Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to Australia? Don't leave your manners at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's hilarious to see people justifying the culture of alcoholism by saying that those who reject it hate themselves. It's an argument about the same level as calling someone un-Australian. I hate to think the drunken behaviour prevalent among the current generation is anything other than a recent phenomenon. I can't imagine us being welcome overseas for long if that were the case. I think this idea that the world owes you unconditional love because of where you come from is as bad as any hypothetical self-hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mellor wrote:
    Basically my point is that I agree it's a bit sad to only drink in irish bars, but its down right pathetic to avoid them all irish bars altogether just simply because its an irish bar.
    I don't see how it's pathetic to avoid a place because of the crowd. It's a pretty important part of the pub experience for me.

Of course that's fine. but not what I said. I never mentioned the crowd.
    I said "simply because its an irish bar". Can you not see the difference.

If you choose to avoid Rosies in perth because you don't like the crowd, that's cool, i'd do the same.
    If you choose to never drink in any "irish pub", simply because its an irish pub is silly (especially if its one you've never been to or heard of). "Irish pub" is a bit of a gimmick, there are irish pubs all over the world, some are going to be full of irish, but most aren't tbh, esp outside of irish areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mellor wrote: »
    Of course that's fine. but not what I said. I never mentioned the crowd.
    I said "simply because its an irish bar". Can you not see the difference.

If you choose to avoid Rosies in perth because you don't like the crowd, that's cool, i'd do the same.
    If you choose to never drink in any "irish pub", simply because its an irish pub is silly (especially if its one you've never been to or heard of). "Irish pub" is a bit of a gimmick, there are irish pubs all over the world, some are going to be full of irish, but most aren't tbh, esp outside of irish areas.

Fair enough.

My experiences of Irish bars have not been the best so they tend to be bottom of my list of places to try in a city. Even if the crowd isn't rowdy you're guaranteed to have other Irish people there which is not something that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The article speak a lot of truth, especially regarding the Irish just sticking to other Irish. I hate that and would love to see Perth's Rosie O'Grady's burn to the ground.

I also have zero desire to ever visit the Bondi area given what I've read and heard about the place.

Is there anyone moderating the moderators? what an outrageous statement (first part)

god forbid you would actually go and find out for yourself what Bondi is like - must be a bit crap getting your viewpoints solely from what you read and hear about places. Clown.

Agreed with the majority of posters. The guy that wrote this horsesh*t, naturally in the Sindo, has a serious case of the NIMBYs going on. Let and let live ffs. The Irish community contributes a lot to the Australian economy, he could head up Kings Cross any Sat night and see worse non-Irish cases. Are we any different than lets say the Polish when they came to Ireland, the Aussies in London etc etc a lot of people feel more comfortable with their own and what gives anyone the right to say its right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

padrepio wrote: »
    Is there anyone moderating the moderators? what an outrageous statement (first part)

What exactly would you like moderated? A statement that you don't agree with?

By all means hit the report post button if it's not to your liking and we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

padrepio wrote: »

god forbid you would actually go and find out for yourself what Bondi is like - must be a bit crap getting your viewpoints solely from what you read and hear about places. Clown.
    Mod 1) no back seat modding 2) Calling someone a clown.
    Warning given

If you have a problem with a post - report it

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

major sh*tstorm in the local wentworth courier (sydney eastern suburbs -waverley area edition)over the last few weeks re: the irish.

Cant find the last months big splash online (was not good) but some of it here http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/irish-drinkers-hit-back/

and this weeks one has a good few letters from residents laying in to the Irish. One couple saying they had to sell up as it got too much for them etc etc.

(the main article a while back reaallyyy laid in to issue)

local waverley council meeting about it as well - well about the c&b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I can imagine the residents of the C&B surrounds cracking the sh1ts. The problem is not the Irish per say its the type of Irish. Its got a lot of young people mostly men with no family in the immediate area, a lot of disposable income and no release of testosterone from regular shags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

myhorse wrote: »
    major sh*tstorm in the local wentworth courier (sydney eastern suburbs -waverley area edition)over the last few weeks re: the irish.

