Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Air lock activity

• 19-02-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

So I started my first home brew yesterday with the Coopers kit, and used the Lager mix. After 30 hours there is virtually no airlock bubbles, but there seems to be a fair bit of head and scum on the side of the barrell.

I am thinking that I may have an air leak, cos when I was cleaning the kit, the sealed barrell was leaking some water from the lid seal. Is there anything I should do, or should I just leave it. Its in a 19 degrees room and seems to be stable at 20 degrees.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Leave it, you will be grand.

An airlock is mainly handy for seeing activity and preventing natural yeast from getting in but once your own yeast takes hold, and it sounds like it has, then you are mostly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

I've brewed about 10 kit beers and have very rarely heard or seen activity in the airlock, it seems that the seal around the lid leaves the air escape.

Nothing to worry about though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Thanks for the replies. Seems to be working, even without the airlock bubbles. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can just hold your ear to the barrel and listen for bubbling.

Advertisement