Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 2.2...

Options
  • 19-02-2011 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

....an honours degree? I was 100% sure it was until we got an email from the programme officer saying it's a pass????? The GPA breakdown thing indicates its an honours but can someone clear this up!thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

A grade of 2.2 is a pass

A 2nd Class Honours Grade 2 (some times referred to as a 2-2) is an honours degree

See this link

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thesituation51

If it says 2h2 is this not an honours?sorry i dont understand! thats the document iv seen before, my understanding was 2h2 meant honours, anything less than that is a pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

If it says 2h2 is this not an honours?sorry i dont understand! thats the document iv seen before, my understanding was 2h2 meant honours, anything less than that is a pass!

Op, what is your GPA? Is your GPA 2.2? If so, it is a pass degree. This is from that document;

picture.php?albumid=729&pictureid=8827

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

If you GPA is between 2.48 to 3.07, it is a 2.2. That is short for Second Class Honours Grade 2, so given that it says honours in the award title, that should be a pretty big clue!

A pass degree is a GPA of 2.00 to 2.47 inclusive.

All that is from the modular grades PDF that was linked to above and the poster answered your question, so there should really be no confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Heres a question for you, if you get a pass mark in an honours degree i.e. Level 8; do you have an honours degree? Or do you need to get a 2.2. or higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Heres a question for you, if you get a pass mark in an honours degree i.e. Level 8; do you have an honours degree? Or do you need to get a 2.2. or higher

You need AT LEAST a 2.2 for honours.

You didnt phrase your answer in a way that addressed my question.

Let me elabourate.

Often people who get As, Bs, or Cs in ordinary level junior cert or leaving cert that they got "all honours". However, this is not correct. There are no honours at JC or LC, and to refer to higher lever as "honours" is not technically correct. It's a hang over from the old syllabus where there was only one level, and to get a grade of A B or C was to achieve "honours".

Now, carrying over to 3rd level. A Level 8 qualification is also known as an Honours Degree. If you get a GPA of 2.0 you will be awarded a Level 8 degree.

The question is not, what GPA = first / second level honours.

Its my understanding that someone who gets a GPA of 2.0 in commerce can legitimately put on their CV "B.Comm (Hons)". Someone with a 4.2 can put down "B.Comm (Hons), First Class Honours", if they so choose.

Personally, I've never put down the "hons". I just say I got it from UCD and every employer knows that its an honours (level 8) degree.

Something that does grind my gears though, are the people (I find most of them go to TCD) who claim they got third class honours. That just shows you are a first class moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Now, carrying over to 3rd level. A Level 8 qualification is also known as an Honours Degree. If you get a GPA of 2.0 you will be awarded a Level 8 degree. My question is, will it still say Honours Degree on it?

Is a level 8 degree always an Honours Degree irrespective of the grade? Emphatically yes. On a CV this would read BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) Grade:2.0.

Contrary to what someone implied earlier a GPA of 2.2 (or whatever) does not give you a pass degree. It gives you a pass grade - the level of the degree is another matter.

Of course informally people will refer to them as pass degrees and honours degrees based on grade achieved but this has no basis in fact. In the same way that people often informally give an average of their grades in two subjects of an Arts degree to grade their 'overall degree' but in actual fact they have two separate grades assuming the subjects to be equally weighted.

It is unfortunate that the nomenclature in this area about pass/honours leads to so much (understandable) confusion.

In terms of specifying if a degree is Honours or Pass (Level 8 or level 7) I presume general familiarity (of an employer or graduate college) with a degree/institution will avoid the necessity to specify. For example my degree parchment does not specify that it is an honours degree but perhaps since it is awarded by the NUI (UCD) this is understood. Maybe the NUI does not award level 7 degrees. Not sure about that.

There is such a thing as a Third-Class Honours degree in UCD too. Seems to be a bit silly really to give Honours to people with less than 50 per cent of the marks.

Please find a source for third class honours.
    Its not amongst the grades on the website linked above

Is 2.0 the correct short hand for pass? Your GPA is not your Grade. I can just image some sneaky people aiming for a GPA of 2.1

Please find a source for third class honours.
    Its not amongst the grades on the website linked above

Is 2.0 the correct short hand for pass?

http://www.ucd.ie/statdept/aactstat/07infobafs2_2.doc - Go to item 10 on this list. *

This certainly is not where I first saw it but it's the first thing that came up when I googled it so it proves it does exist. Not saying it is the case for all courses either, just that it exists.

A GPA of 2.0 is the minimum pass grade. I think it might go up to 2.47 or something like that. But unlike the old system where you get say a 2.1 if you are anywhere on the spectrum between 60% and 70% under the GPA system there are numerous different GPAs equating to the old grades.

Not entirely sure of what the pass grade spectrum is but I know a 2.1 equates to between a GPA of 3.01 to 3.67.