Cant find the last months big splash online (was not good) but some of it here http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/irish-drinkers-hit-back/

and this weeks one has a good few letters from residents laying in to the Irish. One couple saying they had to sell up as it got too much for them etc etc.

(the main article a while back reaallyyy laid in to issue)

local waverley council meeting about it as well - well about the c&b.

Yes, the Irish get drunk but they’re not aggressive, said Irish Cock’n’Bull regular Sarah Mulvin.

``I’ve never encountered a problem with a drunk Irishman,’’ she said.

``For the Irish, drinking is about celebrating the good times, the Craic.

``Everyone’s dancing, celebrating life. Also if you decide you’re going to live in Bondi Junction beside four pubs, you go into it with your eyes wide open.

``If the neighbours don’t like it, why not go out and live in Dural, it’s lovely and quiet out there.’‘

That has to be a prime example of Muppetry, yer woman's going come over and suggest in the local rag where the residents should live!!! Sure she has lost all credibility for any Irish in the area coming out with a statement like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm a bit fed up of Irish people using the excuse that they are Irish to get ratarsed drunk. It's tired and pathetic at this stage...
    However, there are some horrible crimes committed in Australia, ones you read about in the local press, that are all by Aussies.
    What about the mass brawl in west sydney a few weeks back? If that were a group of Irish lads kicking off at each other....?

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That has to be a prime example of Muppetry, yer woman's going come over and suggest in the local rag where the residents should live!!! Sure she has lost all credibility for any Irish in the area coming out with a statement like that.

well supposing she worked in morketting .....:cool: strolls off whistling

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm a bit fed up of Irish people using the excuse that they are Irish to get ratarsed drunk. It's tired and pathetic at this stage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nduqd11vsnQ

2 women in that clip were embarrassing. I bet when they are sober they are full of notions about themselves. At least now they are on youtube, the whole world knows they are tools....:D:D not just "Blake"...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

CiaranC wrote: »
    I would have thought if you went to Australia and carried on like that youd blend in perfectly with the ignorant, obnoxious locals

Agreed , they are about as cultured as the people he is complaining about in the article

Zambia wrote: »
    I can imagine the residents of the C&B surrounds cracking the sh1ts. The problem is not the Irish per say its the type of Irish. Its got a lot of young people mostly men with no family in the immediate area, a lot of disposable income and no release of testosterone from regular shags.

It's not really in a residential area, (despite what the tv report shows). But there are some houses nearby.
    I've I lived there with kids, I'd be more worried about the homeless in the area than the irish on the weekend. Or else more concerning. The woman who was abducted nearby, brought to queens park and raped by two men.

But of course, some prick bouncer shoving an irish lad on a sunday is a reason to move.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not really in a residential area, (despite what the tv report shows). But there are some houses nearby.

There must be 2 CNB because the one I have been to is just beside Mackenzie St and Gardnier St, that all looked fairly residential to me. The CNB I know is hardly in the middle if an Industrial area.

Mackenzie street is residential (that's were the abduction was i think).
    Everything south of Ebley street is residential. CnB is on the edge of this area facing into the shopping centre away from the houses. Which is were the crowds go for taxis, which was my point. I can't imagine them being any noiser that the trucks, buses get go up and down all day.

Plus the tv report purposely didn't show the front of the place, they shot from he back where there are no doors (because of the houses prob). this is what irritated me really.

Just heard on the 09:00 news that police had to be called to break up a massive brawl in the Tea Gardens, 6 people charged.

more bad press for the area.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Just heard on the 09:00 news that police had to be called to break up a massive brawl in the Tea Gardens, 6 people charged.

more bad press for the area.

Happened about 6:30PM - 7:00PM Sunday night. Was on a bus and heard the drivers being warned that a major police operation was in progress at the tea gardens and to try to avoid Bronte road.

My first thought "ahhh f*ck"

• Advertisement

myhorse wrote: »
    Happened about 6:30PM - 7:00PM Sunday night. Was on a bus and heard the drivers being warned that a major police operation was in progress at the tea gardens and to try to avoid Bronte road.

My first thought "ahhh f*ck"

Yeah I just read the report from the Wentworth Courier.
    About 50 police including a police rescue and police-dog unit responded to a brawl outside the Tea Gardens Hotel in Bondi Junction last night.

About 6.20pm Sunday, February 27, Eastern Suburbs police responded to a report of eight men brawling with security staff outside the hotel on Bronte Road .
    Back-up was requested, police were soon joined by officers from Eastern Beaches and Rose Bay Local Area Commands, along with a police-dog unit and police rescue.
    Police allege the men were asked to leave the hotel due to their state of intoxication and that once outside the hotel, they began fighting with security.

Some witnesses reported seeing a pool of blood on the floor and that several detained men were wearing Gaelic football jerseys.
    Six men were eventually arrested and charged over the incident.
    Three men aged between 22 and 33 were charged with assault, affray and resist arrest; and a 26-year-old and a 21-year-old were charged with affray.

A 25-year-old was issued with an infringement notice for disobey move on direction.
    Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information that may assist police is asked to contact police at Eastern Suburbs Local Area Command via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

50 Police dragged into Bondi Junction is not a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

CiaranC wrote: »
    I would have thought if you went to Australia and carried on like that youd blend in perfectly with the ignorant, obnoxious locals

Takes one to know one. :o :rolleyes:

Oh, and don't bother coming here you sad sack of spuds.

Mod Attack the post not the poster.

And CiaranC you should know better than to stir

I reckon you might want to contact the cops over that as those guys may actually be charged.

As the same report may not have the facts correct in light of them being charged as well.

Was anyone with you?

I've thought of that, but how credibile is a statement from a fellow irishman. I was also drinking that day (had only arrive back from the UFC in acer). It was near the door so I imagine its on camera, which is prob going to make or bresk the case for eitherside depending on whats shown.
    That said, there was plenty of people that seen it. Even afterwards, everyone was over near the doors/windows of the pub looking out. So I imagine there'll be no shortage of statements if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

I live in Melbourne and yes St. Kilda is littered in Irish but also backpackers. It's somewhere I rarely go because of the British and Irish agro but of course not all are like that.

Lets get this straight, Irish do like to drink but not all are bad. Firstly the Australians and I have witnessed it, are just as up for it as the Irish make no mistake. I have seen more Aussie men trying to start fights than Irish and I've seen Aussie women act just as daft as Irish women when drunk.

I really like this country, Melbourne is a great city. The people are friendly but and this might be going off topic, there is an air of slight racism in the air and many Aussies I know will admit that and people I work with that are born abroad or have immigrant parents say it straight up.

Please don't say the Irish are all that bad, we all know what they get up to and yes it is embarrassing but the Aussies in honesty aren't far behind in terms of aggressive behaviour on booze and just general testosterone nonsense.

Just check out the schoolies last December, the stories I heard about them in 2009 was disgusting, $5000 worth of cleaning costs and I won't go into detail about what they done...

Australians do like the Irish, some will be very dismissive but that's they're problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I wonder does this reporter have any idea what "Bloody Sunday" is at all .

I'm sure he picked his header form the U2 Song and hasn't a clue .

Is it me or has it become " Kick the Irish" year down under .

Cause we now seem to be getting blamed for every fight that happens outside any place in Oz .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ozeire wrote: »
    I wonder does this reporter have any idea what "Bloody Sunday" is at all .

I'm sure he picked his header form the U2 Song and hasn't a clue .

Is it me or has it become " Kick the Irish" year down under .

Cause we now seem to be getting blamed for every fight that happens outside any place in Oz .

You started it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement