Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggy Backpack

• 19-02-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen doggy backpacks in any of the pet stores? I'd like to get one for my guy to carry his field line etc so we can practice our training in the park. I won't mind paying a few euro more than getting one online so I could see it on real life/try different sizes on him etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

Hi, maxi zoo has them and you can bring your dog in to try them on, hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There's a new petstop on Airside in Swords, picked one up a few weeks back for 20euro. Pics below

Has zip pockets and velcro, straps are a bit long so we've had to cut them short, great quality item.

Staff there are great, took Brodi in and we tried it on before buying, no bother at all

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

@scudzilla, always amazed at how good looking your dog is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Gorgeous pics of Brodi Scudzilla.

We got this one in Maxi zoo last summer for €30 or thereabouts..
    DSCF0019.jpg

It was just "alright" tbh. The straps were too long, it didn't sit great and the materials were cheap. It'd do for occasional wear or short walks but it wasn't great for long hikes at all

We took the plunge then a few months later and bought the Ruff Wear Palisades pack online http://www.ruffwear.com/Palisades-Pack and my god, it's brilliant! It cost around €90 though :eek: but worth every penny IMO if your into backpacking with your mutt. They do a cheaper one (€50 or so) called the approach pack http://www.ruffwear.com/Approach-Pack?sc=2&category=13 where the pouches don't dettach. The only reason I went for the more expensive one myself was becuase the harness can be used for bikejoring if you take the pouches off (I've still got to try that though).

I'm saving up to get another one for my other akita now. Here it is on Loki the day we got it (can't find any recent pics of him wearing it)
    IMAG0114pack.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys! They didn't have any in Maxi Zoo in Finglas so we headed over and got the same one as the lovely Brodi! It's exactly what I wanted - one that's easy to take off and put back on so I can take it off when he's playing and put it back on when he's training or walking! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

With the cheaper versions available in petshops a word of caution especially if your dog is short-haired. The straps and buckles are either not or cheaply padded this can cause quite bad sores/rope burns. So check the dog regularly especially in warm weather.

I got mine from Country Hounds:

http://www.countryhounds.ie/Category.aspx?CategoryID=16

EGAR wrote: »
    With the cheaper versions available in petshops a word of caution especially if your dog is short-haired. The straps and buckles are either not or cheaply padded this can cause quite bad sores/rope burns. So check the dog regularly especially in warm weather.

I got mine from Country Hounds:

http://www.countryhounds.ie/Category.aspx?CategoryID=16

You're dead right Sarah, that's why we upgraded.

Country Hounds used to do the packs I spoke of until a few months back but only do 2 types now that I have no experience with.

I think the "Quick Release" packs on the webbie are the ones Caeser Milan has used but they look very similar to the cheapo one I got in Maxi zoo so I'm sceptical of them. Someone who knows better, feel free to correct me on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've just noticed that as well, I got mine off them 3 years ago and it's not on there anymore.

My guy is skinny so he's kind of between sizes which is why I went for the pet shop option so I could go and try it on him. It fits perfectly though and will only be for carrying the field line on one side - and a toy on the other to balance it out. I'm going to see how we get on and if the backpack is something we'll be using a lot then I'll probably upgrade to a ruffwear one. I already have a webmaster harness for getting him in and out of the car to the vets when he has surgery on his other leg and can't use his ramp. I got it after I put my back out lifting him out of the car when he had his stitches out! :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    It fits perfectly though and will only be for carrying the field line on one side - and a toy on the other to balance it out.

I think that's the most important thing with any pack- it needs to be balanced properly.

Glad you got sorted anyway, now put up some pics :D

• Advertisement

We used it today and it was great!! :D For once I didn't have buldging pockets of poo bags, clicker, treats etc!! On the way home we stopped by the vets for his flea/wormer and he carried it home for me lol!! :D

As a side note if you take a look at his back legs in the pic below you can see the improvement in his gait- the leg closest to us is the one that was straightened but on the other side his paw is much flatter on the ground and pointing out

148937.JPG
    148933.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Lovely pics, he's looking fantastic.

I see you have my favourite lead in the world, the Manmat bungee. One of the dogs chewed through two of them, so now I only have one:(

Hehe you recommended that lead ISDW! :D When I got his webmaster harness from county hounds I got another one of the leads just to put by in case anything ever happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tk123 wrote: »
    Hehe you recommended that lead ISDW! :D When I got his webmaster harness from county hounds I got another one of the leads just to put by in case anything ever happens!

Oh did I?:o I spout such rubbish most of the time, I can never remember what I say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Can I just ask, what's the manmat bungee lead? I mean, I know what a bungee cord is and I assume it's on the same principle but what are the benefits of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ISDW wrote: »
    Oh did I?:o I spout such rubbish most of the time, I can never remember what I say:D

Welcome to my world :P

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what's the manmat bungee lead? I mean, I know what a bungee cord is and I assume it's on the same principle but what are the benefits of it?

Basically one half of the lead is a regular flat lead and the other half is a bungee. I like it because if he starts to pull it's against the bungee so it corrects him - when he feels the bungee working he trends to fall back into position. Also I pulled my back last year so if pulls or yanks the lead the bungee gives us both some extra slack so I don't get crippled! :pac: Lastly as he's a retriever 90% of the time likes to walk along sniffing the grass so the lead is slack.. the bungee kind of curves so the lead doesn't trail along the ground so much stopping him stepping over it and and getting tangled up! It's just a brilliant lead!

Advertisement