Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Who do we Vote for ?.

• 19-02-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

As the other election thread has been somewhat hijacked by a certain poster lets see if we can rationally decide which party is best, from an animal welfare viewpoint.

Fine Gael have said that they will introduce an animal welfare bill but they will also reintroduce Stag hunting. I wonder if they will actually do this as they would probably be making history by introducing a law to allow cruelty.

Labour have said that they will block the reintroduction of Stag hunting but there are murmurings about Breed Specific Legislation - a dangerous dogs ban. Does anyone know if this is in their manifesto or just spoutings from a particular Councillor ?.

I do not know Sinn Fein's policy but are there going to part of any coalition ?.

So who are you going to vote for & why ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I got this email from FG
    Many thanks for your email and your interest in Fine Gael policies.

The Fine Gael party has not proposed amending the restricted breed list. The Party is keen to overhaul outdated animal welfare legislation which extends back for more than 100 years. However, the Party is cognisant that this is a very complex area and please be assured that any issues affecting dog owners will be properly debated and discussed with stakeholders in the context of any future reforms.

Yours Sincerely,
    The Fine Gael Campaign Team 2011

Had an email from Labours spokesperson for Food & Agriculture looking for my phone no., but havent heard from him yet.

As a Rottie owner I couldnt possibly support a party who would introduce BSL or outright bans. Still very much undecided :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well, I'm travelling over to the UK on Wednesday to go and race some huskies (and non-huskies:D) so unfortunately won't be here to vote. I wasn't supposed to be going until later in the week, so haven't looked into any other arrangements for voting, and its too late now.

However, I'm quite relieved, as I really feel you should vote, after what previous generations went through to ensure that we could, but I honestly don't know who I could or would vote for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I strongly feel we all should vote, but I will not vote for someone just for the sake of voting.
    I am reading and re-reading all the info I can find on local politicians policies (and their parties) and trying to decide, but if I can't find one thats worthy I would rather not vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Raging that I didn't spot the canvassers going around earlier when we got back from our walk were from Labour because I would have asked them about their plans for my GR's RB friends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I was out the back working when FG called today so missed them, I wouldve loved to grill them on animal welfare! Roll on labour and their RB banning, I cant wait to get a hold of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Labour broke our flap thing on the letter box earlier putting a flyer in so they're public enemy number one in our house now...well it may have been bold boy trying to snatch the flyer and shred it but we can't vote against him lol! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is nothing in the Labour manifesto regarding dogs. The only reference to animals is as follows:

"Labour will ensure that animal welfare is enhanced & protected and will strengthen legislation on animal cruelty."

It is pretty likely that Fine Gael will get in & they intend to resume Stag hunting unless Labour are a coalition partner. If there are no plans to introduce BSL then Labour seem to offer the best animal welfare option. Also personally I would be concerned at FG or any other party, governing alone or with a few independents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My dear Discodog ,poo, we ALREADY HAVE Breed Specific Legislation in this country, i.e. the Restricted Breeds Act.

Labour has proven pre-election 2007 what they intended doing (and I am not going to repeat myself endlessly here, it's STILL up on www.Labour.ie) - I would rather hack off my hand than vote Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

EGAR wrote: »
    My dear Discodog ,poo, we ALREADY HAVE Breed Specific Legislation in this country, i.e. the Restricted Breeds Act.

Labour has proven pre-election 2007 what they intended doing (and I am not going to repeat myself endlessly here, it's STILL up on www.Labour.ie) - I would rather hack off my hand than vote Labour.

OK I should of added the word "additional" before BSL. As my brain is clearly fading can you provide a link to the BSL part of Labour policy as I can't see it on the link you gave. I did go through their manifesto - all 100 odd pages of it & the only reference to animals was the one that I quoted.

Advertisement