Incidentally I don't understand how your GPA is not your 'grade'. How else is one supposed to show how they did in their degree? The old system of 1.1, 2.1 etc. is being phased out surely? The GPA is a much better accurate reflection of how someone did as the spectrums for the old grades were so wide. The nominal distinction between GPA and grade at this stage is simply harking back to the old system is it not - or is the plan to maintain the two systems in tandem? If that is the case you are correct to make the distinction.

* Just tried the link and there were problems. Just in case, google 'UCD Third Class Honours' and it's the first option that comes up from the search.

• Advertisement

Interesting, so some courses actually do have third class honours. Hence more confustion.

I was being pedantic on GPA not equalling grade. Just ignore me. I get confused when I see people write Grade 2.1, because I always think second class honours, grade one.

I was being pedantic on GPA not equalling grade. Just ignore me.

You've got me thinking though and you might not be wrong because I know that when results were sent out last year they had grade and GPA.

I assumed it was just part of the teething process while the old system is being phased out and people get used to what the GPA actually means in terms of standard. But I cannot say for certain that both will not remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Rosita wrote: »
    Not entirely sure of what the pass grade spectrum is but I know a 2.1 equates to between a GPA of 3.01 to 3.67.
    This is wrong...

Just want to clarify this guys...

GPA 2.00-2.47 = Pass
    GPA 2.48-3.07 = Second Class honors grade 2 (2.2)
    GPA 3.08-3.67 = Second Class Honors grade 1 (2.1)
    GPA 3.68-4.20 = First Class Honors (1.1)

muboop1 wrote: »
    This is wrong...

Just want to clarify this guys...

GPA 2.00-2.47 = Pass
    GPA 2.48-3.07 = Second Class honors grade 2 (2.2)
    GPA 3.08-3.67 = Second Class Honors grade 1 (2.1)
    GPA 3.68-4.20 = First Class Honors (1.1)

Funny how I was accurate on the one I took a wild vague guess at (2.00-2.47) but was wrong on the one I knew! :confused:

Rosita wrote: »
    Contrary to what someone implied earlier a GPA of 2.2 (or whatever) does not give you a pass degree. It gives you a pass grade - the level of the degree is another matter.

I was pretty clearly talking about the grade. The thread appeared to be about grades, so I had assumed people would know that when they do a Level 8 degree, that it is an honours degree.

The thread begins with is a 2.2. and honours degree. The clarification was needed.

The thread begins with is a 2.2. and honours degree. The clarification was needed.

When I see 2.2 and a question about honours, I would naturally assume the question is about grades. It is very common for people to use their result when talking about their degree, such as saying "I got a 1.1 degree". That would obviously mean I got a 1.1 final grade in my degree, but for the sake of brevity, people do not say that all the time.

Again, it just never dawned on me that a level 8 degree was being queried as to whether it is an honours degree.

It is very common for people to use their result when talking about their degree, such as saying "I got a 1.1 degree". That would obviously mean I got a 1.1 final grade in my degree, but for the sake of brevity, people do not say that all the time.

This was acknowledged by me when I wrote: Of course informally people will refer to them as pass degrees and honours degrees based on grade achieved but this has no basis in fact. In the same way that people often informally give an average of their grades in two subjects of an Arts degree to grade their 'overall degree' but in actual fact they have two separate grades assuming the subjects to be equally weighted.

All of that informal stuff is grand when there is no confusion. However, this was the specific question I addressed: if you get a pass mark in an honours degree i.e. Level 8; do you have an honours degree?

Some of the comments made such as: "A pass degree is a GPA of 2.00 to 2.47inclusive"....."Is your GPA 2.2? If so, it is a pass degree" were in confusing the issue more.

I don't think it was unreasonable to infer that there was a lack of clarity on the matter. And that's all I was trying to clear up.

As I have already said the nomenclature in this area is silly and bound to lead to confusion.

When I see 2.2 and a question about honours, I would naturally assume the question is about grades. It is very common for people to use their result when talking about their degree, such as saying "I got a 1.1 degree". That would obviously mean I got a 1.1 final grade in my degree, but for the sake of brevity, people do not say that all the time.

Again, it just never dawned on me that a level 8 degree was being queried as to whether it is an honours degree.
    I know it didnt dawn on you. But why are you arguing whether or not it was worth clarifying?

Are you the Pope by any chance? If not, then I dont think the world is going to end if you're not right about everything. Let it go...

I know it didnt dawn on you. But why are you arguing whether or not it was worth clarifying?

Are you the Pope by any chance? If not, then I dont think the world is going to end if you're not right about everything. Let it go...

I had let it go and saying that I never thought of that clarification being needed is me saying "sorry I just didn't think of that". Given that I hadn't posted in this thread in a few day should have been a sign I had let it go.

People here were just trying to help, no need to insult people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement