Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to Australia? Don't leave your manners at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

There seems to be a lot of police cars there

Have a look at the name of the youtube uploader ... very credible name :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=150231&stc=1&d=1299106181

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I have been a badly behaved backpacker with little respect for those around me. But life got its revenge when I came back to Oz as a permanent resident. My local bar got taken over by an Irish man and got renamed Rosies and the rowdy Irish invaded. Then I moved to the other side of the city, where very few Irish live but near a traditional Aussie bar and the same bar owner bought the bloody place. The same owner, the same barstaff and the same bloody awful music. Unfortunately I was now within hearing distance of it from my own home and had to endure Irish music every Sunday. Everyone thought it was so funny to travel so far and have to listen to an Irish session every week for 5 years. I really never want to hear "Down by the Sally Gardens" again ever......A german now owns the place and I will never live within walking distance of a pub again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mod snip ... off track

Mod Okay guys, back on track .. as a reminder the thread is about Irish people should have respect/manners for Australia

I myself am guilty of this, but I just don't want to move into a Aussie bashing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

<snip> Mod Not exactly back on track is it? ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

The Original article is sanctimonious beyond belief!

I spent 3 months travelling around Oz and a year living in Melbourne, I was with my wife and we had PR and were there with a view to spending our lives there.

I can see the point re: Bondi & Coogee & indeed St Kilda in Melbourne to a degree. I have to say when I was there in 03/04 it was more Brits than Irish but it's by the by for me, young people away from home for the first time looking for good times on a gap year before having to go home to no job and back living with the Mammy & Daddy!

If you don't think it happens elsewhere you are incredibly naive, London is the same, as mentioned elsewhere go to Acton on a Sunday to see or back when I first moved to London in 95 it was the hostels around Earls Court, Saffers, Ozzies & Kiwi's up to no good on their year away from home.

His point's about
    Its multiculturalism is remarkably successful; its people are genuinely friendly, bereft of cynicism and assiduously polite;

Is so far from the truth in my opinion it basically damns the whole piece. Australia is a hugely divided country, engage any Australian in a conversation about Aboriginal Land rights and you'll get the picture. The difference between NZ and their respect for the Maori culture & Austrlaia's treatment of the Aborigines & their culture is vast. I know Australians who are genuinely ashamed about how aborigines and the pacific Islanders have been treated.
    Visit Sydney's western suburbs or the inner western suburbs of Melbourne for a view of how the "multiculturalism is remarkably successful", to use the writers term "ghetto's" of immigrants from Lebanon, South East Asia & the sub-continent. It's a nonsense to suggest it is a successful example of multiculturalism on the basis that there are different cultures living there, the exist together but they certainly do not live together.

Finally but still on the point of its people being "genuinely friendly" and "assiduously polite" I'm a short guy, so avoid any form of physical confrontation like the plague. I'm a boring 30 something who's never been in trouble, I've lived In Dublin, London Cape Town & Melbourne. In the space of 3 months in Melbourne I was involved (as an innocent party) in 2 road rage incidents, the second of which where on hearing my accent, I was told to "f--k off back where I came from". Friendly & assiduously polite indeed!

Basically Australians & Irish are like every other race, there are some great people, I still have friends from my stay in Oz, but there are also a fair percentage of idiots who will leave a bad taste.
    The media there & here have no problems stiring it up a bit, throw in a a spoon of lazy racism for good measure, it makes a good story. I don't doubt there are incidents just as there are with migrants in Ireland but the media have a lot to answer for in they uneven way it is reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 misshassett

Hi mellor Thank you sooo much for speaking the truth.. I was wondering if youv contacted the police telling your side???? I know someone involved in the fight but they didnt do anything and i would be so grateful if you could tell the police your side as his never been in a fight and I tink tings are geting blown out of portion now

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

endabob1 wrote: »
    The Original article is sanctimonious beyond belief!

I spent 3 months travelling around Oz and a year living in Melbourne, I was with my wife and we had PR and were there with a view to spending our lives there.

I can see the point re: Bondi & Coogee & indeed St Kilda in Melbourne to a degree. I have to say when I was there in 03/04 it was more Brits than Irish but it's by the by for me, young people away from home for the first time looking for good times on a gap year before having to go home to no job and back living with the Mammy & Daddy!

If you don't think it happens elsewhere you are incredibly naive, London is the same, as mentioned elsewhere go to Acton on a Sunday to see or back when I first moved to London in 95 it was the hostels around Earls Court, Saffers, Ozzies & Kiwi's up to no good on their year away from home.

