Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have people received their polling cards yet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

seriously how can they expect a fair election outcome if people get two cards, foreigners are allowed to vote, and all this other random stuff?

Would all of this not be a reason to contest the vote should the outcome not be favourable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

You don't need a card to vote.

Its up to people to inform their local councils when they change addresses.

Anybody can inform local councils if they suspect somebody is no longer living in the area where they are registered to vote or if they are registered in more than one place.

Personating agents can ask people for proof of address or if they suspect somebody is no longer living in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You don't need a card to vote.

Its up to people to inform their local councils when they change addresses.

Anybody can inform local councils if they suspect somebody is no longer living in the area where they are registered to vote or if they are registered in more than one place.

Personating agents can ask people for proof of address or if they suspect somebody is no longer living in the area.
    I did inform the city council of my change of address and they still sent out two polling cards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

galah wrote: »
    seriously how can they expect a fair election outcome if people get two cards, foreigners are allowed to vote, and all this other random stuff?

Would all of this not be a reason to contest the vote should the outcome not be favourable?

How are foreigners allowed to vote? They are currently only allowed to vote in local elections. If you are referring to foreign nationals who have emigrated to Ireland, paid their taxes and become Irish citizens what's the problem.

There are plenty of Irish people who don't vote and yet they come onto boards and bitch about the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

In my case, they messed up, and I got a polling card (and that despite changing address AND my name - they still managed to track me down and send me one - no mean feat!)

I am not an Irish citizen, never was, not intending to become one (don't have 1000 Euros sitting around to pay for the priviledge).

So that's a bit odd, isnt it?!

And I know I am not the only one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I got mine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Polling card is not needed, provided you are on the register.

What is needed is some form of ID such as a driving license or passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

My voting station is Mercy Convent, Francis Street.
    Is that the school just across the road from the Town Hall Theatre?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Adelie wrote: »
    My voting station is Mercy Convent, Francis Street.
    Is that the school just across the road from the Town Hall Theatre?

Must be.

Technically that's the school, the convent is across the road. But it's a building site at the moment, so they must mean the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How are foreigners allowed to vote? They are currently only allowed to vote in local elections.

So British people aren't foreigners, then?

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html
    The right to vote is as follows:
    • Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;
    • British citizens may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections;
    • Other European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections
    • Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only.
    You must be registered at one address only and you must live at that address on 1 September before the register comes into force. If you live away from the address at which you are registered, (for example, if you are a student living away from home), you will need to contact the registration authority and give them your new address.
    If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address.

Interesting that Irish people who weren't living in the country at at 1 Sept 2010 cannot vote either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭brozio7

Brozio's Bird here. First time to vote in Galway. Got my polling card on Monday. Only made it by the skin of my teeth onto the supplementary register.

Polling station is Shantalla N.S. No. 2. I'm guessing that's Shantalla National School. The problem is, I cannot find Shantalla National School anywhere! Not online, not on any map. Don't bother mentioning the city council website www.galwaycity.ie because they can give you detailed information on how to get to the City Museum, but if you want a school, good luck.

Any suggestions? An address would be great :o

Advertisement