something I've been waiting for). I simply won't buy anything else until I complete it or get bored of it. Other times, I have maybe one sports game and an action/fps title to divide my time between but I don't think I could ever buy a game and not play it the same day or until completion.

Although saying that, Mirrors Edge got 6 minutes out of me and was never touched again. That was awful ****e though :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm only playing through Arkham Asylum now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

DarkJager wrote: »
    Jesus lads, how do ye manage to buy so many games and never touch some of them for months?? :D

I suppose you just see something going for a "good price" and pick it up thinking you'll get around to it sooner than is realistic!

I try and finish games too and but sometimes it takes longer than anticipated and the backlog just grows!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

thats it i see a good bargain on a game and pick it up and it goes into the pile to eventually be played... or not
    did it again last night picked up Vanquish for PS3 and R.U.S.E. for pc :rolleyes::D

1 "R.U.S.E (PC DVD)"
    DVD-ROM; £10.06

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

1 "Vanquish (PS3)"
    Video Game; £15.11

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I used to do that....a lot. Now I am trying a one game finished before I buy a new game approach. ITs partially a financial readjustment but also because it forces me to actually play games to completion. I have too much of a "oh look, new shiny thing" approach to games so that I stop playing games I am enjoying to start new ones.

Currently finishing GOW III, Red Faction, Demons Souls and Dragon Age origins and going through DLC for Borderlands so it could be a while until my next game (Well until novermber.....Skyrim and Uncharted 3 will be definite purchase)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This tears me up inside, I was always one for total dedication to games and ensuring I had completed at least 90% of the games I own.

I'm disgusted with the fact that the last game I finished completely was Assassin's Creed 2 last July. Then a combination of moving house, consoles hooked up to main tv (which must be shared :() and having a baby (not personally, I missing the important equipment) my gaming time has been reduced to one night a week if I'm lucky :(

I've got games that I really want to finish but I need to be able to get a good run at them and thats not really feasible at the moment.

Want to complete:
    Valkryia Chronicles
    AC:brotherhood
    GOW3
    FFXIII

Still in the wrapping
    My Xbox 360 :o
    Mass Effect 1&2
    Gears of war 1&2
    Bioshock 1&2
    Blue Dragon
    Fable 2
    Infamous
    Prototype
    Lost Planet 2
    Forza 3
    Batman AA
    Lost Odyssey

I'm so ashamed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

RedXIV wrote: »
    This tears me up inside, I was always one for total dedication to games and ensuring I had completed at least 90% of the games I own.

I'm disgusted with the fact that the last game I finished completely was Assassin's Creed 2 last July. Then a combination of moving house, consoles hooked up to main tv (which must be shared :() and having a baby (not personally, I missing the important equipment) my gaming time has been reduced to one night a week if I'm lucky :(

I've got games that I really want to finish but I need to be able to get a good run at them and thats not really feasible at the moment.

Want to complete:
    Valkryia Chronicles
    AC:brotherhood
    GOW3
    FFXIII

Still in the wrapping
    My Xbox 360 :o
    Mass Effect 1&2
    Gears of war 1&2
    Bioshock 1&2
    Blue Dragon
    Fable 2
    Infamous
    Prototype
    Lost Planet 2
    Forza 3
    Batman AA
    Lost Odyssey

I'm so ashamed :(

you need a psp or ds. Headphones and let the misses watch her reality tv. On the toilet grind a dungeon.

Probably why its so big in Japan. Most salary men are time poor so play on their commutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

you need a psp or ds. Headphones and let the misses watch her reality tv. On the toilet grind a dungeon.

Probably why its so big in Japan. Most salary men are time poor so play on their commutes

I have a psp and HAD a DS till wee lad took it over on me :(

kinda killing me though I got the PSP as a present so downloaded alot of old PS1 games to play on it but most of them need the L2 and R2 buttons :(

Dying to play Abes Odyssey again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

On the toilet grind a dungeon.

That sounds like it could be some kind of horrible euphemism...

Reality TV time for the GF is PC gaming time for me, I'm actually looking forward to BGT coming back on so that I can catch up with my PC games!

Tried telling her that she can just stream TV on her laptop in the bedroom while I play my games on the TV, but that didn't go down too well:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I had a massive backlog of half played games up until around spring of last year when i decided to try and clear them. I've managed to finish 20-30 games in the last year. I usually play two games on the go (one from 360 another PS3 and sometimes a PC game) and won't let myself move onto another until one of the two are finished.

Problem is i buy about 2 or 3 games every few weeks so i usually still have between 5-10 games to get through.

I'm currently trying to finish Lost Odyssey and Sly Racoon but unfortunately i've been hooked on FM11 and BFBC2 multiplayer lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I've got Metro 2033 and Darksiders on the to be played list, Bought them at good prices in around christmas as well as Kane & Lynch 2 and Army fo Two 2 for some co-op play with a friend. Then in the middle of all that madness I bought Dead Space which took up my time as I still play alot of COD.

Finished K&L the other day and traded it in for Enslaved for €2. Have 1 more achievement I want to get in Dead Space and then will trade it in and move onto one of the 3 that I have lined up.

Further down the list of games to be played are Lego Indiana Jones (not sure if I can bring myself to play it after the pain that was Batman) and Pure which were all double packs. No intention of ever playing Kung Fu Panda.

Add to that my XBLA games which I still play a frequently
    Pinball FX 2
    Dead Rising 2 Case West
    Deathspank
    Castlevania SOTN

And now I'm hankering after the new Fight Night game.

It's never ending but definitely hitting more of a backlog now then ever before.

As part of my budget reduction on games I do play them alot more than usual diving through them for Achievements to get the most value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I'm in this situation right now. Between AC:B, ME2, NFS:HP, Enslaved and Vanquish and soon KZ3. I just don't have the time to play all of them! :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wing126 wrote: »
    I'm in this situation right now. Between AC:B, ME2, NFS:HP, Enslaved and Vanquish and soon KZ3. I just don't have the time to play all of them! :'(

Play Vanquish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

I'd like to echo some points others have made. I've only one tv in house so unfair to take it over playing console games. I almost exclusively play DS games now (and will get the 3DS next month).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I keep buying new games before I finish old ones, Fallout 3 was abandoned some time last year and I still haven't gotten back to it, same with dragon age origins on my laptop. Before Fallout was Skate 2 which I got about 95% done and the first Resistance game. Not to mention all the guitar hero/rock band games I have!

I was ploughing through GT5 (wheel is great) until I got demon's souls which I now play any chance I get. Can't see myself moving from that for a while but the new killzone looks very good....

I like to get a sneaky game of zelda in on my gf's DS when reality tv is on, everyone's a winner:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Kurley wrote: »
    I'd like to echo some points others have made. I've only one tv in house so unfair to take it over playing console games. I almost exclusively play DS games now (and will get the 3DS next month).

No excuse here. Two TV's in house; one left solely for gaming.

After reading this thread I counted 35 unfinished games on the shelf. Then remembered some unfinished games that I have lent to my father and brother in law. Then somebody mentions XBLA...feck, some more loitering there and also on psn. About 50 games in total unfinished (with most not even started).

The largest issue for me is how I play games - I played ES: Oblivion a few years ago, exited the sewer and thought 'this is the game I've always wanted'. I played 100+ hours and never even went through the first gate! Had to leave it and play some of the other games on the shelf. And since December 2009 Fallout 3: GOTY sits unwrapped in the middle of all the other games- a menacing threat to their existance or potential of gameplay!

And why has this all happened? Fecking games deals and discount sales!!

I think I have only paid full price for 1 game - Demons Souls. Everything else was picked up at a decent discount - Dead Space 2 being the most recent in Argos. I have become a larger game consumer than game player - 2 weeks to play a game vs 30 seconds to buy it! How you PC gamers survive the Steam sales- lord knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

35. Pfft, amateur. I bought well over 100 ps2 games in the last year since they were being sold off cheaply everywhere. I now have about 200 games unfinished when I add this generation of consoles and a few N64 and NES games I got for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

35. Pfft, amateur. I bought well over 100 ps2 games in the last year since they were being sold off cheaply everywhere. I now have about 200 games unfinished when I add this generation of consoles and a few N64 and NES games I got for Christmas.

OK, you win! What's the competition?

Ah jaysus, I forgot old console games. This just gets worse by the post!

This years policy - No more purchases, just get through some of backlog....and buy Dark Souls, maybe The Last Guardian also, and maybe Limbo (discounted). But definitely no more, and possibly Rage. LA Noire looks interesting, as does Torchlight, oh and Beyond Good and Evil.....

Advertisement