Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 year old LIDL system

• 19-02-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a LIDL satellite system installed about 5 years ago. The dish has been knocked a few times by the wind and I had someone realign the dish for me. I got soaked with the charge for initial installation ( E200), and doubt it's worth having anybody come out to realign the system the way it is. I am not a DIYer. :mad:

I can't realign it myself, this dish is rusty (and yes flimsy from day one). I'm wondering if anyone has replaced just the dish on these systems, whether it's worth getting someone to replace the dish, assuming the receiver still works. I know there are plenty of anti-LIDL satellite people out there, but times are tough and living in four channel land is send me 'round the twist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭horse7

noticed on bargin alerts a sat dish and hd receiver for 50euro in b and q.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

muddled1 wrote: »
    I am not a DIYer. ..... but times are tough

Those two statements are contradictory. Time to begin DIY.

Installing and aligning a dish is not difficult or expensive and there are plenty of guides to show you how. Unless you are physically disabled, you should simply go for it. All it costs is a cheap satfinder meter and a bit of patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

we had one of these and it has a signal strength feature, all you need is 2 people, a blue tooth mobile phone headset and a ladder to get up to the dish to adjust it. One person to watch the tv screen and relay the info to the person moving the dish who has a bluetooth headset on. don't have it any more so couldn't guide you through how to do it but I would think someone a little tech savvy could work it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Frankly, that might work for aligning an aerial but for a dish it won't work. The alignment is too critical. Two people can't work together to do this. Believe me I've tried and it nearly ended in divorce!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely all you need is a new dish. Your LNB is probably OK, but need to be the right size for the dish you get. You know the direction of the current dish, so you know the direction. Once you get a signal on the receiver, you can use it to improve the alignment to get it better by moving it slightly this way and that. It is not hard if you take your time.

It is not rocket science. Well, it is, but it is not hard.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

The elevation tends to go off on those dishes in windy conditions; more than likely it will have to be lowered.

On first checking, the bolts might not seem to be loose but just push a little harder . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Your local Xtravision are now selling dishes with lnb's fitted.They are pretty cheap and are Sky dishes-I know Watty hates them:) but you stated you are on a budget and anything would be better than the useless Lidl dish you have.
    I can't believe somebody charged you €200 to install the Lidl system,go DIY and with a bit of patience you'll get it right and then know what to do in future if needed.
    Here's a couple of videos to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭muddled1

"All it costs is a cheap satfinder meter and a bit of patience."

"Your local Xtravision are now selling dishes with lnb's fitted.They are pretty cheap and are Sky dishes-I know Watty hates them:) but you stated you are on a budget and anything would be better than the useless Lidl dish you have.
    I can't believe somebody charged you €200 to install the Lidl system,go DIY and with a bit of patience you'll get it right and then know what to do in future if needed.
    Here's a couple of videos to help you."

Thanks everyone for your input & advice.

You've had success with cheap satfinder?

Am checking out the Xtravision deal, because I have no way of knowing if the LNB is ok.....and I'm only assuming the receiver still works.

Please keep the comments and advice coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

muddled1 wrote: »
    You've had success with cheap satfinder?

You should have gotten one of these with your Lidl kit:

http://p.gzhls.at/370966.jpg

Plug a headphone into the socket, and connect it inline on your cable, and it works just fine. Will allow you to home in on strong sats very easily, then you can use the meter (intensity/quality) on the receiver to fine tune the dish.

It's all I've ever needed for messing with my own setup.

Advertisement