Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC won't boot

Options
  • 19-02-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

This PC is having problems

HWVS141110.png

When I turn it on all fans spin, hard drives and cd rom fires up but the screen is blank.

I've tried removing the graphics card and using the onboard, same result. I've tried each stick of ram and no ram at all with everything else disconnected but I'm not getting any beep codes. I do have a case speaker but I don't know if it works or not the last motherboard had an onboard speaker.

I've tried a different monitor and both the VGA and DVI port but the screen remains blank.

I've tried clearing the cmos a few times with no luck.

The speaker header on the MB has a four pin connection and the case speaker is that wide but it only has wires coming out of the two outside pins. I've tried plugging in the speaker both ways (upside down and up) but it's not having any effect.

I don't know what else to try because I can't get any indication of what's wrong with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Try disconnecting everything except for the PSU, RAM & monitor, and see what happens then.
    Make sure RAM kit is in the same colour slots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I managed to find a case speaker and I'm going back to see if that will give me any clues as to whats wrong.

When you say take everything bar those mentioned in your post you don't mean take out the cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Oh yeah, don't take out CPU.
    Just have the basics connected and hopefully narrow down the cause.
    Hope it works out.

I tried the speaker from my own PC and I'm pretty sure it works it's been my PCs way of giving out to me for the past 6 years.

I have already tried it with everything disconnected, even ram and it's not giving off any indication any things wrong through beeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Have you considered faulty motherboard ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

did you put it together or did hardwareversand

It was put together by my brother in law and I only arrived at the stage of connecting up the front panel wires.

He's put stuff together before and he hadn't powered anything on before I arrived.

I don't see how it could be anything other than a faulty motherboard at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

is the 8 pin cpu cable plugged in

Yes, I've checked and rechecked cables. The PSU had two four pin which I'm assuming combine into the eight pin, it does say CPU across the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

maybe just try 1 four pin some mobo,s like only 4

• Advertisement

Just tried that there, tried with the left four pins, then the right 4 pins, nothing on screen, I didn't have the speaker hooked up though so I didn't get any beeps but it's just not giving those out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

24-pin motherboard connector plugged in?

At this point I'm thinking it's RMA time for that motherboard.

Yeah 24pin is in both the long one and the little four pin add on. I've just sent an email off to both hardwareversand and Asrock.

I haven't even gotten around to starting on my own PC if that one gives trouble as well I'm going to pull out what little hair I have left in a blind rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Have you tried using a different graphics card?

Ya, it was ordered with a graphics card but that was blank so I went back to the on board.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tried reseating the motherboard? I only ask because I did something stupid last week installing mine (put a riser under a part of the motherboard with no screw hole above it) which shorted out part of the board but miraculously didn't damage it.

I'll try anything at this stage I'm assuming getting a new one will take weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

It sounds like your Mainboard was DOA to be honest, Id just apply for the RMA now and get it moving for yourself.

I found a prety serious problem, I don't know if it's the problem but it certainly wouldn't have helped. The CPU wasn't seated properly, it was just left on top of the CPU slot. This would mean however that it wasn't getting power so it shouldn't be electrically damaged, I think it was also put in the wrong way around as some of the pins are bent.

I'm going to try straightening the pins and hope it's ok, what do ye think are the odds of it working?

I'm still of the opinion that there's something wrong with the motherboard as I'm assuming I should have seen some error on screen CPU or no CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd say keep your brother-in-law away from your computer next time. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't have much hope for it, but you never know. Give it a go. Bear in mind though, even if it does work, it might not be very stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oh dear, sound like very shoddy PC building skills.
    I'm still of the opinion that there's something wrong with the motherboard as I'm assuming I should have seen some error on screen CPU or no CPU.

This is an interesting point. I've been having problems with some of my own PC's lately which is the same as yours. All fans spin up but blank screen. Anyway I would of thought that it would be a blank screen if CPU wasn't mounted properly but I could be wrong?

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'd say keep your brother-in-law away from your computer next time. ;)
    It was their own PC, they where on a budget too (I convinced them they'd get a better deal building) so it could be a total loss.

The thing is the CPU wasn't even in the slot so the biggest concern I have is physical damage and how easily that pin damage can be transferred to internal CPU damage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ScumLord wrote: »
    I found a prety serious problem, I don't know if it's the problem but it certainly wouldn't have helped. The CPU wasn't seated properly, it was just left on top of the CPU slot. This would mean however that it wasn't getting power so it shouldn't be electrically damaged, I think it was also put in the wrong way around as some of the pins are bent.

I'm going to try straightening the pins and hope it's ok, what do ye think are the odds of it working?

Fortunately copper is quite flexible so If there was not that much force used then the CPU 'should' be ok once the pins are only bent not broken. I have had to straighten out CPU pins before and encountered no problems (never more than 2 or 3 mind).

As for the motherboard, it simply won't post without a CPU therefore you will never see anything on the display.

OK so, there's still hope. :D

The heatsink wasn't even clipped in place so there wasn't to much force applied, the bent pins are in four places where the pins bent either side of the raised plastic guides on the slot.

At least with the CPU in place I should start getting error beeps and should know either way if something busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd say you should be grand in that case, I'm pretty certain I may have bent a pin or two back in the day and didn't have any major problems. Don't forget the thermal paste!

This is good news.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Fortunately copper is quite flexible so If there was not that much force used then the CPU 'should' be ok once the pins are only bent not broken. I have had to straighten out CPU pins before and encountered no problems (never more than 2 or 3 mind).
    How did you go about straightening the pins, I'm avoiding metal pliers but that leaves me using bits of plastic.

ScumLord wrote: »
    How did you go about straightening the pins, I'm avoiding metal pliers but that leaves me using bits of plastic.
    OP, can you post a pic / find a pic online to show how badly it is?

It doesn't look quite as bad now, I used a credit card and cable tie to straighten them out a bit. They look straight enough so I'm going to shot down to their house and see if it'll pop in, I don't want to do too much adjusting.

• Advertisement

IT LIVES!!

After 10 15 minutes of tiny adjustments to pins (the tolerances are fairly low and trying to pick one slightly off line pin was making me crossed) the CPU went in.

I got it to boot up to the point of it giving out there's no hard drive so I'm assuming it's ok (I couldn't spend any more time with it now). The speaker wasn't connected so I didn't get to hear any possible errors.

Advertisement