His point's about

Is so far from the truth in my opinion it basically damns the whole piece. Australia is a hugely divided country, engage any Australian in a conversation about Aboriginal Land rights and you'll get the picture. The difference between NZ and their respect for the Maori culture & Austrlaia's treatment of the Aborigines & their culture is vast. I know Australians who are genuinely ashamed about how aborigines and the pacific Islanders have been treated.
    Visit Sydney's western suburbs or the inner western suburbs of Melbourne for a view of how the "multiculturalism is remarkably successful", to use the writers term "ghetto's" of immigrants from Lebanon, South East Asia & the sub-continent. It's a nonsense to suggest it is a successful example of multiculturalism on the basis that there are different cultures living there, the exist together but they certainly do not live together.

Finally but still on the point of its people being "genuinely friendly" and "assiduously polite" I'm a short guy, so avoid any form of physical confrontation like the plague. I'm a boring 30 something who's never been in trouble, I've lived In Dublin, London Cape Town & Melbourne. In the space of 3 months in Melbourne I was involved (as an innocent party) in 2 road rage incidents, the second of which where on hearing my accent, I was told to "f--k off back where I came from". Friendly & assiduously polite indeed!

Basically Australians & Irish are like every other race, there are some great people, I still have friends from my stay in Oz, but there are also a fair percentage of idiots who will leave a bad taste.
    The media there & here have no problems stiring it up a bit, throw in a a spoon of lazy racism for good measure, it makes a good story. I don't doubt there are incidents just as there are with migrants in Ireland but the media have a lot to answer for in they uneven way it is reported.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sophia123

Irish backpackers do stand out from the rest of the backpackers. I do not agree that they are just like any other young crowd away from home. They are stangely anachronistic in their behaviour. They act like wizened old alcoholics in the way they approach their alcohol. Getting totally drunk and screaming out Irish songs all night and every night & wallowing in their "Irishness". They do not appear to have a concept of modern youth in the way that other nationalities have.
    Irish backpackers ( bunk bed boys ) rent out apartments in our complex. They're not travellers as such they're just on an international pub crawl. Words can barely describe them!! They're parochial, have a mob mentality and are basically just escaping life. No respect for anyone who has a life and has to have a good nights sleep in order to go to work. They drink, herd, urinate off balconies and to top it all off share bedrooms to save money and call it freedom! How can anyone be taken seriously when they haven't even grown up enough to be able to afford to have their own bedroom? Sharing bedrooms ( a purely business concept) in a hostel is one thing; in a residential area is another thing.

sophia123 wrote: »
    Irish backpackers do stand out from the rest of the backpackers. I do not agree that they are just like any other young crowd away from home. They are stangely anachronistic in their behaviour. They act like wizened old alcoholics in the way they approach their alcohol. Getting totally drunk and screaming out Irish songs all night and every night & wallowing in their "Irishness". They do not appear to have a concept of modern youth in the way that other nationalities have.
    Irish backpackers ( bunk bed boys ) rent out apartments in our complex. They're not travellers as such they're just on an international pub crawl. Words can barely describe them!! They're parochial, have a mob mentality and are basically just escaping life. No respect for anyone who has a life and has to have a good nights sleep in order to go to work. They drink, herd, urinate off balconies and to top it all off share bedrooms to save money and call it freedom! How can anyone be taken seriously when they haven't even grown up enough to be able to afford to have their own bedroom? Sharing bedrooms ( a purely business concept) in a hostel is one thing; in a residential area is another thing.

Want another brush to tar us all with? :rolleyes:
    All backpackers share bedrooms - not an Irish thing

• Advertisement

Reply to Hussey:
    Yes, all backpackers share bedrooms ( roll eyes back ).
    I repeat: this is a business concept utilised in backpacker hostels: not a residential concept!
    Other nationalities have done the same thing in our complex too. However, only the Irish backpackers have caused the utmost disruption. I question any backpacker employing a business concept in a residential area. However, it is the Irish backpackers that have taken the concept to another level and act as though they're still in a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest to sound a little bitter.
    Just because somebody has a different lifestyle does not make you better than them.
    You don't have to 9 to 5 it everyday to have a life, frankly, some would consider than not having a life.

I imagine if most people were boring and never left the house outside of work they could afford their own room.

Reply to Hussey:
    Yes, all backpackers share bedrooms ( roll eyes back ).
    I repeat: this is a business concept utilised in backpacker hostels: not a residential concept!
    Other nationalities have done the same thing in our complex too. However, only the Irish backpackers have caused the utmost disruption. I question any backpacker employing a business concept in a residential area. However, it is the Irish backpackers that have taken the concept to another level and act as though they're still in a hostel.

Who are you to dictate how other people live? When I first came over I had little money and couldn't afford to shell out $150+ a week, so I shared a bedroom,
    Also does your rule also apply to the thousands of uni students who share rooms?

so when people share a room it is not a "residential concept" but a "business concept" ... Get off your high horse, where do you suggest people sleep?

Also only it is only the "Irish in your building" not all Irish backpackers, please don't tar us with the same brush - I'm sure you can find plenty of Australians in London/Dublin who have the same behaviour

"Just because somebody has a different lifestyle does not make you better than them."

If their lifestyle disrupts other people then there is cause for concern. I do not have a lifestyle which would disrupt other people! I certainly have respect for people who have to rest in order to go to work the next day. The Irish backpackers think they have the freedom to do what ever they want; when they want & where they want.

You seem to be responding with rhetorical abstract reasoning to what are essentially concrete experiences. One would say trying to defend the non defensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I am not a backpacker but I think there is nothing wrong with sharing a bedroom, in fact I myself share a bedroom ..........and dare I say it even a bed with my wife.

I highly recomend it.

If their lifestyle disrupts other people then there is cause for concern.
    I do not have a lifestyle which would disrupt other people! I certainly have respect for people who have to rest in order to go to work the next day. The Irish backpackers think they have the freedom to do what ever they want; when they want & where they want.

This isn't because they all share a bedroom, or are Irish, it's because they are pr*cks ...
    You are implying all Irish backpackers are like this, and that is what we are offended about, and some rant about how people shouldn't share a room
    You seem to be responding with rhetorical abstract reasoning to what are essentially concrete experiences. One would say trying to defend the non defensible.

Nobody is defending them we are defending backpackers who share a room and are Irish, who don't do these things.

You are tarring us all with the same brush .... Capish?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody defended them. They are probably louts. You are using "concrete experiences" relating to one group of people to form your opinion of a whole country.

It's ridiculous.

Well I dont understand how its a "backpacker employing a business concept", surely its the landlord or body corp thats employing the business concept?

In fairness Sofia I understand that you are annoyed by the behavior of some of my fellow countrymen, myself and a few other friends used to live in Randwick many years ago and moved to the innerwest to get away from the whole 'Bondi Trap' mentality. But to be honest not every Irish backpacker that lands at Sydney airport is a drunken fool, many bring plenty of money, skills and culture to our country.

Anytme I have rented a place we were instructed by the agent/landlord as to the max limit of adults allowed to reside there and it was respected, may I suggest if you have a problem with the noise/behavior you contact the Body Corp and make a complaint. I am sure this would be more productive than taking a cheap shot at an entire nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Where is this place and what suburb?

"You are using "concrete experiences" relating to one group of people to form your opinion of a whole country."

I am recording my observations. There have been many Irish backpackers in our complex & have caused many problems. In forming an opinion of a "whole country" I would not be relating to the backpackers in our complex.

It may or not be a coincidence that the backpackers who cause problems here have been Irish. Yes, they're louts. However, it still does not explain to me why it's the Irish backpackers that cause the problems. We have had many nationalities here - it is the Irish that have caused the problems. Urinating off balconies is the one that shocks the whole street!

I am simply trying to identify what is going on. Burying ones head in the sand and just saying "they're louts" or "you're having a cheap shot"etc does not explain in a satisfactory manner what is going on. Why do they wallow in their "Irishness" and drink more than anyone we have ever seen?

• Advertisement

I am simply trying to identify what is going on. Burying ones head in the sand and just saying "they're louts" or "you're having a cheap shot"etc does not explain in a satisfactory manner what is going on. Why do they wallow in their "Irishness" and drink more than anyone we have ever seen?

No you're trolling .... coming on to an Irish forum and tarring us all with the same brush ... No more please, how can we explain actions of people we never meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I blame cheap air travel.

A pet hate of mine is those bloody jerseys. Wearing one abroad is akin to an Englishman donning the St George's Cross flag.
    I spotted someone in Prague wearing a county jersey, with the irish flag wrapped around him, a football pattern shaved into his hair dancing in a nightclub with 2 beers in his hands.

As for the Aussies I have never met a people so keen on fighting and so low on morals. My experience of the expat Aussies I've met in particular (quite a few of them btw) is that they never pay their bill and would stab their brother to get a girl.

Back to the Irish abroad;
    Cheap air travel is letting the worst of us out. A 400% travel tax should do nicely.

There are a few generalizations to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Go to any major city that's on the backpacker trail and you'll find the same situation, go to London and you'll find Australians, Kiwis, South Africans sleeping 2,3,4 to a room in flats & houses to save money for later travels; Go to the Redback in Acton on a Sunday morning and tell me it's "normal"? Dozens of Antipodeans getting pi$$ed an looking for a small slice of home. The average age of most backpackers is very early 20's far away from home letting loose, it gets out of hand sometimes, fact of life whatever the nationality.

You should record it on video and then post it on here so we can all get the picture, that would be more useful than making generalisations that all Irish are the same. Really you are starting to lose credibilty by tarring everyone with the same brush.

What suburb/area is this complex in and what is your estimation as to how many of these people live there?

Mod I asked people to stop this tarring with same brush, Yellows handed out - next one will be red, it's pure trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Jaysus! Reading all this would nearly make me afraid to wear my Munster/Ireland jersey when I get to Melbourne.......... :(

I can't understand why people are tarring all Irish with the same brush! Yes there's obviously a percentage of them that get hammered and act the maggot over there..... but sure other nationalities do it too... the same as on a regular sun holiday in Spain/Portugal/Greece....

I could just as easily start mouthing off about the British just because they've been loud when I've been on hols etc abroad!

Unfortunately, this happens everywhere you go and it's not just the Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Sorry Sophie, i dont see what your problem is.
    Its Irish tradition and a right of passage!! They are now considered men and will be respected by all who meet them! And here's you complaining about this. How dare you insult this important Irish, sorry OIRISH tradition that we all undertake throughout life!:mad::p:p

On a lighter note, this is a few people in probably a party complex literally taking the piss. I was an Irish backpacker, as im sure a lot of people on this forum are, and i was respectful of my surrounding but still let the hair down for a bit of craic. Maybe you should join them and lighten up.
    Munky

And what does trolling mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Jaysus! Reading all this would nearly make me afraid to wear my Munster/Ireland jersey when I get to Melbourne.......... :(

I can't understand why people are tarring all Irish with the same brush! Yes there's obviously a percentage of them that get hammered and act the maggot over there..... but sure other nationalities do it too... the same as on a regular sun holiday in Spain/Portugal/Greece....

I could just as easily start mouthing off about the British just because they've been loud when I've been on hols etc abroad!

Unfortunately, this happens everywhere you go and it's not just the Irish!

Irish backpackers have a bad reputation abroad some of it un-deserved but alot of it is deserved unfortunately. You dont see germans, swiss, french, spanish etc do what the Irish do in places like Bondi. Of course not all are like that but there is a sizable minority that do.

Wearing GAA and rugby jerseys abroad? To me it is just a sign of insecurity. The only times it would be acceptable is Paddys day or when going to an actual match with Ireland in it! Otherwise what are trying to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I can understand some of what Sophia123 is saying.

When I travel, it's to immerse myself in other cultures. I don't go to Irish bars and I don't settle in Irish-inhabited locations. My Irishness is simply a part of who I am. It's not something I wear like a suit of armour to protect me in all interactions abroad.

I have never referred to myself as 'a paddy'. I don't own a GAA jersey (was never a fan when I lived in Ireland), but I find the culture of wearing sporting jerseys anywhere expect to sporting events to be a little odd regardless of what nationality is doing it.

As for singing the rebel songs loudly while getting drunk seven nights a week, sleeping 20 to a room and pissing off balconies, part of that behaviour is because some young Irish people seem to be more concerned with perpetuating the concept of the drunk Irish than they are with anything else. The other part of it is the amount of alcohol consumed - very few nationalities behave well when plastered. If you're going to be plastered seven nights a week, you're probably going to behave quite badly on a more regular basis than if you were sober.

However when it comes to the behaviour Sophia123 is describing, I don't those people are behaving that way because they're Irish.

I think it's because they're fuckin eejits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The snobbery towards people who wear jerseys as a casual item of clothing is bloody annoying. I'm no Eire 32 head but I'll wear my Dublin jersey on a Saturday afternoon while out shopping or my Shelbourne jacket when it's pissing down with rain. They're, imo, nice and comfortable.

Granted there are **** who wear it as some sort of uniform but they're also the type who don't see anything but the inside of an Irish bar so aren't all that significant anyway in the grand scheme of things.

Is someone who wears a U2 t-shirt (god forbid) seen in the same light? Of course not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement