Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will arts degrees go down in points?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm sitting my Leaving Cert this year, and hoping to get into Philosophy and Sociology(TSM) in Trinity. Many people are dismissive of philosophy or similar courses and are opting for business degrees. They are perceived to be more stable degrees. Damn philistines!

Anyway, because the numbers in arts degree applicants are dwindling, will the courses be less points? Philosophy and Sociology in Trinity particularly.

Obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

I'm wondering this too; my first eight choices are all tsm courses in trinity, the next two are my first two choices, but in ucd

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Anyway, because the numbers in arts degree applicants are dwindling, will the courses be less points? Philosophy and Sociology in Trinity particularly.

Where did you hear that, actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blindmindseye

Where did you hear that, actually?

Amongst my classmates, few are doing arts degrees. Every older person I've talked to says to do a business course. It just seemed logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

I heard that all arts courses are going to level off between 360-365 but don't bet on a place cos most universities are lowering their intake to deal with the inflow. Lets face it... How many people have put arts on the bottom of their CAO, just in case???

Paul.M92 wrote: »
    I heard that all arts courses are going to level off between 360-365 but don't bet on a place cos most universities are lowering their intake to deal with the inflow. Lets face it... How many people have put arts on the bottom of their CAO, just in case???

I'm not talking about Arts in Ucd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

I'm not talking about Arts in Ucd.

Neither am I

Paul.M92 wrote: »
    Neither am I

So it'll go down 100 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

I'm hoping to do English in TCD also. Might be worth bearing in mind points for TR023 (English Studies), went from 480 - 505 last year, though they did drop in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Average_Joe

Look if you are going to spend that much money on going to college then you might as well get a proper degree. You will get nothing out of Arts and spend your life on the dole. Lets face it, who wants to employ an Arts graduate?

Look if you are going to spend that much money on going to college then you might as well get a proper degree. You will get nothing out of Arts and spend your life on the dole. Lets face it, who wants to employ an Arts graduate?

Maybe I don't want the basis for my existence to be greed. Maybe I don't want to stay in the plantation of an education I'm currently trapped in. Maybe I don't want to wait until I'm 65 or more until I can live my life. Maybe I don't want to be a slave to conformism. My personal fulfillment triumphs over money and lustful desires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I can't speak for any other area than my own, and in my view the demand for arts remains always. As long as you have slackers and people who want to go to college without necessarily the intention of learning, you will find a huge demand for arts courses. As long as you have courses offered exclusively through arts in a college, and not as a stand alone degree, you find demand for arts courses. Having said that, the supply for these courses is relative so we don't see points going up massively for these courses year on year. So, in short, I don't see the points for arts going down any time soon. As to the particular course in question, your guess is better than mine!

Don't think from what I've said above that I think you're a slacker btw. In fact, I have great respect for people who shun the norms of business degrees and the like and instead pursue fascinating but ultimately less financially rewarding degree such as philosophy and sociology. Personally, if I thought I had the aptitude, that is where I would head too but I think you have to excel in those areas to make any kind of living out of it. Out of interest, what would you like to do after college with said degree?

I would like to be an author or a journalist. Even poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

ultimately less financially rewarding degree
    Any what,good sir, is the matter with that?

Regardless of how many BMW's one may have, Life goes on.

Camilo wrote: »
    Any what,good sir, is the matter with that?

You have taken what was said out of context.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nobody knows, OP.
    This thread is only serving to entertain the Arts knockers and encourage trolling.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement